PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2010, 06:38 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

michaelagraham is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Android/Linux for CDMA Touch Pro 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00_MACKIE_00 View Post
I can say I like the quickness of Android and I like browsing the internet on it too. It's not as painful browsing as it is on WM. I do consider WM to be very slow compared to Android for web browsing.
Do you use Opera mini beta with WM? I'm using that with the Mr X 2.1 ROM and find it to be extremely fast, definitely nothing I'd describe as "painful".
Old 03-17-2010, 06:40 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: lg optimus
Carrier: Sprint

dishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eschelon View Post
Quote:
I dunno if I got a dud or not but I bought my wife a Samsung Moment, the thing goes into airplane mode by itself and even though its fast as hell, it just dont feel right after using WM for many many years, feels more like a LG phone or a Razr. As an OS, M$ is by far superior. I know we all bitch and moan about WM but after playing around with a real Android phone and not just an SD card setup, I am not convinced yet Android will be the way of the future. I am not ready yet to part ways with WM. Just my 2 cents.
Well it's certainly not as hackable (android, i mean).

I've never seen an iphone or another android phone with the ability to dual-boot a second OS like we are doing right now on a Windows-based OS. So you gotta hand it to WinMo; it's easily the most versatile OS on the planet

But hacking isn't for everybody. In fact, those of us in this forum are an "elite few" who even know how to tweak in the first place. Most everyone else doesn't like to deal with doing what we call a hobby (tweaking our devices)

That's why the iphone and android are so popular: you get all the flash of a smartphone, but all the "tweaking" is done for you. Most people like that, others (like us who flash custom ROMs cuz we hate that aspect) don't.

WinMo's problem is that it's ancient and has a lot of dead weight it's carrying around. That's why guys like MightyMike are so excited for WP7. It's going to purge out all the old crap that lingers with WinMo and, therefore, make it comparable to the iphone and android phones that have lots of bling and new features
Mackie, I hear you on some of that. There are things that WM does better, for sure. Sadly, the core things (like just navigating the OS, and how the notifications/desktop work) on Android are way ahead in terms of efficiency and workflow, not to mention looks. So its a trade off- smooth operating OS, or versatile but clunky. I've gone with Versatile and clunky until now because there are certain features I can't be without, and wouldn't trade them for anything. However, Android is quickly picking up steam lately, and new applications will reach a point in which they are no longer being developed for WinMo, but only for Android from here on out (I found several very cool applications in the Google Market that I've been waiting for someone to create for WM... new app developers aren't looking at WinMo the way they used to).

As for the Moment- I don't know, I've never used one. I've heard people actually say they don't like it, but they were mostly people lusting after the iPhone, so I don't know if they are to be considered a trustworthy opinion. Point is, it may not be a good example. Meanwhile, I've got Myn's warm Donut Android running on my HTC Vogue, and it has pretty much convinced me that I might be wasting my time defending Windows for much longer (Vogue port is flawless, btw- sound, GPS, A2DP bluetooth- all 100% working. Anyone who wants to see what Android on a WinMo device is capable of should check it out!).

Yes, there are still things that WinMo does better...for now. So I'll be switching back to my TP2 and running 6.5 again... for now. But I've had this Vogue running Android for the last week or so, and I'm having a hard time giving it up, despite the smaller screen and slower CPU (not to mention lack of keyboard).

As for the future, Eschelon, I don't see WinPhone 7 being the future. The new UI is compelling, but not for people like me. The new model is very closed, and discourages innovation in favor of an Apple-esque walled garden approach (They announced today that 7 Series WON'T EVEN SUPPORT CUT AND PASTE?!). Will it do well? If they don't botch up the launch, I can see 7 in theory converting quite a few of the iPhone-demographic (who make up a majority of the market), people who want simplified phones that "just work". So yeah, it will do well... but it is NOT the future of the mobile desktop experience. The mobile desktop began with Pocket PC, and died with the 7 announcement, as far as power users are concerned. Anyone who wants the power of a desktop has to look at other options moving forward, and Android seems to be the most powerful train on the right track.

As long as we're sharing our 2 cents on the matter. I really would recommend that we take this into its own thread, however!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:00 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 4G

madoc is keeping up the good workmadoc is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Well it's certainly not as hackable (android, i mean).

I've never seen an iphone or another android phone with the ability to dual-boot a second OS like we are doing right now on a Windows-based OS. So you gotta hand it to WinMo; it's easily the most versatile OS on the planet

But hacking isn't for everybody. In fact, those of us in this forum are an "elite few" who even know how to tweak in the first place. Most everyone else doesn't like to deal with doing what we call a hobby (tweaking our devices)

That's why the iphone and android are so popular: you get all the flash of a smartphone, but all the "tweaking" is done for you. Most people like that, others (like us who flash custom ROMs cuz we hate that aspect) don't.

WinMo's problem is that it's ancient and has a lot of dead weight it's carrying around. That's why guys like MightyMike are so excited for WP7. It's going to purge out all the old crap that lingers with WinMo and, therefore, make it comparable to the iphone and android phones that have lots of bling and new features
Agreed. I have had so much fun loading crazy stuff on the TP1 and TP2 that I am sure to experience quite a letdown with a device I can't mess with.

My biggest problem with WinMo is the absence of routine updates. WebOS, Android, and Apple kick out upgrades and bug fixes almost quarterly. The Sprint TP2 STILL comes with WinMo 6.1 stock. 6.1!!!

I have to rely on sites like this one for my WinMo bug fixes - a strange unsanctioned arrangement (which is also great fun).
Old 03-17-2010, 07:32 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC touch pro
Carrier: sprint

icevapor is just getting started

Hey all, I noticed this on another forum and didn't see it here. If you plug in your phone (via wall or usb) before running booting to android, your phone will charge.

I started with 6 bars power (in settings-power) and played w/ my phone for like 1.5hrs and when I came back to wm I still had six bars. So yeah..... try it.

I dont know if you can unplug it after your in android and plug it back in later... try that too.

I am going to not mess w/ it and leave it, see if it gains bars. I know that a "green bar" isn't a really good unit of measurement, but who cares if I get more bars :P..
Old 03-17-2010, 08:08 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Imagio

animez is keeping up the good workanimez is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelagraham View Post
Do you use Opera mini beta with WM? I'm using that with the Mr X 2.1 ROM and find it to be extremely fast, definitely nothing I'd describe as "painful".
+1 on Opera mini, nothing else I've used even comes close. It's my browser of choice in WinMo and Android.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:06 PM
Я да не ми фъфлиш, бе!
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

Eschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishe View Post
As for the future, Eschelon, I don't see WinPhone 7 being the future.
Ditto
Quote:
I can say I like the quickness of Android and I like browsing the internet on it too. It's not as painful browsing as it is on WM. I do consider WM to be very slow compared to Android for web browsing. Other than that, I don't see alot yet that would make me use Android all the time. I will continue to tinker with it, maybe it will grow on me.
Same here. The reason I've even been following this thread is because it's giving me the chance to test drive Android before deciding if I will stick with WP7, or if I will make the plunge
Old 03-17-2010, 09:29 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Imagio

animez is keeping up the good workanimez is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Same here. The reason I've even been following this thread is because it's giving me the chance to test drive Android before deciding if I will stick with WP7, or if I will make the plunge
With everything that's come out of Mix10 I'm really feeling like WP7 won't look good to me till 7.1 or 7.2 hits. MS took away almost everything I enjoy about WinMo and while some of the new stuff is really cool it doesn't make up for the basic functionality they took away. Multitasking I can understand, but no copy/paste & no SDHC cards? Lame.

As you said, that's what makes the TP2 Android project so cool, it I go elsewhere it will be to Android. Now I can try before I buy!
Old 03-17-2010, 09:40 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC touch pro
Carrier: sprint

icevapor is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by icevapor View Post
Hey all, I noticed this on another forum and didn't see it here. If you plug in your phone (via wall or usb) before running booting to android, your phone will charge.

I started with 6 bars power (in settings-power) and played w/ my phone for like 1.5hrs and when I came back to wm I still had six bars. So yeah..... try it.

I dont know if you can unplug it after your in android and plug it back in later... try that too.

I am going to not mess w/ it and leave it, see if it gains bars. I know that a "green bar" isn't a really good unit of measurement, but who cares if I get more bars :P..
So charging does work if you have the charger plugged in before you boot up android. I gained in bars.in wm after letting it charge in android.

I don't know if you can unplug and replug to charge... someone test it out.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:41 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

WisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to WisdomWolfX

Quote:
Originally Posted by animez View Post
With everything that's come out of Mix10 I'm really feeling like WP7 won't look good to me till 7.1 or 7.2 hits. MS took away almost everything I enjoy about WinMo and while some of the new stuff is really cool it doesn't make up for the basic functionality they took away. Multitasking I can understand, but no copy/paste & no SDHC cards? Lame.

As you said, that's what makes the TP2 Android project so cool, it I go elsewhere it will be to Android. Now I can try before I buy! =D>
Agreed. All the latest WP7 annoncements have just been the final shove I needed to get on the android bandwagon. I've just about convinced my wife that I should get a moment now and then I'll upgrade to supersonic when it comes out and give my wife the moment. Using Android on my TP2 also helped me a lot as I've been addicted to it and want so badly to be able to use it 24/7.

Jumped ship for Android now that WM is officially useless.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:55 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

newedeh is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by icevapor View Post
So charging does work if you have the charger plugged in before you boot up android. I gained in bars.in wm after letting it charge in android.

I don't know if you can unplug and replug to charge... someone test it out.
The newest Kernel seems to work with charging.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2

Tags
android linux tp2 cdma, eclair, touch pro2