PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2010, 09:05 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC 3VO 3D
Carrier: Sprint

Mswezey is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMswezey is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMswezey is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMswezey is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Mswezey Send a message via MSN to Mswezey Send a message via Yahoo to Mswezey Send a message via Skype™ to Mswezey
Question about Sprint's Contract

Probably a stupid question but I'm just curious and throwing around the idea.

Well my contract with Sprint is up in January. Well it's not technically my contract, it's my Moms as I got the cell phone in her name when I got my first job when I turned 17. I am now 19/College Student and have pretty decent credit (760 ish) and I was wondering if there was any way I could get "out" of this contract and sign a new one with them in my name and not get charged a cancellation fee?

One reason to do this is just to get the phone service in my name (Yes I know it won't positively effect my credit but could negatively if I don't pay my bills on time).

Second reason is because the Evo is coming out really soon and I want that phone!!!! Which I am hoping that if I could get this done maybe I could get a 2 year contract discount!? Maybe...

Which thinking about it I know it would sorta screw Sprint over in a sense that I am not waiting till January to get my $150-200 phone credit.

But even if I could get away a $75-100 phone credit it would be worth it to me!

So does anyone know if this would be possible or have done something similar to this?

Thanks!
Old 05-02-2010, 09:32 PM
Still a Geek
Pocket PC: GalaxyS Fascinate; Bold 9650 on the shelf incase!
Carrier: VZW/Sprint

eenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Re: Question about Sprint's Contract

I would think for the first part you could swap the account to your name via the "transfer of liability" route similar to how they sell sero accounts on here. You and your mom would have to either be on a 3 way call or go to the store to swap. As for getting early upgrade on top of it, probably not but then again, you never know!

BrennB
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:17 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Mswezey is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMswezey is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMswezey is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMswezey is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to Mswezey Send a message via MSN to Mswezey Send a message via Yahoo to Mswezey Send a message via Skype™ to Mswezey

Oh Okay, doesn't sound too difficult! I probably give that a try later this month.
Thanks for the advice! I'll probably just post on this thread again with my results that way anyone else that is curious about it can know what went down.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:02 PM
Still a Geek

eenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Thats a great idea! Come on back and let us know what you find out. Also how, if you were successful, you went about getting an early upgrade. I'm due in July and want one now!
Old 05-04-2010, 06:51 AM
Blabber mouth
Pocket PC: MoPho
Carrier: Sprint.... for now

cornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

yea the TOL is really easy. but go to sprint and set up an account first it will save lots of time. (don't get a number) just set up an account and get your credit run etc that way the TOL will only take like 3 minutes. i did that for my wifes plan a year back having my own line already it was cake.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:54 AM
Still a Geek

Ah good catch, get things set and approved first.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:20 PM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead
Carrier: T-Mobile

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornelious2 View Post
yea the TOL is really easy. but go to sprint and set up an account first it will save lots of time. (don't get a number) just set up an account and get your credit run etc that way the TOL will only take like 3 minutes. i did that for my wifes plan a year back having my own line already it was cake.

yeah this is about your best bet, so when you do get the TOL all the hassles will be over.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:17 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Awesome! sounds easier than I thought before.

One quick question though...

The account I am on now isn't on to good standing with sprint. I get my bills paid but there has been times where I am late and a few times where my service got restricted because i've delayed paying them for a month or so.

Would doing the TOL bring this "not so good history" over to my name or would it be better waiting and getting a brand new account with my name?

I know starting this summer and for the future I'll be able to make all my payments on time.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:17 PM
Still a Geek

Not sure on that but usually they just put a spending limit on the account.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:30 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Yeah I have a spending limit on it now and it's been there from the start.
I'd like to get off of it though since it charge $5 a month for that feature.
Once I am out for the summer and working for my dad again I'll actually give Sprint a call and see that they say and reply back with my findings.

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion