PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2011, 08:51 PM
Testing Extraordinaire
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (RHOD400)
Carrier: Sprint

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: This app is incompatible with your Mid-Tex Cellular Phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by auburnham View Post
Thanks for the reply. I can't find a "--bind" option for filedisk. I tried copying the build.prop file to the sd card using ES File Explorer, editing the file there, then copying it back to /system, but got the same result.
Can you help me with more details of your proposed method?
Easiest place to put this command would be in the froyo.user.conf file.

Code:
mount --bind /sdcard/build.prop /system/build.prop
Assuming the modified build.prop is at the root of your SD.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:16 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: TP2
Threadstarter

auburnham is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrrghhh View Post
Easiest place to put this command would be in the froyo.user.conf file.

Code:
mount --bind /sdcard/build.prop /system/build.prop
Assuming the modified build.prop is at the root of your SD.
Thanks for the continued suggestions. I did as you instructed, but it doesn't seem to update what the system sees as /system/build.prop.
I copied build.prop to root of SD, modified build.prop on SD, added your code to /sdcard/conf/froyo.user.conf (tried both "general{}" section and "custom_shells{}" section) and rebooted. Although the system booted (unlike before), upon reboot, looking at the /system/build.prop, there appears to be no changes. Also, the Android Market reports the same info about the device.

Is there a log file I can look at to see if the mount command is being processed or resulting in an error?
Old 08-23-2011, 12:00 PM
Testing Extraordinaire

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Thanks for the continued suggestions. I did as you instructed, but it doesn't seem to update what the system sees as /system/build.prop.
I copied build.prop to root of SD, modified build.prop on SD, added your code to /sdcard/conf/froyo.user.conf (tried both "general{}" section and "custom_shells{}" section) and rebooted. Although the system booted (unlike before), upon reboot, looking at the /system/build.prop, there appears to be no changes. Also, the Android Market reports the same info about the device.

Is there a log file I can look at to see if the mount command is being processed or resulting in an error?
Unless you are typing it in wrong, I dunno. I've used this myself to modify the build.prop, it works great. Retrace your steps. Don't put it in the general section, custom commands only.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:11 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (RHOD 400)

rpierce99 is keeping up the good workrpierce99 is keeping up the good work

In addition to what arrrghhh said, don't use the file as an indicator of whether or not it worked, while in android and at a root shell (terminal explorer, connectbot, etc) execute the command getprop <propertyname> to verify what the current setting for the property is. the property name would be the left side of the assignment in the build.prop file, ie. ro.product.x
Old 08-23-2011, 04:23 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

auburnham is a n00b

I retraced my steps as arrrghhh suggested and it must have worked, because now the device is stuck at the "bots drawing XDAndroid" screen at boot up again. However, it is much easier to undo by editing froyo.user.conf or the build.prop on the SD card instead of reinstalling XDAndroid as I did before.

Can someone post an example of a modified build.prop that has successfully booted with XDAndroid on a TP2, which allows the download of apps such as WatchESPN from the Android Market?

Perhaps the file system is not being corrupt as I initially thought, but the values I'm using in build.prop are causing the freeze during boot. I've tried editing various combinations of the following properties:

ro.product.model
ro.product.brand
ro.product.name
ro.product.device
ro.product.board
ro.product.manufacturer
ro.build.product

I've also used values from the following phones:
Nexus S
Nexus One
SCH-I500

Every combination I've tried has resulted in a freeze at the flying bot screen.

On a related note, I wanted to post what I've learned about accessing the file system in Windows, in case someone else has a similar need:
  • data.img (256Mb), rootfs.img(16Mb) & system.ext2(128Mb) are all Ext2 volumes for XDAndroid.
  • Ext2 volumes can be used for read/write in Windows using EXT2IFS & FileDisk, which must be installed according to their instructions.
  • Once those utilities are installed in Windows, you can mount the Ext2 volume with the following similar command line:
    • filedisk /mount 0 e:\system.ext2 128M x:
  • The build.prop file resides in the root of the system.ext2 volume, which is mapped to the /system folder of XDAndroid.
  • Once system.ext2 is mounted, build.prop can be edited with a text editor and saved.
  • If the device gets stuck at the "flying bots drawing XDAndroid" screen as result of editing build.prop, you can either:
    • Edit the build.prop file again in Windows using the method above or
    • Copy a saved/working version of system.ext2 over the bad one.
  • The only FAT file that is changed when editing the build.prop file is system.ext2, so that is the only file that needs to be "repaired" if editing the build.prop doesn't work. You don't need to format the SD card or refresh the XDAndroid install.
Hopefully that will help someone in the future. Please offer corrections if necessary.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:26 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (RHOD 400)

rpierce99 is keeping up the good workrpierce99 is keeping up the good work

if you are editing build.prop from inside windows make absolutely sure you are not using notepad.exe or microsoft word, it's best to use notepad++. The other two WILL destroy the unix file formatting on the file.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:44 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

auburnham is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpierce99 View Post
if you are editing build.prop from inside windows make absolutely sure you are not using notepad.exe or microsoft word, it's best to use notepad++. The other two WILL destroy the unix file formatting on the file.
Good point of clarification, rpierce99. I used PSPad and verified the file structure was intact after editing & saving.

I noticed that you had some success with the Netflix app in another thread. Could you share the build.prop you used in that case?
Old 08-25-2011, 11:22 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

auburnham is a n00b

I had a friend install the WatchESPN app on his Gingerbread device, then find the .apk on his device and email it to me. However, when I try to install the .apk, I get an "Application not installed" message. Do I get this message for any of these reasons:
  • The .apk came from a Gingerbread device and I'm trying to install it on a Froyo device
  • The build.prop file was not updated to mimic an "approved" device
  • The .apk doesn't contain all of the data necessary for an install
I've attached the .apk file for reference:

WatchESPN.apk

Edit:
Log files show the following:
Error: PackageManager(134: Package air.WatchESPN has mismatched uid: 10077 on disk, 10079 in settings
Warning: PackageManger(134: Native ABI mismatch from package file
Warning: PackageManager(134: Package couldn't be installed in /data/app/air.WatchESPN-1.apk

Last edited by auburnham; 08-25-2011 at 11:47 AM.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:55 AM
Testing Extraordinaire

Quote:
I had a friend install the WatchESPN app on his Gingerbread device, then find the .apk on his device and email it to me. However, when I try to install the .apk, I get an "Application not installed" message. Do I get this message for any of these reasons:
  • The .apk came from a Gingerbread device and I'm trying to install it on a Froyo device
  • The build.prop file was not updated to mimic an "approved" device
  • The .apk doesn't contain all of the data necessary for an install
I've attached the .apk file for reference:

Attachment 84777

Edit:
Log files show the following:
Error: PackageManager(134: Package air.WatchESPN has mismatched uid: 10077 on disk, 10079 in settings
Warning: PackageManger(134: Native ABI mismatch from package file
Warning: PackageManager(134: Package couldn't be installed in /data/app/air.WatchESPN-1.apk
I'm a n00b with this stuff, but it appears that app requires AIR. Do you have AIR installed? Perhaps that is your issue.

The mismatched UID doesn't look good either tho.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:03 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

auburnham is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrrghhh View Post
I'm a n00b with this stuff, but it appears that app requires AIR. Do you have AIR installed? Perhaps that is your issue.

The mismatched UID doesn't look good either tho.
Thanks arrrghhh. Yes, AIR is installed.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2