PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2011, 08:09 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

manekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
FRX04 Fix: Improved app compatibility and speed via build.prop

I have a fix for non-developers on FRX04 that should improve both application performance and compatibility. tiad8's builds already contain this improvement. I'm not sure whether things were setup originally in FRX04 this way intentionally to help with development, but if the setup was not intentional, then it'd also be good if someone could bring this to the attention of the relevant developers to change for the next version of FRX04.

Stock FRX04 shows incompatibility with certain programs, notably, everyone's favorite Angry Birds Lite is a good example. This is easy to verify, just download and install and verify that it crashes to home screen. Available here:
Angry Birds Lite Beta - Android app on AppBrain

This is caused by this line in the build.prop file:
ro.kernel.android.checkjni=1

According to documentation, enabling this option "will cause the system to run more slowly" as it runs more checks for properly written code, which can help developers to "spot a variety of nasty bugs before they have a chance to cause problems". Since most users aren't developers and aren't using this feature, disabling this makes sense.

Change the line to =0, and application compatibility is improved. Reopen your favorite non-working app, such as Angry Birds Lite, and bask in the warm glow of your screen as your app starts (assuming it is one of the affected apps).

I have attached modified versions of the relevant files if you want to install the fix but don't want to modify your build.prop inside system.ext2. Just copy froyo.user.conf into your conf directory over any existing version, and copy build.prop into the root directory of your SD card (not your andboot directory).
Attached Files
File Type: zip build.prop.zip (1.9 KB, 91 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by manekineko; 01-26-2011 at 08:18 PM.
This post has been thanked 6 times.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:52 PM
Lurker
Carrier: Verizon

F8L WS6 is a n00b
Re: FRX04 Fix: Improved app compatibility and speed via build.prop

After first boot it slowed down so bad I couldn't use it. Thank you so much for this it worked perfect!
Old 01-26-2011, 08:54 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

manekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by F8L WS6 View Post
After first boot it slowed down so bad I couldn't use it. Thank you so much for this it worked perfect!
I wish I could take credit for that!

Sounds like you actually ran into the system server bug. It's listed as the first bug in my XDAndroid issues list:
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/tp2-androi...tethering.html

If you run into it again, make a call to any number, can be your voicemail or a non-working number, and that'll make your phone go back to normal speed.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:55 PM
VIP Member

ndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by manekineko View Post
I have a fix for non-developers on FRX04 that should improve both application performance and compatibility. tiad8's builds already contain this improvement. I'm not sure whether things were setup originally in FRX04 this way intentionally to help with development, but if the setup was not intentional, then it'd also be good if someone could bring this to the attention of the relevant developers to change for the next version of FRX04.

Stock FRX04 shows incompatibility with certain programs, notably, everyone's favorite Angry Birds Lite is a good example. This is easy to verify, just download and install and verify that it crashes to home screen. Available here:
Angry Birds Lite Beta - Android app on AppBrain

This is caused by this line in the build.prop file:
ro.kernel.android.checkjni=1

According to documentation, enabling this option "will cause the system to run more slowly" as it runs more checks for properly written code, which can help developers to "spot a variety of nasty bugs before they have a chance to cause problems". Since most users aren't developers and aren't using this feature, disabling this makes sense.

Change the line to =0, and application compatibility is improved. Reopen your favorite non-working app, such as Angry Birds Lite, and bask in the warm glow of your screen as your app starts (assuming it is one of the affected apps).

I have attached modified versions of the relevant files if you want to install the fix but don't want to modify your build.prop inside system.ext2. Just copy froyo.user.conf into your conf directory over any existing version, and copy build.prop into the root directory of your SD card (not your andboot directory).
Nice find! FRX04 is pretty sluggish (even getting FCs) when first booting up. I have to do the voicemail dialing trick to get rid of the sluggishness and FCs. You should post this in the main FRX04 thread instead of starting a new thread.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:22 PM
VIP Member

ndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Gotta give you props for this (actually you give us the right prop ). Just made the change for my FRX04 distribution on my SD card and now I'm getting a score 649 under Quadrant. Was getting the mid 500's early.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:30 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Boominsvx is halfway to VIP status based on repBoominsvx is halfway to VIP status based on repBoominsvx is halfway to VIP status based on repBoominsvx is halfway to VIP status based on repBoominsvx is halfway to VIP status based on repBoominsvx is halfway to VIP status based on repBoominsvx is halfway to VIP status based on repBoominsvx is halfway to VIP status based on repBoominsvx is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to Boominsvx

Call me a complete moron, but somehow or another, I can't get this build.prop to mount. Replaced both files and checked everything 20 times over. Still booting at =1. I'll fix it eventually, but for now, anyone awake to give me some insight to my stupidity? It's 6:30AM. Maybe I'm just tired.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:59 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boominsvx View Post
Call me a complete moron, but somehow or another, I can't get this build.prop to mount. Replaced both files and checked everything 20 times over. Still booting at =1. I'll fix it eventually, but for now, anyone awake to give me some insight to my stupidity? It's 6:30AM. Maybe I'm just tired.
Do you have your distribution in the andboot or some other folder?

If you have it in the andboot folder:
1) Copy the build.prop (attachment from 1st post) to your andboot folder
2) Edit your conf/froyo.user.conf to include the following at the bottom:

Quote:
mount --bind /sdcard/andboot/build.prop /system/build.prop
If you have your distribution at the root of your SD card (no andboot), just copy build.prop to the root of your SD card and replace conf/froyo.user.conf with the attachment in the first post.

EDIT: I'm currently uploading a all-in-one FRX04 package. I'll let you know when it's available.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:14 AM
Regular 'Geeker

Boominsvx is halfway to VIP status based on repBoominsvx is halfway to VIP status based on repBoominsvx is halfway to VIP status based on repBoominsvx is halfway to VIP status based on repBoominsvx is halfway to VIP status based on repBoominsvx is halfway to VIP status based on repBoominsvx is halfway to VIP status based on repBoominsvx is halfway to VIP status based on repBoominsvx is halfway to VIP status based on rep

No, I'm a little past that. I edited for sdcard/andboot, then tried moving everything to root, tried push via adb, took out the overclock, edited in root explorer and saved, put build.prop in both andboot and root, and always restarted the phone. Terminal tells me file not found when i try under su. I never have this hard of a time, but right now i'm just spent and it's making me more and more determined.

Oh, nice to here about the all in one. Will this include all the current updates/cam/auto BL or just the build.prop fix?
Old 01-27-2011, 08:21 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boominsvx View Post
No, I'm a little past that. I edited for sdcard/andboot, then tried moving everything to root, tried push via adb, took out the overclock, edited in root explorer and saved, put build.prop in both andboot and root, and always restarted the phone. Terminal tells me file not found when i try under su. I never have this hard of a time, but right now i'm just spent and it's making me more and more determined.

Oh, nice to here about the all in one. Will this include all the current updates/cam/auto BL or just the build.prop fix?
Hmmm... not sure why it's not working for you then. Anyways, if you want to try out the all-in-one FRX04, here's the link: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/tp2-androi...ml#post2045705

I haven't done the camera/backlight yet. Actually, the 1253 kernel I have in the package has KB BL support. I will build on top of that package and allow you to switch over to the camera/backlight kernel with a simple renaming of the STARTUP.TXT and froyo.user.conf files.

UPDATE: Boominsvx, I got the camera kernel in the package also if you want to try it out. The instructions are in the link I provided above.

Last edited by ndno; 01-27-2011 at 08:59 AM.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:02 AM
Regular 'Geeker

OK, I'll tear into it in a few and see what you've got. I can't figure this issue out to save my life. Even reformatted the card. Now I'm just wondering if the /system/build.prop doesn't show the changes even if it does take. You probably don't have yours still on the card, but if anyone else does this, please go to the system folder and open build.prop. I just want to sqush this before moving on unfinished.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2