PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2 > Android On TP2 Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2011, 06:04 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

steveholtam is keeping up the good worksteveholtam is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: [TESTING] SCBS: Improved battery meter system

I'm trying to stop SCBS by using /dev/null via a terminal emulater. I have set rootfs as writable, but after running the /dev/null code as written above, I get the following error:

Cannot open device: /dev/scbs0

Anyone have a clue on what I should try? THANKS!
Old 04-26-2011, 06:12 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: T-Mobile Touch Pro 2
Carrier: T-Mobile

toadlife is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveholtam View Post
I'm trying to stop SCBS by using /dev/null via a terminal emulater. I have set rootfs as writable, but after running the /dev/null code as written above, I get the following error:

Cannot open device: /dev/scbs0

Anyone have a clue on what I should try? THANKS!
You are getting that error because scbs is already running. You can't stop scbs once it's running. In order to change the way it logs you have to edit the file /init and reboot the phone.

You should probably just leave things as they are if you don't understand what that means.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:20 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

manekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuff

If you just don't want the logs anymore after you've setup SCBS, an easy way is to add a line like this to your conf file at the end:
rm -f /sdcard/scbs.log*
Old 04-28-2011, 06:30 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

steveholtam is keeping up the good worksteveholtam is keeping up the good work

I think I am getting reduced battery life because of the SCBS addition to the kernel. Prior to this, I would get to 5pm or 6pm before getting into the red. Since the new addition, I'm getting to about two hours less battery life.

If I can find the prior kernel, I'm just going to switch back.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:48 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: T-Mobile Touch Pro 2

toadlife is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveholtam View Post
I think I am getting reduced battery life because of the SCBS addition to the kernel. Prior to this, I would get to 5pm or 6pm before getting into the red. Since the new addition, I'm getting to about two hours less battery life.

If I can find the prior kernel, I'm just going to switch back.
You may want to try just switching to the non-scbs rootfs, as it might be the scbs program (which is in the rootfs) draining your battery and not the kernel changes. I've stopped using scbs myself due to the fact that it seemed to be causing instability in my phone.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:48 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: rhodium
Carrier: tmobile
Threadstarter

jonpry knows their stuffjonpry knows their stuffjonpry knows their stuffjonpry knows their stuffjonpry knows their stuffjonpry knows their stuffjonpry knows their stuff

It definitely uses power, about 2ma by my measurements. I get about 70 hours on my 210.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:44 AM
VIP Member

ndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonpry View Post
It definitely uses power, about 2ma by my measurements. I get about 70 hours on my 210.
Is there any way to reduce its activity? When it runs in daemon mode, does it exchange data with the scbs-supported kernel, "telling" it how to manage the battery meter as well as charging?
Old 04-29-2011, 08:54 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: rhodium
Carrier: tmobile
Threadstarter

jonpry knows their stuffjonpry knows their stuffjonpry knows their stuffjonpry knows their stuffjonpry knows their stuffjonpry knows their stuffjonpry knows their stuff

Not really. The kernel takes battery measurements every 5 seconds, while sleeping or not, and then pipes this data to the daemon which processes the numbers and computes a percentage. The percentage is then sent back to the kernel so it can be presented on the old interface that all htc libhardware's want to use. The measurements have to be fairly often to reduce noise. I really don't see the problem though at 70 hours it is a 10% reduction in life. With more usage, say your only getting 24 hours, its like 3%. At 8 hours its only 1.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:16 PM
Regular 'Geeker

manekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonpry View Post
Not really. The kernel takes battery measurements every 5 seconds, while sleeping or not, and then pipes this data to the daemon which processes the numbers and computes a percentage. The percentage is then sent back to the kernel so it can be presented on the old interface that all htc libhardware's want to use. The measurements have to be fairly often to reduce noise. I really don't see the problem though at 70 hours it is a 10% reduction in life. With more usage, say your only getting 24 hours, its like 3%. At 8 hours its only 1.
How does the previous battery algorithm XDAndroid has been using avoid draining the battery with its calculations? Presumably, it too had to run fairly frequent calculations in order to have something to display.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:26 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC G1, TP2

highlandsun is keeping up the good workhighlandsun is keeping up the good workhighlandsun is keeping up the good work

The previous algorithm woke up every 10 seconds and re-computed everything.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2 > Android On TP2 Development

Tags
battery, tp2