PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2011, 05:47 PM
VIP Member - Retired
Pocket PC: Moto Flip>Smsng 8500>Razr v3m>Mogul>TP>3 TP2s+ ??
Carrier: Sprint Premier Gold- White Glove Status

teradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
USB tether works (XP), Network it! HOW TO + USB tether HELP

shame on me, starting 2 new threads in one day Waken up this boring forum!!!
USB Tether help: See post 2.

If you read this post/thread, Dream Phone mini guide, 1/2 way down, you'll see "HOME NETWORK": It details how to setup a home network off your TP2, benefits being many... including multi floor signal strength, distance, less TP2 CPU burden, ethernet ports etc..

Issue: it was limited to wifi only on the WAN side... Now with Droid USB, we can do it via USB.

Summary: You use HTC wifi router to a wifi NIC in your PC/Laptop, enable the ethernet connection & plug in a cat5/6 series cable, to your router (G/N) Linksys, etc.., enable ics by going into properties, advanced, click "share internet connection", this will then enable the enet 2nd NIC with 192.168.0.x subnet.

Issue: Windows ICS (internet connection sharing) must use 192.168.0.x for the 2nd NIC (network interface card). Windows Mobile HTC USB Tether also only uses 192.168.0.x, so you've got an IP conflict as you can't use the same subnet on the same PC (obvious routing issue). It doesn't work. Leaving you with wifi only...

Disclaimer: ** This article assumes you have a Phone As Modem (PAM) plan that you pay for with your carrier &/or a "wifi hotspot" add on / included in your current plan, simply everything, etc..
** However: Those plans are not required for this to work, BUT, you could ring up some extra charges on your bill if not... exactly as you may using wifi router on the windows side. (so if that's not an issue...)

Solution: XDAndroid USB tether however, uses 192.168.42.x subnet & doesn't conflict with the required ICS subnet of 192.168.0.x.

What does that mean to me? hehehe... if somehow your HTC wifi router gets shut down by your carrier or HTC or Windows, or your wifi card dies, etc.. etc.. We now have a 2nd option.

Win XP:
  • DL all the latest stuff in the XDandroid.com side or read through my "Simple Guide.." sticky... ,
  • boot up Android,
  • turn off USB test mode: (Settings, Applications, Development, USB debugging)
  • DL tetherxp.inf (link later, in help in droid when starting usb tether)
  • plug into ICS machine you'll use on the xtranet side of your router,
  • in droid settings enable USB tether
  • on the windows ICS box, enable shared internet under the NIC "properties, advanced"
  • wala.... your router can now be setup to do subnets under anything you want... (i use a 10.x.x.x intranet), it has ethernet ports for wii, playstations, etc.. & plenty of wifi to go around.
  • make sure you setup your TP2 per the other thread, correctly, using field trial...

Win7: Will update later with my Win 7 process.

gotta run, will clean up later & add more stuff...

Last edited by teradog; 07-08-2011 at 09:23 AM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:43 PM
VIP Member - Retired
Threadstarter

teradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the community
Re: Droid USB tether home network HOW TO

Windows XP USB Tether:
What I had to do to get USB tether working on my XP box:
All from here: Android Devices: Tethering and Portable Wi-Fi Hotspots - Google Mobile Help
Many say they didn't have to do this, but I did...

1. Try this first: On the TP2 Android side, Settings, Applications, Development, USB debugging (make sure it's unchecked)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~
USB Tethering with Windows XP Windows XP contains the drivers you need to take advantage of USB tethering, but you must install a configuration file before connecting your phone to your Windows XP computer, to instruct Windows XP how to configure itself to use those drivers.
  1. Download the following configuration file (tetherxp.inf) to your Windows XP computer. Typically, you can right click on the link and choose "Save As". (If your browser appends .html to the file name, you will need to edit the name to remove the .html extension.)
  2. Use the USB cable that came with your phone to connect your phone to your computer.
  3. On the Android phone, press Home, press Menu, and touch Settings to open the Settings application.
  4. Touch Wireless & networks > Tethering & portable hotspot.
  5. Check USB tethering.
  6. When Windows XP’s New Hardware Wizard opens, select No, not at this time and click Next.
  7. Select Install from a list or specific location and click Next.
  8. Click Browse to browse to the directory where you installed the configuration file you downloaded in Step 1 and click Next. Windows XP uses the configuration file to configure itself to support USB tethering with the Android phone.
  9. When Windows XP finishes installing the software for Android USB Ethernet/RNDIS, click Finish.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Before doing this in device manager it showed as a USB mass storage dev with an error. Updated driver with that file above & then it showed up under Network Adapters as Android USB Ethernet RNDIS.

You may not have to do any of this, depending on many factors & what Windows Service Pack you're on, you may...

IF IT WORKS DON"T FIX IT! But, if not working, at least check to ensure it's under network adapter as droid usb enet rndis above...

Last edited by teradog; 07-08-2011 at 09:46 AM.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:36 AM
Testing Extraordinaire
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (RHOD400)
Carrier: Sprint

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Re: Droid USB tether home network HOW TO

Hrm, maybe something was already installed on my XP machine @ work that got USB tethering to work...

I'm having issues on 7 tho, not sure what's the deal. Will post back if I find anything...
Old 07-08-2011, 09:04 AM
VIP Member - Retired
Threadstarter

Re: USB tether works, Network it! HOW TO

Windows 7 USB Tether:
Not working right now.

If anyone has USB tethering working on a Windows 7 box, PLEASE post what build (frx/grb), date, kernel, etc.. and HOW you did it. We don't need to reinvent the wheel, just share information... :>))

Here's where I am, (haven't had much time to look at)
Just like a XP box,
Win7: Control Panel, (system), (hardware), device manager:
  • When connecting the tp2 via USB shows either: Other devices: XDA mass storage device with an error,
  • OR a Disk Drive: HTC XDA USB device if the driver is correct.
  • Then on TP2, when you check the USB tether box in settings, wireless & networks, Tethering & portable hotspot, USB tethering... it is SUPPOSE to show up under Network adapters: Android USB Ethernet/RNDIS
Same as on the XP side, I try to get each step to work... first, device mangler has to recognize it as a non-error'd Disk drive..

I'm having an issue with checking the USB tether box & having it switch from disk drive to network adapter. On the XP box above, simply DLing the .inf above & running the device driver install accomplished that. BUT, there supposedly isn't one needed for a Win7 box. (per the same exact USB help link I got the XP .inf from..)

So, I'm going to go & DL that .inf to my win7 box & try it... what's to loose?

Also will google xda & elsewhere for "xdandroid USB tether windows 7 works" or.. something like that... will also check wiki's & faq for this info. If anyone else wants to google on it, please do so & post up any good info... back soon.

I noticed as soon as usb debugging is uncheck, stuff starts to work...

You should see HTC XDA USB device under windows dev mgr/Disk drives, as soon as you see that.. the big green droid guy should show on your screen with a white box under "Turn on USB Storage". Don't do that, just hit your back hardkey & go check the USB tether box.

Check USB tethering box on tp2 & device manager should change it to Network adapters: Android USB Ethernet/RNDIS & should also then show up on control panel/network adapters as "Local Area Connector #"

Make sure you set your Display to turn off screen for 10 min or more for testing... I believe there is an effect if not...

*edit 3* Final testing for a while, installed the xp info file on 7 box & no go... I was able to force it to show as a network adapter, but when hitting the USB Tether ckbox on tp2, I get all the connect/disconnect sounds, drive goes away, but XDA with an error shows back up under "Other" in Dvmgr. It just isn't picking up the driver right... plus installing driver stays under network connections, it should just go away when disconnected...

Have to admit, my network is working fine. Using field trial to ensure my signal is at it's best (even turning the tp2 on it's side or at a 90 degree angle can increase signal massively. -dBm .. you want the lowest possible (i've got -48, but usually run around -58, anywhere in the -60's is good also). With that I get around 2.7Mb DL, often over 3Mb/s at night. That's coming on 2x a T1, if you need more than that, you're spoiled!!! :>))

my net
TP2 is either wifi or droid usb tethered to xp laptop/ICS box, ethernet to cicso router, & wpa wifi N & 6 enet ports. The xp box is my extranet & just sits there, I do nothing on it, has no data, just xp in case someone gets into it from the wep tp2 security, it's just a front end xtranet ICS dhcp box, all personal info behind router.

So what? :>)) I don't need USB on win7 right now, so i'll probably not be looking at it much.

Last edited by teradog; 07-08-2011 at 03:45 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:15 AM
Testing Extraordinaire
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (RHOD400)
Carrier: Sprint

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by teradog View Post
Windows 7 reserved
Sorry dude, I thought you were going to put it all in the first post .

I'll let you know if I figure anything out on the Win7 front...
Old 07-08-2011, 09:25 AM
VIP Member - Retired
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrrghhh View Post
Sorry dude, I thought you were going to put it all in the first post .

I'll let you know if I figure anything out on the Win7 front...
Now why in the world would you think that... just because post 1 of the Simple Guide has 3.5 million words?? lol ~no worries
Old 11-17-2012, 09:46 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Das
Carrier: Verizon

faznaf is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Re: USB tether works (XP), Network it! HOW TO + USB tether HELP

I found a free way (no apps) to tether XP and android: /[karceh]{5}/ musings: How to USB-Tether Android phones with Windows XP, using tetherxp.inf Working for me!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2