PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Android On TP2 Development (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=319)
-   -   [BUILD] **Complete GingerBread Bundle!!** GBX0A - Alpha! Camera! (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=140846)

arrrghhh 02-12-2011 03:36 PM

[BUILD] **Complete GingerBread Bundle!!** GBX0A - Alpha! Camera!

1 Attachment(s)
Please read this entire post!

<<<This is a link to the... FAQ Click it!!>>>

I have created a complete bundle of GingerBread with the newest kernel from GIT (Feb 28 / 1276), and the newest rootfs from GIT (Feb 24).

Please, feel free to DONATE to the XDAndroid project!

Every little bit helps!

Directions:

1. Download the full bundle (zip). (Updated Mar. 11 2011)

If instead you just want the system.ext2 (zip) file (updated Mar. 25 2011) by itself...

2. Extract it. You’ll see a folder, GBX0A, copy its contents to the root of your SD card.

3. Go into the STARTUPS folder. Grab the appropriate startup.txt for your device (if you don't know what device you have, you should read the FAQ), and move it to the root of the card (or where you run haret.exe from. If you want to change the location of the build, put a rel_path= statement in the cmdline section of the startup.txt. Mine is located two folders deep on the SD, so my rel_path=Androids/TP2Ref)

4. Click haret.exe on your phone thru File Explorer, Total Commander, etc.

5. Watch the boot process - you’ll see a section where you have to calibrate the screen - don’t forget to do this! Optionally, if you’ve already done this copy your ts-calibration file from your other build.

**This isn't working with 1276 (the newest kernel from GIT, which I've included). So, I have attached a ts-calibration that should work for RHOD/TOPA (probably BLAC too) alike. Extract the .zip (should be a single file - ts-calibration with no file extension) to where you run haret.exe from. If you want to create your own, use an older kernel from GIT (some have to use 1225) and generate the ts-calibration file. Once you have the calibration file hold on to it (make 15 copies if it's a good one :p), reboot & go back to the newest kernel! Thanks**

6. Profit! :D

Let it settle out on the first boot. Many have reported they had to reboot basically because it was so slow - I think if you let it sit for about 10 mins so the media scanner can go thru everything, etc. If you want adb in and watch the processes via top, you'll see why the phone seems so slow - there's lots of background processes cranking because this is the first boot ;).

Troubleshooting:
Please read the... FAQ
If you have any issues with the kernel, feel free to change it:
There are some devices that are having issues with the newest kernels. Please see the kernel autobuild service to get newer or archived kernels. Once you download a replacement kernel, go to where you run haret.exe from - remove your old zImage/modules-xxxxx.tar.gz. Take the new zImage/modules-xxxxx.tar.gz and replace the old ones, same folder - where you run haret.exe from. Make sure the ‘zImage’ is named just that. Do not rename the modules file, do not extract it - should be in .tar.gz format.

In addition, I am using the newest rootfs from GIT - Feb. 10. There are other rootfs options, see F22’s thread if you want to use more keys or move around the home button. Of course, there's always the roofs autobuild service if you want "stock" rootfs images - F22 builds his off of these and modifies them ;).

Random issues can often be solved by forcing the system to create a new data.img. If you're worried about losing data, Titanium Backup works quite well. If you wish, you can rename the data.img to something else, and let the system create a new one - just to see if it resolves your problem.

Similarly, if you wish try formatting your SD card - I prefer to use the HP Tool - do a full format, FAT32.

Obviously this build is Alpha, and there are going to be problems. The next post will address issues particular to this build - PLEASE READ THESE before asking questions! Feel free to post questions in this thread, I will do my best to address them. Big thanks to stinebd for releasing the system image, and of course the other developers for their hard work on making these kernels available.

stinebd's original post HERE

Mar. 11 2011 Changelog

arrrghhh 02-12-2011 03:37 PM

Re: [BUILD] **Complete GingerBread Bundle!!**

Things broken in this build:

libgps - explains itself, no GPS and probably no netloc (cell-tower based location)

HW3D is either not working, or just not preset - I ran neocore and let's just say a lot of textures are missing. Got a ridiculous score, but again - no textures, not much to render haha.

Data - very flaky - CDMA users have data break for them after every phone call, and GSM users seem to have better luck but it's not flawless. Even seen reports of wifi having issues with data not going out to the WAN. There is a bug filed on this issue.

Anything that's broken in Froyo, is probably broken in this build. Although what is interesting, I noticed that in this build I don't have the landscape-on-boot issue that I get with Froyo...

arrrghhh 02-12-2011 03:45 PM

Changelog
March 25, 2011
  • Further tuned keyboard sizing to be useful on VGA (also made the key labels bigger)
  • World-phone settings support (very important for future RIL enhancements especially on CDMA)
  • Enabled HSPA icon (someone on GSM please let me know if it actually works)

boredandtattooed 02-12-2011 03:47 PM

i have the gngerbread kB for awhile now on my TP2, its much smaller than Androids previous KBs..

proxhack 02-12-2011 03:54 PM

Thanks Arrrghhh!

arrrghhh 02-12-2011 04:24 PM

Link posted, enjoy!

manekineko 02-12-2011 06:20 PM

Re: [BUILD] **Complete GingerBread Bundle!!** GBX0A - Alpha!

Thanks for posting this up!

I tried it originally with my old data.img from FRX04, and for some reason it didn't recognize my Google accounts, and would only let me add new Exchange accounts and not Google accounts. Started fresh though, settings things up now, and things seem to be going smoothly!

MassStash 02-12-2011 06:55 PM

Screw the old data, just use a new one n it works perfectly fine...

Its naaaaaaaaaaasty too btw

Sent from my rhod400 using Tapatalk

manekineko 02-12-2011 08:12 PM

Just to update my previous post, after starting from a clean image, I now have it fully setup, and everything is going just great with this build.

Other than the known issues, it's pretty much like Froyo, but with a new skin.

Boominsvx 02-12-2011 09:25 PM

Who should you be thanking that you haven't yet? Sorry buddy. Had to. :)

manekineko 02-12-2011 11:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This report is for arrrghhh, whom I know was really curious about Angry Birds performance.

I installed Angry Birds Lite, and interestingly the peak performance is better than any other build I've ever tried. At its smoothest, it feels almost as good as on an iPod.

Unfortunately, you don't get peak smoothness almost ever, and there is more stuttering and slow downs than in FRX04 and FroyoX. You can see the peak smoothness pretty clearly by loading the first level and only viewing the area where the birds are jumping around by the slingshot.

All the graphics that worked in Froyo still work in Gingerbread in Angry Birds Lite, and the graphics that didn't work like the ground still don't work, and presumably never will because apparently those require hardware we don't have.

Considering this is an alpha release, I'm pretty encouraged!

Edit:
Been playing more games, and I definitely wasn't imagining it. OpenTyrian increased from I would guess ~15fps in Froyo to probably ~30fps. Unlike Angry Birds, it maintains its framerate much better, and only occasionally dips, but when it dips it probably dips low, to around 5-8 fps. There is some graphical glitching here, but I'm not sure, I think that might have also been present in Froyo.

Excitingly, this is the first time that an NES emulator runs fast enough to render Super Mario Brothers in real time! It's actually playable, once you turn off audio which is stuttery and really slows down everything. Increase from too slow a fps to keep up in real time, to probably around 20fps.

Fps2D remains hardware locked at just short of 30fps.

Neocore gets 29fps, but as noted by arrrghhh all textured 3D objects aren't showing. I also got a kernel panic almost immediately after it finished, which is attached.

Astro SMB causes an immediate crash when you attempt to connect to an SMB share, whereas it worked perfectly in Froyo.

Edit2: Got another kernel panic while trying to start Neocore this time, as opposed to after it finished. Also attached that. I'm going to stop trying to run that now.

arrrghhh 02-13-2011 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boominsvx (Post 2055287)
Who should you be thanking that you haven't yet? Sorry buddy. Had to. :)

If you're referring to the very public spat I had with tiad8, that wasn't about thanking anyone. It was about asking for permission... Let's not drag it back up tho, thanks.

2phonejones 02-13-2011 01:13 AM

Thanks argggh

Counterfeit 02-13-2011 10:20 AM

Thanks for the heads up.

lemeiux1 02-13-2011 02:11 PM

Hey thanks for this Arrrghhh. Other than what you had posted I am not really having any other issues, and for an alpha its pretty darn stable. One question though, I cant seem to overclock this build like the others I have on my sd card, has anyone successfully overclocked this build with the normal startup text method?

Boominsvx 02-13-2011 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arrrghhh (Post 2055376)
If you're referring to the very public spat I had with tiad8, that wasn't about thanking anyone. It was about asking for permission... Let's not drag it back up tho, thanks.

Yea, and also reserving myself a post on the first page for future fixes/findings. Relax, you know we know the amount of information you retain to greatly help the developers with this project. Just playin. Over and done with. I'm gonna test this out and see how shes working while we wait for a testable NAND ...anything.

Edit: Here's one. If your download does not start automatically, just go to http://files.xdandroid.com/ and select the current GBX04 there. (Mine wouldn't start for whatever reason).

arrrghhh 02-13-2011 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boominsvx (Post 2055702)
Yea, and also reserving myself a post on the first page for future fixes/findings. Relax, you know we know the amount of information you retain to greatly help the developers with this project. Just playin. Over and done with. I'm gonna test this out and see how shes working while we wait for a testable NAND ...anything.

Edit: Here's one. If your download does not start automatically, just go to XDAndroid and select the current GBX04 there. (Mine wouldn't start for whatever reason).

No hard feelings bro. Link works fine for me tho, just tested it again...

stckmojo 02-14-2011 12:13 AM

It seems to be pretty solid so far.

I can't wait until the motion sensors work... many of the games that crashed out during the install on prior builds are installing without an issue.

ndno 02-14-2011 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arrrghhh (Post 2055781)
No hard feelings bro. Link works fine for me tho, just tested it again...

I had issue using the link in the first post yesterday also. I was able finally able to download by going straight to files.xandroid.com and selecting the file there.

arrrghhh 02-14-2011 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndno (Post 2055852)
I had issue using the link in the first post yesterday also. I was able finally able to download by going straight to files.xandroid.com and selecting the file there.

Weird. I wonder if stine was moving them. Can you test it again? Don't have to download it, just make sure the link works and offers you to dl something. I just tried it again, and it still works for me... Not sure what's up with that.

proxhack 02-14-2011 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arrrghhh (Post 2055942)
Weird. I wonder if stine was moving them. Can you test it again? Don't have to download it, just make sure the link works and offers you to dl something. I just tried it again, and it still works for me... Not sure what's up with that.

it works, I just did it.

Thank you!

manekineko 02-15-2011 08:57 PM

Just tried out adding a SIP account, which is a new Gingerbread feature, and it works!

Wifi calling for free with it is pretty damn hot. I have it hooked up to a Gizmo5 account and use Google Voice Callback to dial out.

No more using minutes when I'm at home! :mrgreen:

akamemnon 02-15-2011 11:21 PM

I have and sip number, where do you set this up in gingerbread since it is built in? I was using sipdroid and google voice callback. Thanks in advance

Sent from my FROYO X using Tapatalk

manekineko 02-15-2011 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akamemnon (Post 2056792)
I have and sip number, where do you set this up in gingerbread since it is built in? I was using sipdroid and google voice callback. Thanks in advance

It's under Settings => Call settings, at the button under Internet call settings.

manekineko 02-17-2011 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akamemnon (Post 2056792)

How is the voice quality in VOIP for you with sipdroid and with Gingerbread?

I was pretty excited about this at first, but it seems that while it works when I test it, the sound quality goes to hell with lots of stuttering and drop outs whenever I have an important phone call. :scratch:

I wonder if our phones might not have the horsepower to handle the VOIP calls? Because on the exact same network my laptop can make VOIP calls without any stuttering.

gonzo 02-18-2011 12:58 PM

Not sure where to post this, but since this is now my current build, where can I get the dev tools or package that allowed me to run tcpdump from a shell prompt? I used to be able to, but not sure what build that was. Any help would be appreciated,
thanks!

arrrghhh 02-18-2011 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gonzo (Post 2057985)
Not sure where to post this, but since this is now my current build, where can I get the dev tools or package that allowed me to run tcpdump from a shell prompt? I used to be able to, but not sure what build that was. Any help would be appreciated,
thanks!

Dev tools was not included in this build as stine is trying to move away from the developer builds - lots more debugging stuff that actually can slow the phone down. Might be one of the reasons gb feels so much quicker.

At any rate, I use an app on the market called "ConnectBot" <--- much prefer it to the terminal emulator, I don't ever use terminal emulator anymore ;).

The app can be used to connect to remote sessions, but you can also use it to connect to the phone's local shell..

gonzo 02-18-2011 01:09 PM

Oh yeah, I use and prefer connectbot as well for shell, and had also posted it in another thread. The problem I'm having is running tcpdump from the shell - it's as though the package is not included. I'm trying to do some VPN testing and would love to be able to debug the individual packets themselves.

I love me some connectbot, tho: use it for MUDs, SSH, telnet, shell, etc.

arrrghhh 02-18-2011 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gonzo (Post 2057993)
Oh yeah, I use and prefer connectbot as well for shell, and had also posted it in another thread. The problem I'm having is running tcpdump from the shell - it's as though the package is not included. I'm trying to do some VPN testing and would love to be able to debug the individual packets themselves.

I love me some connectbot, tho: use it for MUDs, SSH, telnet, shell, etc.

Hrm... perhaps it's not included, again part of the whole moving to more consumer side of things rather than the developer side of things...

gonzo 02-18-2011 01:34 PM

*Sigh...* Guess I'll have to finally start getting my hands dirty with all this dev stuff.

Thanks for your help, arrrghhh, & thanks for this build - I am really liking it & enjoying the stability.

manekineko 02-19-2011 04:26 PM

There's a cool, random little feature on Gingerbread where the status bar icons for wifi or 3G will turn white when they can't connect to Google.

I guess normally, the idea is for hotels and other wifi access points that require you to go to a portal page before you can access the Internet.

It's pretty handy for us and our fritzy data connections, though. Can just glance down and notice the icons are white instead of green and know that even though my phone claims it's connected, the data connection is actually dead and needs to be disabled and re-enabled.

lemeiux1 02-23-2011 05:22 PM

anyone else have a problem with data not restarting after receiving a phone call? I have to turn off data and turn it back on for it to work again every time I make or receive a call

arrrghhh 02-23-2011 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lemeiux1 (Post 2060364)
anyone else have a problem with data not restarting after receiving a phone call? I have to turn off data and turn it back on for it to work again every time I make or receive a call

Is this a Gingerbread-only issue...?

manekineko 02-23-2011 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lemeiux1 (Post 2060364)

Hmm you might be right. I just tried making a call and now I have a dead data connection. I don't remember ever seeing this on FRX before.

arrrghhh 02-23-2011 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manekineko (Post 2060396)
Hmm you might be right. I just tried making a call and now I have a dead data connection. I don't remember ever seeing this on FRX before.

Well the data connection obviously has to drop during the call. It just never restores on its own..?

ivwonka 02-23-2011 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manekineko (Post 2057269)
How is the voice quality in VOIP for you with sipdroid and with Gingerbread?

I was pretty excited about this at first, but it seems that while it works when I test it, the sound quality goes to hell with lots of stuttering and drop outs whenever I have an important phone call. :scratch:

I wonder if our phones might not have the horsepower to handle the VOIP calls? Because on the exact same network my laptop can make VOIP calls without any stuttering.

sipdroid on gingerbread on my hd2 has poor quality too. I havn't tried it on my tp2 yet though.

lemeiux1 02-23-2011 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arrrghhh (Post 2060375)
Is this a Gingerbread-only issue...?

Yes I have 3 other builds on my card which all have data working fine after a phone call has been made/received

thanks

manekineko 02-23-2011 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arrrghhh (Post 2060399)
Well the data connection obviously has to drop during the call. It just never restores on its own..?

It restores to the broken connection that shows as connected, but is actually unable to receive data. The icons are white, and when you try to access the Internet, you see the up arrow going, but the down arrow never replies.

lemeiux1 03-02-2011 05:28 PM

If anyone is interested there is a new system ext2 out for gingerbread that has a much better size keyboard, (as always thanks to stinebd)

files.xdandroid.com (also FRX05!)

tiad8 03-11-2011 02:41 AM

Hi guys

Good news

I got camera fully working on this build. I did not touch anything else. I left the system.ext2 the same. I just add it camera support.

I only test it on my rhod400. But it should work for all the devices.

What works
Gmail
Camera
And everything else that was working before.

All credit goes to stinebd for this

I will upload it today after work.

Thanks