PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2011, 03:29 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

ndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Wireless Tethering

OK, one observation with the builtin Wifi Tethering (FRX05): if the phone goes to sleep (I set mine to sleep at 2 minutes of no activity), the tethering stops working; I need to wake up the phone to get the connection going again. I guess that may be ironed out later with more power saving tweaks.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:01 PM
Regular 'Geeker

manekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrrghhh View Post
My personal fave - the built-in wifi tethering works fantastic, and is the only one I've found that creates a REAL AP to connect to!
Really? That works well for you? I see a lot of hard freezes and reboots when turning off the built-in wifi tethering, both when I used FRX04 and now in GRX0A. It does work quite well until I turn it off though.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:49 PM
VIP Member

ndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
E E
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekineko View Post
Really? That works well for you? I see a lot of hard freezes and reboots when turning off the built-in wifi tethering, both when I used FRX04 and now in GRX0A. It does work quite well until I turn it off though.
Same here, freezes android when I turned it off. Had to pull the battery. I guess it's not quite stable yet.

Sent from my FRX05-ized TP2
Old 03-14-2011, 06:57 PM
Testing Extraordinaire
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (RHOD400)

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by manekineko View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndno View Post
Same here, freezes android when I turned it off. Had to pull the battery. I guess it's not quite stable yet.
The reason the built-in one is my personal fave is it actually creates a real AP - not some ad-hoc network cxn.

With that said, I haven't used it in a couple of weeks - IIRC, it just wouldn't work if I disabled and tried to re-enable - I don't remember any freezes or resets. I guess I should try it again...

Stable it is not - the other wifi tethering options might be more stable, I found I prefer USB tethering to wifi tethering, but that's what I use for tethering because I can charge and tether at the same time .

Quote:
OK, one observation with the builtin Wifi Tethering (FRX05): if the phone goes to sleep (I set mine to sleep at 2 minutes of no activity), the tethering stops working; I need to wake up the phone to get the connection going again. I guess that may be ironed out later with more power saving tweaks.
Huh, this is interesting. This might be my memory messing things up, but I remember seeing the phone turn off and thinking "huh, the AP is still up". Perhaps I was plugged into USB and I was fooling myself .

I'm not sure what the best option for this would be, as normally you would want wifi to turn off if the phone goes to sleep. How do native devices handle this? Does the screen stay on and the phone is prevented from sleeping, or is it a partial sleep where ARM11 is still awake, but just the screen is off...?

This is what I thought happened, screen would turn off but ARM11 would stay up. Perhaps I was connected to USB, and I'm just crazy . It's entirely possible.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:11 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Stable it is not - the other wifi tethering options might be more stable, I found I prefer USB tethering to wifi tethering, but that's what I use for tethering because I can charge and tether at the same time .

Huh, this is interesting. This might be my memory messing things up, but I remember seeing the phone turn off and thinking "huh, the AP is still up". Perhaps I was plugged into USB and I was fooling myself .

I'm not sure what the best option for this would be, as normally you would want wifi to turn off if the phone goes to sleep. How do native devices handle this? Does the screen stay on and the phone is prevented from sleeping, or is it a partial sleep where ARM11 is still awake, but just the screen is off...?

This is what I thought happened, screen would turn off but ARM11 would stay up. Perhaps I was connected to USB, and I'm just crazy . It's entirely possible.
Yeah, if I have to tether I prefer Usb; wifi is more convenient but it's a battery killer (at least with usb, you're keeping the phone charge ) I think when I'm charging (either power adapter or usb via pc), I don't think the phone completely goes to sleep. You or wistilt2 may have a better idea. I'll have to try wifi tethering while charging to see if it still works when the screen goes blank.

Under winmo, using vin's neo rom, wifi tethering still works when the phone goes to "sleep".

EDIT: OK, I've confirmed that when hooked up to charger and the screen goes blank (green light blinking), wifi tethering still works. After I pulled the charging cable, the green LED blinks for a little more and then goes solid; at this point, wifi tethering stops working. I then plugged the charging cable back in (screen still blank/off) and viola, wifi tethering works again. So arrrghhh, since you have your TP2 hooked up to the USB cable (charging), wifi tethering will work when it goes to sleep (IMO, it's a different sleep than when it's not being charged, one that allows the wifi hardware to continue working).

EDIT: Also confirmed that when disabling wifi tethering, my TP2 rebooted back to WinMo; the first time it was a lockup.

Last edited by ndno; 03-14-2011 at 07:46 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:27 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Motorola Q and HTC TP2
Carrier: Verizon
Threadstarter

defiantone is keeping up the good workdefiantone is keeping up the good workdefiantone is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Ok, let's break this down.

If wifi doesn't work for you, wifi tethering certainly won't. So let's figure out why wifi is broken - have you changed the kernel (zImage) or modules (modules-xxxx-tar.gz) at all? If so, you must be careful to ensure that the modules match the zImage - they are packaged together.

In addition to that, you also must make sure you remove old kernels/modules lest you mix them up!

So let's start with that - get wifi workin, then we can look into wifi tethering.

If worse comes to worse, crap the newest bundle of FRX05 - doesn't need anything to get cam working or wifi working, assuming you just drop the build on your card with no modifications .
------------
Very strange. I can't get wifi to turn on. It works on the winmobile side as well as wireless tetheing, but when I boot xandroid.. it stays on 'turning on' I reformated my sd card.. re-downloaded fRX05.. it was the only thing on my card and it still didn't work.. I read in the FAQ that if you turn on wifi on the winmobile side , then booted xandroid that wifi will work. Did not for me.
Anyway, thanks to all of you who tried to help. I'm not going to worry about it any longer.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:40 AM
Testing Extraordinaire
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (RHOD400)

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Quote:
EDIT: OK, I've confirmed that when hooked up to charger and the screen goes blank (green light blinking), wifi tethering still works. After I pulled the charging cable, the green LED blinks for a little more and then goes solid; at this point, wifi tethering stops working. I then plugged the charging cable back in (screen still blank/off) and viola, wifi tethering works again. So arrrghhh, since you have your TP2 hooked up to the USB cable (charging), wifi tethering will work when it goes to sleep (IMO, it's a different sleep than when it's not being charged, one that allows the wifi hardware to continue working).

EDIT: Also confirmed that when disabling wifi tethering, my TP2 rebooted back to WinMo; the first time it was a lockup.
Yea, disabling it does odd things as I recall. Need to look into that...

As for the charger part - it makes sense. Phone can't sleep completely and charge itself .

Quote:
Originally Posted by defiantone View Post
------------
Very strange. I can't get wifi to turn on. It works on the winmobile side as well as wireless tetheing, but when I boot xandroid.. it stays on 'turning on' I reformated my sd card.. re-downloaded fRX05.. it was the only thing on my card and it still didn't work.. I read in the FAQ that if you turn on wifi on the winmobile side , then booted xandroid that wifi will work. Did not for me.
Anyway, thanks to all of you who tried to help. I'm not going to worry about it any longer.
Didn't change the kernel at all? You certainly don't need to turn wifi on in WinMo... That's not in the XDAndroid FAQ, must be from Reef's ancient FAQ...

I guess if you've given up that's cool. There is another rarity that can happen with the wifi-nvram file - let me know if you want to work thru this, we can do it thru IRC sometime so it's a little easier if you wish!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:52 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: SGS III

fishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the community

I just started mine and when I shut it down, it still showed it was active in the taskbar, yet it wasn't, then just rebooted back to android.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:30 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingmedic View Post
I just started mine and when I shut it down, it still showed it was active in the taskbar, yet it wasn't, then just rebooted back to android.
Yep, like manekineko and I have experienced, it's not stable yet.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2