PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2009, 04:38 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Axim X51v, Tilt, 8525 VX6900, Imagio
Carrier: AT&T & Verizon

jadesse is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Verizon Wireless Blows!!!

I recently switched jobs & my new company uses Verizon Wireless as their provider. Coming from AT&T where I also have two personal lines for the wife & kid I was surprised at the racket Verizon has going on. I do have an AT&T tilt now without service that I am using as my GPS & organizer.

I was hoping to purchase a Touch Pro form Verizon & have it ported onto my companies plan. I want the Touch Pro because I only want to carry one device instead of 2 or 3. I started doing a little bit of research & found that Verizon lock their GPS. This so that you are stuck with paying $10 for their VZ Navigator. There is a fix to supposedly unlock the GPS on the Verizon Touch Pro over at ppcgeeks.com.

Verizon locking the GPS is one thing but requiring a data plan on the Touch Pro is another whole ball of wax. I didn't find this out until I swiped my credit card for the purchase of the Touch Pro at full price ($559 +Tax). I explained to them that I wanted to buy the phone out right & just have the month to month contract. Then cancel the service once the phone is ported over to corporate plan. The woman checked the account under my corporate number & nothing could be added without prior company approval. The mandatory data plan should have been explained to me from the start. Needless to say once the phone arrives I will be dropping it off & the Verizon store.

Is there any way to get around this? I fail to understand why I can't use the phone without the data plan. Any suggestions or advice will be appreciated. I will probably just be stuck using my Tilt & the company phone.

I thought about switch my two personal lines over to Verizon but that is going to happen. I would rather my wife have to pay to call me then give Verizon one single dime.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:57 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

Indie is becoming a PPCGeeks regularIndie is becoming a PPCGeeks regularIndie is becoming a PPCGeeks regularIndie is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: Verizon Wireless Blows!!!

Switch to Sprint. You get more for your money on your plan, and you can still get rid of that god awful AT&T service and network and still get access to the Verizon Network as well as the Speed of the Sprint Network. It's win win for you.

Oh and I was on Verizon for 5+ years, not once in that time was AT&T offering me anything that was cheaper, especially nothing worth dealing with thier horrible customer serivce for.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:10 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: RHOD500
Carrier: VZW

vzwdts is keeping up the good workvzwdts is keeping up the good work

Calm down, VZW is unlocking the GPS on the newer PDA devices. As for the data plan, it IS a PDA...

Sprint is okay if you can deal with the industry's worst customer service (or at least, just find the number for Retentions if you actually need assistance. They are informed and they can help you).
Old 02-04-2009, 07:19 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo 4g & TP 2
Carrier: Dan.

coolwhip1220 is halfway to VIP status based on repcoolwhip1220 is halfway to VIP status based on repcoolwhip1220 is halfway to VIP status based on repcoolwhip1220 is halfway to VIP status based on repcoolwhip1220 is halfway to VIP status based on repcoolwhip1220 is halfway to VIP status based on repcoolwhip1220 is halfway to VIP status based on repcoolwhip1220 is halfway to VIP status based on repcoolwhip1220 is halfway to VIP status based on repcoolwhip1220 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vzwdts View Post
Calm down, VZW is unlocking the GPS on the newer PDA devices. As for the data plan, it IS a PDA...

Sprint is okay if you can deal with the industry's worst customer service (or at least, just find the number for Retentions if you actually need assistance. They are informed and they can help you).
I've been with Sprint for over 7 years, and had never had a problem with customer service. Just make sure if somethings not getting handeled ask to speak to a supervisor, that easy. Verizon's a *****, I had them on my work phone., and will never use them again.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:48 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

gxip is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Why don't you buy a sprint touch pro at retail price and then port it over to verizon. I know this still doesn't fix the issue with the data plan, but at least you get more ram and you can wait for your company to pay for it (if thats the case). Either way you fix the gps lock issue. I'm guessing that if you can wait and use it with your company's plan you won't have to add the data plan, since your company won't approve it...

EDIT: Oh wow, I see you have an issue with them approving the phone to your company's account. Sorry bout that, I don't know how you could deal with that.

Last edited by gxip; 02-04-2009 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:19 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 and every single phone verizon had...
Carrier: Verizon

Noir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIP

echoing in on the consensus why not buy a sprint version and use pay per kb plan? that should work...
Old 02-04-2009, 08:30 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Evo

jimd144 is keeping up the good workjimd144 is keeping up the good work

They all require a data plan.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:25 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: VZN TP
Carrier: VZN

Mylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

you can pay per KB instead of being charged for a plan. thats how i have my 6800. no data plan.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:51 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: AllTel HTC Hero
Carrier: Alltel

DMWagner is becoming a great contributor

A year ago, my Alltel rep told me that if I wanted to go with a no data plan, I had to pay full price for the phone which is what the OP did in this case.

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion