PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2011, 08:21 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: sprint

snowplow54 is keeping up the good worksnowplow54 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to snowplow54
trouble receiving calls

Lately i havent been able to receive incoming calls, and my text messages come in way late. My GF and I both have sprint, and we're both having the same problem. It can't be software because i have an Evo and she has an Arrive. This has been going on for a few days now, and we've never had this problem before. I tried calling Sprint and they said they would give me a free Airrave, but then later wanted to charge me for it... I'm not paying for their network problems. Is there anything else we can try?
Old 04-19-2011, 07:03 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 (sprint)

tom023 is a n00b
Re: trouble receiving calls

i am having same issue. i have tp2 on sprint. missing aprox 30% of incoming calls. also, many calls only ring twice before going to voicemail. additionally, call waiting is not working.
snowplow: have you heard anything yet?

I have tested using skype calling my own cell #, many don't go through. and had other people complain when calling me-- out of aproximately 30 calls (tests or actual incoming calls)over 3 days, about 30% of them are not coming through. 0% of call waiting calls are beeping in. i have not found a pattern. doesn't have anything to do with my reception since im in same spot i had perfect flawless reception for 1.5 years. in urban downtown minneapolis.

however, i figured (and still assume) it has something to do with 1 of 2 major changes I made, including either:
1) integrated with google voice right at the time this happened (opted to keep my sprint # and discard my old GV#)
2) at same time i integrated with GV, I flashed Vin's feb 10th ROM, first time i've flashed a rom, but i did it carefully and believe i know what i'm doing/have done everything properly. nobody else reports similar issues in vin's thread.

others have mentioned their call waiting was fixed by calling sprint since it apparently was a carrier issue. but i don 'tknow if that applies to the missed incoming calls.

frustrating, not sure what i'm going to do next yet..

anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited by tom023; 04-19-2011 at 07:05 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:05 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowplow54 View Post
Lately i havent been able to receive incoming calls, and my text messages come in way late. My GF and I both have sprint, and we're both having the same problem. It can't be software because i have an Evo and she has an Arrive. This has been going on for a few days now, and we've never had this problem before. I tried calling Sprint and they said they would give me a free Airrave, but then later wanted to charge me for it... I'm not paying for their network problems. Is there anything else we can try?
maybe ask in arrive forum
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom023 View Post
i am having same issue. i have tp2 on sprint. however, additionally, call waiting is not working.
snowplow: have you heard anything yet?

I have tested using skype calling my own cell #, many don't go through. and had other people complain when calling me-- out of aproximately 30 calls (tests or actual incoming calls)over 3 days, about 30% of them are not coming through. 0% of call waiting calls are beeping in. i have not found a pattern. doesn't have anything to do with my reception since im in same spot i had perfect flawless reception for 1.5 years. in urban downtown minneapolis.

however, i figured (and still assume) it has something to do with 1 of 2 major changes I made, including either:
1) integrated with google voice right at the time this happened (opted to keep my sprint # and discard my old GV#)
2) at same time i integrated with GV, I flashed Vin's feb 10th ROM, first time i've flashed a rom, but i did it carefully and believe i know what i'm doing/have done everything properly. nobody else reports similar issues in vin's thread.

others have mentioned their call waiting was fixed by calling sprint since it apparently was a carrier issue. but i don 'tknow if that applies to the missed incoming calls.

frustrating, not sure what i'm going to do next yet..

anyone have any suggestions?
maybe ask in tp2 forum
Old 04-20-2011, 06:19 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Threadstarter

snowplow54 is keeping up the good worksnowplow54 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to snowplow54

@darren: I believe this is the right forum since this is an issue with 3 different phones with 3 very different OS's. The only constant is Sprint.

@Tom: I haven't figured anything else out. It could be the area I'm in, I just moved. im in the same town just a different apartment. But the thing is I didn't have this issue right away. I moved, my coverage was fine, then all of a sudden stopped working... if it weren't for google voice notifying me of my missed calls I would never know anyone was trying to call me. I think there might be an issue with a nearby tower.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:03 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 (sprint)

tom023 is a n00b

update from my original post:
Did a lot more testing and went through 3 phone calls of troubleshooting with sprint. Bottom line is that the calls not ringing through, and call waiting not working comes down to google voice:
  • this appears almost certainly to be an issue with google voice.*
  • only resolution I have found is to disable the integration of google voice with your sprint number, and then possibly (at least in my case) take additional steps to ensure its cleared off of sprint's and GV's system. (in particular the call forwarding that it puts into sprint's system).* Then, everything works flawlessly again with sprint on its own.
  • I absolutely do not recommend integrating google voice with sprint at this time, since it is so unreliable on multiple fronts.* That is, unless you are OK with not receiving any call waiting, and missing about 1 out of every 3 calls (on average-- sometimes more sometimes less in any given hour).

Also to know:
  • The cooked rom doesn't seem to have anything to do with it (Vin's feb 10th rom for tp2). was completely independent of this.
  • On the bright side, text messaging with gv/sprint still seemed to work reliably while everything else was dysfunctional.* but i didn't test too heavily.
  • you can still get some value from google voice by using it separately for text messaging only.
  • by keeping my google voice number separate, in my experience the ability to send text messaging and have it copy the texts to my sprint phone, is very reliable (over last 14+ months). saves a lot of time.* Minor issues of wierd formatting on some txt replies (if > 160 char) but overall its not bad.

Other technical details:
  • when i initially reported this issue to sprint tech support last night, they said there was call forwarding still sitting on my account which never got properly cleared off. oddly, this was from a number (verizon) i temporarily forwarded to back in fall of 2009, and then had disconnected that number and turned off forwarding (in 09).* ultimately this doesn't seem to have anything to do with my GV issues, but its possible that google voice still had that forwarding number in thier system-- and at the time of integration that number carried into sprint's forwarding. * she said it was half cleared off and she proceeded to completely get rid of it. but that didn't fix the issue even after 12+ hours
  • upon re-activating the integration of google voice with sprint,on the very first phone call just seconds after re-activating, the issues started up instantaneously,* (no call waiting, missed calls).

A bit of searching turned up this thread including the following:
http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/voice/thread?tid=702e1ef9bd361557&hl=en>
4/1/11
"I've been using (or trying to use) GV for a year and a half now. It's never been perfect. There's always been some problem or another, but I've always dealt with them in the hopes that the service just had some bugs to be worked out. I've had more missed calls, lost voicemails, undelivered/unreceived texts in the past month than I care to count.
It was a great idea, but after more than a year, the novelty has worn off. Google Voice is a farce."
==
I'm going to look into other voicemail transcription options or just live with the issues.* does anyone have recommendations for where to point me for alternatives for a voicemail transcription service?* I would be interested to hear about experiences with reliability of same.* I'll do a general search or post a new topic on that.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:37 AM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

hey OP. where in IL do u live? if its anywhere near me u could be experiencing some of the same issues i am, i posted about it along with the reason y this is going on in this thread below: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/carrier-di...ad-sprint.html

i also don't know y one has to call and ask around to find out that the problem is currently on their end! the reps working in the store are also aware of this issue but there's no official notice of it on the site ,or anywhere for that matter. nor is there an ETA as to when this will be fixed if it ever is!

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion