View Single Post
Old 07-08-2011, 09:04 AM
teradog
VIP Member - Retired
Threadstarter

teradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: USB tether works, Network it! HOW TO

Windows 7 USB Tether:
Not working right now.

If anyone has USB tethering working on a Windows 7 box, PLEASE post what build (frx/grb), date, kernel, etc.. and HOW you did it. We don't need to reinvent the wheel, just share information... :>))

Here's where I am, (haven't had much time to look at)
Just like a XP box,
Win7: Control Panel, (system), (hardware), device manager:
  • When connecting the tp2 via USB shows either: Other devices: XDA mass storage device with an error,
  • OR a Disk Drive: HTC XDA USB device if the driver is correct.
  • Then on TP2, when you check the USB tether box in settings, wireless & networks, Tethering & portable hotspot, USB tethering... it is SUPPOSE to show up under Network adapters: Android USB Ethernet/RNDIS
Same as on the XP side, I try to get each step to work... first, device mangler has to recognize it as a non-error'd Disk drive..

I'm having an issue with checking the USB tether box & having it switch from disk drive to network adapter. On the XP box above, simply DLing the .inf above & running the device driver install accomplished that. BUT, there supposedly isn't one needed for a Win7 box. (per the same exact USB help link I got the XP .inf from..)

So, I'm going to go & DL that .inf to my win7 box & try it... what's to loose?

Also will google xda & elsewhere for "xdandroid USB tether windows 7 works" or.. something like that... will also check wiki's & faq for this info. If anyone else wants to google on it, please do so & post up any good info... back soon.

I noticed as soon as usb debugging is uncheck, stuff starts to work...

You should see HTC XDA USB device under windows dev mgr/Disk drives, as soon as you see that.. the big green droid guy should show on your screen with a white box under "Turn on USB Storage". Don't do that, just hit your back hardkey & go check the USB tether box.

Check USB tethering box on tp2 & device manager should change it to Network adapters: Android USB Ethernet/RNDIS & should also then show up on control panel/network adapters as "Local Area Connector #"

Make sure you set your Display to turn off screen for 10 min or more for testing... I believe there is an effect if not...

*edit 3* Final testing for a while, installed the xp info file on 7 box & no go... I was able to force it to show as a network adapter, but when hitting the USB Tether ckbox on tp2, I get all the connect/disconnect sounds, drive goes away, but XDA with an error shows back up under "Other" in Dvmgr. It just isn't picking up the driver right... plus installing driver stays under network connections, it should just go away when disconnected...

Have to admit, my network is working fine. Using field trial to ensure my signal is at it's best (even turning the tp2 on it's side or at a 90 degree angle can increase signal massively. -dBm .. you want the lowest possible (i've got -48, but usually run around -58, anywhere in the -60's is good also). With that I get around 2.7Mb DL, often over 3Mb/s at night. That's coming on 2x a T1, if you need more than that, you're spoiled!!! :>))

my net
TP2 is either wifi or droid usb tethered to xp laptop/ICS box, ethernet to cicso router, & wpa wifi N & 6 enet ports. The xp box is my extranet & just sits there, I do nothing on it, has no data, just xp in case someone gets into it from the wep tp2 security, it's just a front end xtranet ICS dhcp box, all personal info behind router.

So what? :>)) I don't need USB on win7 right now, so i'll probably not be looking at it much.

Last edited by teradog; 07-08-2011 at 03:45 PM.