PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2010, 11:40 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

x10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
So what the cool things Android can do?

I've been following this thread on-n-off for the past year or so. While I still fairly content with my discontinued Winmo TP2 the latest version of Android is getting tantilizingly close to being full functional.

While I've played with the latest version and have downloaded a few programs from the Market. (I must say that the work is amazing) I'm wondering what are the "cool" things you can do with Android. I'd especially be intrigued by stuff you can do that is not available in Winmo. (of course this is excluding games)
Old 09-19-2010, 11:45 PM
Regular 'Geeker

manekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuff
Re: So what the cool things Android can do?

The Google integration is really the biggest selling point for me. Google Voice that automatically makes your outgoing number show up correctly. GMail that can archive and displays everything correctly. Google Talk that's always signed in and as easy to use as Blackberry Messenger.

I also really like the widgetized home screens.

Those and apps that don't suck are the really selling points for me.

Last edited by manekineko; 09-20-2010 at 03:02 AM.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:42 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

spectheintro is keeping up the good workspectheintro is keeping up the good work

Ease of use, attractiveness, and responsiveness are my biggest selling points. Android is just a more modern OS than WM. It's written to take advantage of newer hardware, where WM6 is built on an ancient kernel. Android on my wife's Touch is SO MUCH BETTER than any version of WM; even NFSFan's great ROM is sluggish comparatively.

Although I will say one thing: Android needs to fix its dialer like, right now. The fact that I can't dial by name is absolutely ridiculous. That's functionality that's been in cell phones for a decade.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:34 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Vintercept™
Carrier: Sprint SERO500 & Virgin Mobile

one80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via Yahoo to one80oneday

Been using TP2 Android for a year and Android on my TP1 + Diamond before that. I also just bought a Samsung Moment. My favorite this is that I don't need to reboot the phone ever. Besides that I like to play with the home screen and mindless apps/games.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectheintro View Post
Although I will say one thing: Android needs to fix its dialer like, right now. The fact that I can't dial by name is absolutely ridiculous. That's functionality that's been in cell phones for a decade.
I believe there's a dialer app in the marketplace that lets you dial by name...
Quote:
Originally Posted by x10guy View Post
discontinued Winmo TP2
http://shop.sprint.com/NASApp/online...SKU=PPCT7380SP
Old 09-20-2010, 01:02 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

x10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by one80oneday View Post
Been using TP2 Android for a year and Android on my TP1 + Diamond before that. I also just bought a Samsung Moment. My favorite this is that I don't need to reboot the phone ever. Besides that I like to play with the home screen and mindless apps/games.
Thanks for all the replies.
Yes, I've played with Android and it is fun. The games definitely make it worth checking out. But besides the "fun factor" I'm wondering what cool stuff is out for Android that I can't really get currently with my TP2.

(My TP2 (custom ROM) is pretty stable so rebooting is not a problem)
Old 09-21-2010, 12:36 AM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies.
Yes, I've played with Android and it is fun. The games definitely make it worth checking out. But besides the "fun factor" I'm wondering what cool stuff is out for Android that I can't really get currently with my TP2.

(My TP2 (custom ROM) is pretty stable so rebooting is not a problem)
Infer-structure Tethering (vs standard AD-HOC)
More features in Google Maps such as Google Goggles
Flash 10.1 support
Interactive Live Wallpaper
More choices in web browsers

Thats to name a few...

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 09-21-2010, 12:44 AM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Thanks for the replies. Keep them coming.

I just want to be "ready" and up-to-date if and when the time comes when the TP2 Android is ready for full-time use.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:29 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Htc EVO 3D™

kaos is halfway to VIP status based on repkaos is halfway to VIP status based on repkaos is halfway to VIP status based on repkaos is halfway to VIP status based on repkaos is halfway to VIP status based on repkaos is halfway to VIP status based on repkaos is halfway to VIP status based on repkaos is halfway to VIP status based on repkaos is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
I've been following this thread on-n-off for the past year or so. While I still fairly content with my discontinued Winmo TP2
how is it discontinued? its still for sale on sprints site. why do people say things that are wrong. lol

Sprint - Define Region

Phone:
Sprint EVO 3D Rom:Kaos Hybrid 4.20 V8 Radio: 0.97 Storage Card: Micro 32GB SDHC

Old 09-21-2010, 11:02 AM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaos View Post
how is it discontinued? its still for sale on sprints site. why do people say things that are wrong. lol

Sprint - Define Region
Sorry I should have been more specific. - Discontinued as in the OS - ie. Windows Mobile Development.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:37 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Vintercept™
Carrier: Sprint SERO500 & Virgin Mobile

one80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via Yahoo to one80oneday

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaos View Post
why do people say things that are wrong.
Sprint - Define Region
Why do people repost what has already been posted?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by one80oneday View Post
Quote:
discontinued Winmo TP2
Sprint - Define Region

Quote:
Sorry I should have been more specific. - Discontinued as in the OS - ie. Windows Mobile Development.
I figured you meant the OS. I read that MS is supposed to develop WM for the next few years, at least for businesses, but who knows what'll happen...

Last edited by one80oneday; 09-21-2010 at 12:39 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2