PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2010, 03:28 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Mogul 6800
Carrier: Alltel

boblpn is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thumbs up FYI - Alltel data users

From my own personal usage experience;

If this is common knowledge, I apologize, but the following may help save some users some $ on their monthly bill if they are non-the-wiser.

If you are an Alltel user, and bring your own phone to Alltel to avoid a contract, you ARE NOT required to be suckered into a data plan, unless that's what you want.

I opted out of the data plan, but, I do occasionally use the Internet on my Titan 6800 to check email; at MOST, probably 2x a day, some days not at all, and for no more than 5 or 10 minutes. Also occasionally use Google Maps.

With this low usage, I am not charged for any data minutes. I have been doing this for close to a year, and have not been charged. I'm sure there's probably a threshold where they look at data usage, and if they do tag you, I've been told that you might incure a $1.99 per day charge for a day-rate usage.

So, if you are a light to rare data user on Alltel, you may be able to save yourself some $$ by letting your contract expire, and dump your data plan.

And yes, I still have Alltel. In my market area (MI), VZW isn't slated to take over or change the signage for another year or two.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:39 PM
I see you have a PPC.
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Borged Alltel

MrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Re: FYI - Alltel data users

VZW took over here. Get out while you still can. It's been absolute hell but at least they aren't screwing up the bill like some people.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:02 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Alltel

griffincash is a n00b

I bought my touch pro from ebay and when I activated it, the rep asked if I wanted the data plan. I said no. However I kept the $5/month mobile web. When I got my bill it had my data usage listed at 99,999K and beside it was UNLIMITED, so I'm pretty happy and will be sad when AT&T takes over. Then I bought a Blackberry from ebay and tried to do the same, but because(according the the local store) of the "blackberry server service" I couldn't opt out of the $40/month. However my sister who doesn't have the mobile web on her plan(she has a moto q9c) can access the web free of the $1.99/day charge but is charged by the minute. This is only a problem because WM phones don't disconnect the data connection after use. Anyway the point is for $40 less than what they wanted me to pay, I get unlimited data and messaging.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:50 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Diamond
Carrier: Alltel Prepaid

Nosey is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffincash View Post
I bought my touch pro from ebay and when I activated it, the rep asked if I wanted the data plan. I said no. However I kept the $5/month mobile web. When I got my bill it had my data usage listed at 99,999K and beside it was UNLIMITED, so I'm pretty happy and will be sad when AT&T takes over. Then I bought a Blackberry from ebay and tried to do the same, but because(according the the local store) of the "blackberry server service" I couldn't opt out of the $40/month. However my sister who doesn't have the mobile web on her plan(she has a moto q9c) can access the web free of the $1.99/day charge but is charged by the minute. This is only a problem because WM phones don't disconnect the data connection after use. Anyway the point is for $40 less than what they wanted me to pay, I get unlimited data and messaging.

how did you get them to let you get the let you opt out? I tried to get my diamond on a new account I opened with them and they said I had to get the full package. I currently use my diamond on a prepaid plan where I pay .10/min on the data, I just keep the data turned off on my diamond unless I need it, but it would be nice to opt out and pay the 5/month, but they wouldn't let me, probaly cause when I called to add it they asked what kind of phone it was and I said a htc diamond...

any advice on how to do this with them?
Old 01-14-2010, 09:25 PM
Chillin' with my Geeks!
Pocket PC: Epic 4G & Iphone is my toy :)
Carrier: Sprint/PPCGeeks

GirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

If you are in contract you have to have it. If you are out of contract as stated above, you can opt out of it.

If you wanna make the world a better place take a look at yourself and then make a change ~Michael Jackson
Old 01-20-2010, 04:40 AM
I see you have a PPC.
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Borged Alltel

MrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

I couldn't with my Diamond.

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion