PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2010, 06:56 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Carrier: Sprint

bedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
[WM App/Util] Android Launcher - Disable Auto-Backlight and Run Haret

EDIT -- Hi everybody. I don't really have time to mess with this any more at the moment, but Reefermattness has offered to merge this with his utility (PPCGeeks thread, XDA thread), so I'd check there for any additional updates/requests/etc. Thanks!

I like having my backlight auto-adjust in WM, but for the time being we still have to turn that off before launching Haret in order to have backlight control in Android. So... here is a little app that does just that... disables the automatic backlight adjustment and then runs haret. Just install the cab and look for "Android Launcher" in your Start menu (you still need your own Android package on your storage card - including haret).

I made this mostly just for myself, but figured I'd share in case anyone else finds it useful. I'm by no means a developer (more of an amateur tinkerer) so I don't really intend to offer much support or additional development.

Also, I had originally intended to write another little program to run at Windows startup to re-enable auto-adjustment, but it doesn't seem to be necessary. The setting doesn't appear to stick after the system reboots. Maybe there isn't enough time before haret runs for the registry to be committed. Not really sure, but I'd be curious if anyone else's results vary.

Edit - new version configurable via the registry. Change the string value at HKLM\SOFTWARE\AndroidLauncher -- HaretLocation to reflect the location of haret on your storage card.

Edit2 - added app to re-enable the auto-adjustment on Windows startup, since the results seemed to be inconsistent. This will ensure that it is back on when Windows starts. If you've downloaded previously, you might want to update to this version.
Attached Files
File Type: cab Android Launcher.cab (31.8 KB, 222 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by bedoig; 03-31-2010 at 06:10 PM.
This post has been thanked 17 times.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:31 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: touch pro2
Carrier: sprint

jimmyz is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjimmyz is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjimmyz is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjimmyz is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjimmyz is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: [App] Android Launcher - Disable Auto-Backlight and Run Haret

thanks! Do the android files have to be in the root- what about if I use an "andboot" folder?
Old 03-24-2010, 11:46 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

bedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Yes, for the time being at least it's hardcoded to look for haret at \Storage Card\haret.exe (which means it also won't work for localizations other than standard english).

It's mainly targeted at the CDMA TP2 builds of Android, since there is so much variation from one device to another as to what hardware is functional. I'm not even sure that this would disable the auto-backlight on other devices, certainly not non-HTC devices. Are there any devices other than the Vogue that use an andboot folder? I could make it configurable via the registry.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:08 AM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Uploaded a new version - now you can specify where haret is located in the registry.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:38 AM
Regular 'Geeker

jimmyz is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjimmyz is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjimmyz is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjimmyz is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjimmyz is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

thanks again- I am running on a sprint TP2 but like to try to keep my SD card somewhat organized- this will help!
EDIT- just tried it and it works great!

Last edited by jimmyz; 03-25-2010 at 11:44 AM.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:43 AM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyz View Post
thanks again- I am running on a sprint TP2 but like to try to keep my SD card somewhat organized- this will help!
It's in the first post: HKLM\SOFTWARE\AndroidLauncher -- HaretLocation.

I didn't realize we (TP2 users) were able to use an Andboot folder. That would keep things cleaner. Does everything boot correctly for you that way, vs having it on the root of the SD? I thought I had tried putting everything there once, and it didn't boot for me.

Does your auto-adjustment stay on in WM? It seems to be inconsistent for me. Might need to go ahead and write the part to re-enable it at Windows boot.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:55 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Went ahead and added a startup app to ensure that auto-adjustment is on when Windows boots. New cab in first post.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:10 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedoig View Post
Went ahead and added a startup app to ensure that auto-adjustment is on when Windows boots. New cab in first post.
Hah- you beat me to it- I was just about to post that the autoback light stayed off when I rebooted into windows- will try the new app now
Also- with the newest builds you can keep your build within ANDBOOT, also I believe you can edit the startup for HARET to use whatever folder you want
Old 03-25-2010, 05:19 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyz View Post
Also- with the newest builds you can keep your build within ANDBOOT, also I believe you can edit the startup for HARET to use whatever folder you want
Ah, cool. I'll have to do that. It's a pain tracking down android files scattered across the root of the card every time I want to do a clean update. Thanks!
Old 03-28-2010, 05:06 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC TP2, Sprint TP mod to VZW, XV6800, Treo 700wx
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

TGabriele is a n00b
Re: [WM App/Util] Android Launcher - Disable Auto-Backlight and Run Haret

Great work! Thanks!

Just a thought after playing around a bit. How hard would it be to incorporate the disabling and re-enabling of the advanced power options as well (i.e., "On battery/external power: turn of backlight/device if not used for...")? Getting this functionality would be the ultimate! I noticed that without it, I couldn't get the backlight to stay off when I hit the power button. Thanks again and keep up the great work!

Last edited by TGabriele; 03-28-2010 at 07:04 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2