PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2010, 09:24 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Verizon XV6900
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Mycle78 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Upgrade Swap?

I have asked about activating a sprint or U.S. Cellular phone on Verizon and not being required to get a data plan. So far the only answers I've got are Yes, I think so, and I don't know. I'm willing to try it if anyone want's to trade upgrades with me. I've been eligible for an upgrade through verizon for 5 or 6 years I think. I just realized that this is like throwing away money, since I could have upgraded and sold multiple phones by now. Anyway, I would like to come by a Touch Pro 2 (non-Verizon) if anyone wants to trade for a Omnia 2 or Fathom, or whatever Verizon has to offer. You can see their upgrade options on their website.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:03 PM
Still a Geek
Pocket PC: GalaxyS Fascinate; Bold 9650 on the shelf incase!
Carrier: VZW/Sprint

eenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Re: Upgrade Swap?

Verizon won't activate any phone that is not Verizon branded.

BrennB
Old 07-09-2010, 03:17 PM
PPCG's Travelling Nomad
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 3
Carrier: Sprint

Mojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on rep

there was a point in time when big red activated other cdma phones on their network. but i've read somewhere before that they had stopped doing it.

Never argue with a stupid person. First, they'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!
Old 07-09-2010, 03:30 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Its not 100% impossible but is 99.999% impossible..here is why..Verizon will not activate any phone that is not on their ESN list...so to get it activated you gotta get your phone on Verizon's ESN list...an agent can't do it for you, neither can a supervisor...so there is no person you can directly call to get it done..you have to "know people"...

There is another way you can do it yourself, but it is illegal in the US

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 07-09-2010, 09:10 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Mycle78 is a n00b

Do other carriers do it? Seriously considering switching.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:27 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycle78 View Post
Do other carriers do it? Seriously considering switching.
Most CDMA carriers in the US don't do it...GSM carriers as long as you know how to unlock the phone and it supports the bands you can use on any GSM phone on any network.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:25 PM
Founder & Owner
Pocket PC: iPhone XS Max

Wideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to Wideawake

Only carrier that allows any cdma phone is gonna be someone like cricket and I think metropcs, these are the only two carriers to allow this. Which to be honest, I personally wouldn't call them a carrier.

gTen made a great point tho that gsm you could do this, but again has to be unlocked and support the proper band.

Why wouldn't you just upgrade to the Touch Pro 2 (VZW Branded) on Verizon?
~mike

Old 07-11-2010, 02:45 AM
"The Fuzzy One"

To note on Metropcs..they got 2 different networks..CDMA network and AWS network...they will only take CDMA phones if your area is NOT in an AWS network...and obviously CDMA phones won't work in AWS network areas either...
Old 07-11-2010, 10:27 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Mycle78 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wideawake View Post
Only carrier that allows any cdma phone is gonna be someone like cricket and I think metropcs, these are the only two carriers to allow this. Which to be honest, I personally wouldn't call them a carrier.

gTen made a great point tho that gsm you could do this, but again has to be unlocked and support the proper band.

Why wouldn't you just upgrade to the Touch Pro 2 (VZW Branded) on Verizon?
~mike

Because the TP2 adds 30 a month to my bill.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:34 AM
Founder & Owner
Pocket PC: iPhone XS Max

Wideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to Wideawake

Yeah any smartphone with any company is gonna carry that extra charge per month. Well at least all the big names "Verizon, Sprint & ATT". Also if you upgrade your line and give to someone, that does extend your 2 yr commitment and also make the ETF 350 bones.
~mike

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion