PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2010, 07:14 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

turbochris is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
VZW lying?

I was speaking with a VZW rep, trying to upgrade a phone. I was a little upset as to how many of the nicer phones need a data plan and asked her why it couldn't be per megabyte if I planned on little or no data usage. She told me it's because smartphones, from the moment they're turned on, are constantly shuffling data back and forth through the network. I told her I had a smart phone and unless the data connection was on, how could it be pushing data back and forth?

If it is pushing data back and forth, then it's probably the crapware they jam into the thing when they build it.

I travel so i like the coverage, other than that VZW is extortion
Old 01-26-2010, 10:42 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: PPC6800 > HTC Touch Pro (Alltel!) > HTC Incredible
Carrier: Alltel -> VZW

Ed Zachary is becoming a great contributor
Re: VZW lying?

The real reason: Verizon policy. Plain and simple.
The reason behind the policy: more money.

Verizon reps, supervisors, and managers do not have the power to go against policy.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:12 PM
Mr. Chevy
Pocket PC: Kaiser, XV6800, Ozone, & TP2
Carrier: Linearly polarized plane waves in LTE modulation

drewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

I got a free TP2 and talked them into 6 months of free data plan since my old one XV6800 did not require one.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:55 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

wow. I've been on the phone with them for 2 days and I couldn't get crap out of them. I told them my XV6700 didn't need a data plan and when I got my TP2 they kind of snuck it in there.

What really pissed me off is I considered a motorola droid for my son, I looked at their site and some of the phones state you need to add a data plan, well the droid said nothing about it in that add. I told my son he could have any phone that didn't need a data plan, he picked the droid, i even called and asked and they said I already had a data plan and my bill would not go up. Well, it was all misinformation, I can't fork out another $30 a month and now my son is disappointed.

I called everyone from CS to marketing and they siad either take it or leave it. I'm already paying out the a** with them....
Old 01-26-2010, 06:40 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: Sprint

sorge is becoming a great contributor

There is very little reason to have a smart phone without data....get an envy3....oh wait you still have to pay 10 bucks a month with that for 25 mbs of web......oh go to sprint and pay less.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:06 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

I tried sprint, the coverage down here in the southeast just plain suuuuuucks
Old 01-26-2010, 08:30 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

siptang1227 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsiptang1227 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsiptang1227 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsiptang1227 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Im living in south east US as well and my coverage is great. If you have tp2 then you can change the radio to verizon radio, it will probably boost your signal.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:25 AM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead
Carrier: T-Mobile

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbochris View Post
I tried sprint, the coverage down here in the southeast just plain suuuuuucks

whaa?

I'm in Houston with excellent coverage, I recently drove to Tampa and had great coverage the entire drive, thru Alabama, Mississippi, Who Dat Nation, and Florida, I was in tampa for 2 weeks and never had any coverage problems either 3G or radio, where are you?
Old 01-28-2010, 12:00 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

I'm in Augusta. When I'm near a big city or on the interstate, sprint wasn't too bad, but anywhere else and it got bad, verizon is way better. At my home I pulled download speeds of .2 mb with sprint, with vzw it's around 1.2
Old 02-05-2010, 01:26 AM
Older than Dirt!
Pocket PC: Galaxy S3
Carrier: sprint

Thundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewcam888 View Post
I got a free TP2 and talked them into 6 months of free data plan since my old one XV6800 did not require one.
I was informed by verizon, that as of 1-18-10 ALL smartphones that are to be activated will require a data plan. So if you get a replacement phone, like a xv6700, or a xv6800, you can't activate it without data plan 29.99

I have never needed a data plan. Wifi works perfect for me. I don't get emails that I have to read right away.

Now don't get me wrong... I had a data plan for 6 or 7 months and kinda liked the convience of being able to look things up on the net when not near wifi, but it really is just a luxury for me.

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion