PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2011, 09:43 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Verizon

HybridAndy is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Verizon Touch Pro 2 - Searching for Service after using phone

Hello everyone.

I have Verizon Touch Pro 2 running the FRX07 android setup from this forum (thank you by the way, this is incredible). I have an issue where the phone will work normally, I will make a call, and then the phone will drop the phone connection and constantly state "Searching for Service" and signal indicator will put a little x in the top left corner and drop the 1x/EVDO status.

If I try to make another call I will get a "Mobile network not available" but it will receive incoming calls. The app store will load and let me navigate as well.

The only solution I have found is to go into *#*#INFO#*#* and change the network from CDMA auto (PRL) to CDMA only and then back to CDMA auto (PRL).

This seems to "reset" the phone module and it will display and work correctly until the next time the phone is used as a phone.

Under Settings > Wireless & Network Settings > Mobile Networks > Preferred network mode is set to CMDA/EvDo auto (I believe I changed this from Global upon first boot).

Any ideas what might be wrong or needs changed?
Old 08-05-2011, 11:00 AM
Testing Extraordinaire
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (RHOD400)
Carrier: Sprint

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Re: Verizon Touch Pro 2 - Searching for Service after using phone

Well, there seems to be an issue with the RIL in FRX07.

I'm not sure if the bug that was found will resolve your issue. Is it reproducible? Does it happen every single outbound call...? If so, it'll be a lot easier to trace/troubleshoot.

hyc's post mentions the bug that was resolved.

Basically download ril2 from post #6. I'm gonna be lazy and direct you to another thread for the remainder of the explanation - follow the steps to bind mount or use the attached froyo.user.conf.

Directions thread - has some other jibberish in there related to another issue, you can ignore the kernel stuff. Let me know if it helps.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:36 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

HybridAndy is a n00b

Thanks for the response.

The issue is reproducible, and seems to happen with all outgoing calls. Incoming calls do not trigger the bug, the connection to the mobile network stays.

I downloaded and installed the new RIL and froyo.user.conf file from your last link and rebooted.

Extracted RIL in root director on the SD card, froyo.user.conf renamed to eliminate the .txt and placed in the conf directory off the root.

The phone connected upon boot and I was able to make one call and now I'm "searching for service" again. It will receive incoming calls but I cannot dial out.

Going into *#*#info#*#* still fixes it the same way.

Typing numbers into the phone dial pad now has about a 3 second delay for every other number (so if i type 1800 it will accept 1 , hang , 80 , hang, 0).

I did a soft reset of phone and relaunched back into android. I had the "searching for service" immediately from boot (had to dial INFO) but the hang is gone?

I appreciate the help, any other suggestions?
Old 08-05-2011, 04:39 PM
Testing Extraordinaire

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community

Uhm, are you sure you have the new RIL installed...? The only way to truly verify is radiolog.

You said you put the froyo.user.conf file in a conf folder off the root of the SD - was that conf folder and froyo.user.conf file already there? You just replaced it with the one I posted? Also, the libhtcgeneric-ril.so file is at the root of the SD, no folders? You seem to indicate that's the case... I just want to be positive.

Use the getlogs app if you're unsure and post your logs. Boot up, recreate the issue (make an outbound call, hopefully it causes the failure, then use getlogs to get logs... )
Old 08-05-2011, 08:01 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2(RHOD400)
Carrier: CDMA

muziling is becoming a great contributor

Tasker solution to signal loss - xda-developers

People the same to you
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:15 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC G1, TP2
Carrier: T-Mobile

highlandsun is keeping up the good workhighlandsun is keeping up the good workhighlandsun is keeping up the good work
Should work fine in the newest ril (today's). But most likely updating your radio would fix this.

Sent from my FRX06+ TP2 using Tapatalk
Old 08-06-2011, 12:33 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP2

machek is becoming a great contributor

For what its worth, I have FRX07, and I'm on verizon, and I havent changed anything, and my phone doesnt do what your describing at all. Dont know if that helps, but hopefully you can get it resolved.

Edit: the only thing i did change is i put the mms edit in, but thats it. I also didnt need to change it from World mode, it was already on CDMA.

Last edited by machek; 08-06-2011 at 12:35 AM.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:47 AM
Testing Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by machek View Post
For what its worth, I have FRX07, and I'm on verizon, and I havent changed anything, and my phone doesnt do what your describing at all. Dont know if that helps, but hopefully you can get it resolved.

Edit: the only thing i did change is i put the mms edit in, but thats it. I also didnt need to change it from World mode, it was already on CDMA.
From what it appears based on our limited testing, those with issues are on older radio firmwares. As hyc said, anyone experiencing this issue should update their radio. Which now it makes sense why some have this issues while others do not on the same hardware/network provider...
Old 08-08-2011, 01:00 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

HybridAndy is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrrghhh View Post
Uhm, are you sure you have the new RIL installed...? The only way to truly verify is radiolog.

You said you put the froyo.user.conf file in a conf folder off the root of the SD - was that conf folder and froyo.user.conf file already there? You just replaced it with the one I posted? Also, the libhtcgeneric-ril.so file is at the root of the SD, no folders? You seem to indicate that's the case... I just want to be positive.

Use the getlogs app if you're unsure and post your logs. Boot up, recreate the issue (make an outbound call, hopefully it causes the failure, then use getlogs to get logs... )
I pulled the existing froyo.user.conf file off the SD and renamed it .OLD and replaced it with the version from the link.

libhtcgeneric-ril.so is placed on the root of the SD card along with HARET.

I looked through the post from muziling and followed the link back here to the radio updates. I'm using radio 1.88.07 and looks like a 2.35 version is available. I'm downloading that and now and going to see if that fixes the issue.

Thanks again everyone for the help.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:03 PM
Testing Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridAndy View Post
I pulled the existing froyo.user.conf file off the SD and renamed it .OLD and replaced it with the version from the link.

libhtcgeneric-ril.so is placed on the root of the SD card along with HARET.

I looked through the post from muziling and followed the link back here to the radio updates. I'm using radio 1.88.07 and looks like a 2.35 version is available. I'm downloading that and now and going to see if that fixes the issue.

Thanks again everyone for the help.
teradog actually found a 2.37 version for VZ, which also works on Sprint (I know you're on VZ just figured I would state it here as well )

See his post.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2