PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Android On TP2 Development (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=319)
-   -   [BUILD] **Complete GingerBread Bundle!!** GBX0A - Alpha! Camera! (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=140846)

ffkip911 03-18-2011 04:31 PM

Re: [BUILD] **Complete GingerBread Bundle!!** GBX0A - Alpha! Camera!

clicked on "android" APN then back to sprint then to latitiude----no service. so back to network and deleted "android" SR--going to check if data holds

fishingmedic 03-18-2011 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndno (Post 2070399)
So far so good, a day without any reboots or SOD. Will let it run over the weekend and let you guys know. Yeah, this requires you to pick up some real "Linux" hacking skills. You'll have to install Ubuntu or some other Linux distro and use fdisk to repartition your SD card into the different partitions I was talking about. Nate showed my how to remap the cache directory to another EXT2 partition to allow the SD card to wear out more evenly.

Ok, that sounds too confusing, I'm sure you and arrrghhh would ban me with the amount of questions I'd be asking... I'll stick with GBX0A and FRX05 lmao

arrrghhh 03-18-2011 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndno (Post 2070399)
So far so good, a day without any reboots or SOD. Will let it run over the weekend and let you guys know. Yeah, this requires you to pick up some real "Linux" hacking skills. You'll have to install Ubuntu or some other Linux distro and use fdisk to repartition your SD card into the different partitions I was talking about. Nate showed my how to remap the cache directory to another EXT2 partition to allow the SD card to wear out more evenly.

I don't know if putting this on a dedicated partition will resolve the SoD or reboot issue TBH - it certainly should be better overall compared to looped filesystems tho, I would imagine.

Also, I don't think this would require Linux - there's tools for Windows that allow you to partition the SD in all sorts of file systems. It's just easier with Linux because a) the tools are built into the system and b) Windows won't be able to read those newly created partitions anyways, without other 3rd party tools :p.

Not to take any wind out of your sails, but I wouldn't consider that Linux hacking skills ;). Certainly got some geek cred, and it's not easy to do without any prior knowledge - but far from what I would consider hacking :p. Neopeek builds have required this for quite some time... (a separate ext2 partition that is)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndno (Post 2070402)
It could be... I'm currently running at 710. The kernel is not constantly running at 710, it will throttle between the OC speed and the lower speed (122) depending on the processor's load, so it won't waste battery or overheat. I remembered arrrghhh saying that higher OC can cause instabilities so it definitely can be speed related. If you have bad data in your data.img, it can also be related to that too. That's why I'm switching to the EXT2 partition test I'm currently doing now to see if it's more reliable.

hyc said that running on dedicated partitions did localize his corruption - thus not having to blast out his data.img (or in this case partition) as frequently - that doesn't mean that it eliminated the issue.

In theory it should be a little quicker as well - it might not be significant enough to even be noticeable to the end user.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishingmedic (Post 2070406)
Ok, that sounds too confusing, I'm sure you and arrrghhh would ban me with the amount of questions I'd be asking... I'll stick with GBX0A and FRX05 lmao

If there's some demand for it, ndno (or me) can certainly make a how-to do this. The rootfs is already configured to handle it, so AFAIK you just have to setup the partitions and drop the data in - I'm not really sure how much repointing is involved TBH.

ffkip911 03-18-2011 05:53 PM

voice to text no worky through google on gbx0a..works fine on frx05

ndno 03-18-2011 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arrrghhh (Post 2070414)
I don't know if putting this on a dedicated partition will resolve the SoD or reboot issue TBH - it certainly should be better overall compared to looped filesystems tho, I would imagine.

Also, I don't think this would require Linux - there's tools for Windows that allow you to partition the SD in all sorts of file systems. It's just easier with Linux because a) the tools are built into the system and b) Windows won't be able to read those newly created partitions anyways, without other 3rd party tools :p.

Not to take any wind out of your sails, but I wouldn't consider that Linux hacking skills ;). Certainly got some geek cred, and it's not easy to do without any prior knowledge - but far from what I would consider hacking :p. Neopeek builds have required this for quite some time... (a separate ext2 partition that is)

hyc said that running on dedicated partitions did localize his corruption - thus not having to blast out his data.img (or in this case partition) as frequently - that doesn't mean that it eliminated the issue.

In theory it should be a little quicker as well - it might not be significant enough to even be noticeable to the end user.

If there's some demand for it, ndno (or me) can certainly make a how-to do this. The rootfs is already configured to handle it, so AFAIK you just have to setup the partitions and drop the data in - I'm not really sure how much repointing is involved TBH.

Yeah, I didn't mean to say it will fix the restarts/SOD. Just thought it will may have better data integrity using a native ext2 partition than a data.img mounted on a FAT32 partition; I'm just speculating... ;)

Yeah, it's not really "hacking" skills. I called it hacking because that's what I'm doing, hacking away at the scripts and stuff until it works. ;)

arrrghhh, if you find a good Windows tool that can create Linux EXT2 partitions (EXT4 for GBX0A), let's us know. I didn't know such tools existed so that's why I said a Linux distro is required. I guess I should do some more googling; I just tend to like Linux more so I didn't bother searching.

I didn't realize that neopeek was already doing this; I have never used neopeek. So I guess neopeek is more complicated to set up than the haret builds we have here :)

Again, I'm just doing this as an experiment for learning purposes so unless there are a lot of PROs for switching to native EXT2 partitions on a SD card, people should just stick to the way haret builds are set up in this forum. Besides, the NAND project is very close (if not yet) to completing and it uses native EXT2 partitions on a faster NAND interface so people should wait for that :)

arrrghhh 03-18-2011 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndno (Post 2070426)
Yeah, I didn't mean to say it will fix the restarts/SOD. Just thought it will may have better data integrity using a native ext2 partition than a data.img mounted on a FAT32 partition; I'm just speculating... ;)

Yeah, it's not really "hacking" skills. I called it hacking because that's what I'm doing, hacking away at the scripts and stuff until it works. ;)

arrrghhh, if you find a good Windows tool that can create Linux EXT2 partitions (EXT4 for GBX0A), let's us know. I didn't know such tools existed so that's why I said a Linux distro is required. I guess I should do some more googling; I just tend to like Linux more so I didn't bother searching.

I didn't realize that neopeek was already doing this; I have never used neopeek. So I guess neopeek is more complicated to set up than the haret builds we have here :)

Again, I'm just doing this as an experiment for learning purposes so unless there are a lot of PROs for switching to native EXT2 partitions on a SD card, people should just stick to the way haret builds are set up in this forum. Besides, the NAND project is very close (if not yet) to completing and it uses native EXT2 partitions on a faster NAND interface so people should wait for that :)

Agreed on the NAND comments.

I would not agree with ext4 for GB - the reason being is journaled file systems should NOT be used on SD cards - unless you use a very specific type of mount, I believe the mount option is noatime. Either way, be very, VERY careful when using a journaled FS on a SD card - I would just avoid that altogether.

Neopeek builds are definitely harder to use, no question :p.

The tool I heard people were using was calling MiniPartitionTool or something to that effect...

ffkip911 03-18-2011 08:12 PM

removing "android" from APN does not fix data

arrrghhh 03-18-2011 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ffkip911 (Post 2070450)
removing "android" from APN does not fix data

I've always just flipped data off/back on, and that's almost always worked... Odd it doesn't for the rest of you.

I don't know if this has been given the attention it deserves... but there's a lot of other stuff being hashed out lately.

ffkip911 03-18-2011 08:34 PM

I know GPS is no worky---but clicking on aloqa (pulls gps/wifi/cell for localized things to do) or clicking latitude causes freezing needing SR

arrrghhh 03-18-2011 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ffkip911 (Post 2070455)
I know GPS is no worky---but clicking on aloqa (pulls gps/wifi/cell for localized things to do) or clicking latitude causes freezing needing SR

Just to be sure, you have both types of loc disabled as well - netloc thru wifi or cell towers and GPS?

I would think the app would still work, but perhaps not because of the piece it's asking for isn't available...

ffkip911 03-18-2011 10:57 PM

completely agree.

Quote:

Originally Posted by arrrghhh (Post 2070458)
Just to be sure, you have both types of loc disabled as well - netloc thru wifi or cell towers and GPS?

I would think the app would still work, but perhaps not because of the piece it's asking for isn't available...

oisact 03-20-2011 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishingmedic (Post 2070386)
ffkip, I was running GBX0A since yesterday and other than the data, hadn't had any issues until earlier today. Seems like every time I try to slide out the hard kb to text, etc, I keep getting FC's on it. And on both builds GBX0A and FRX05 lately I seem to be having more and more hard KB issues, just stops typing and you've gotta close the kb and reopen it to continue.

I've had similar keyboard issues on occasion, and I think the problem is the input box is losing focus. Either I'm accidentally hitting the up or down arrow key, or bumping the screen. Try tapping in the edit box next time that happens and see if you can type again. I also get hung keys from time to time that repeat over and over a few dozen times, but that's been going on for months with every single Android package I've tried.

mpegguy2000 03-26-2011 11:18 PM

I have been lingering for a good while but always kept to myself while admiring the build and project. But, I am now very comfortable installing this on my TP2 but wanted to ask a question first to make sure I am following this correctly.

My TP2 is for Sprint so I had to unlock it via ROM to allow for use on my carrier Tmobile. If I install this will it reverse the "unlock" and bring my phone back to a sprint phone or will it continue to work with any network?

manekineko 03-27-2011 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpegguy2000 (Post 2074451)
I have been lingering for a good while but always kept to myself while admiring the build and project. But, I am now very comfortable installing this on my TP2 but wanted to ask a question first to make sure I am following this correctly.

My TP2 is for Sprint so I had to unlock it via ROM to allow for use on my carrier Tmobile. If I install this will it reverse the "unlock" and bring my phone back to a sprint phone or will it continue to work with any network?

You should be safe, it shouldn't affect anything on the WinMo side to run this.

arrrghhh 03-27-2011 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manekineko (Post 2074544)
You should be safe, it shouldn't affect anything on the WinMo side to run this.

I will echo this comment and say it will definitely not revert your unlocking of the phone. As was stated, this project doesn't really touch WinMo at all - part of the beauty, you don't even need to hSPL to run this ;).

matchstickredgti 03-28-2011 06:23 PM

Tried a few different zimage/modules, but this build still isn't seeing my SD card. Going into Gallery, I get a message 'SD card unmounted or not present'

Any quick fixes for this? Sorry if this is a known issue or something. I read through and didn't see anyone else with the problem. Maybe just creating a new data.img?

Normally I use Neopeek builds and don't encounter this problem. Other than that, this is a pretty stable, fast build. I think this build might be a little more stable than the Neopeek GB build. I got a lot of FCs on there, but only a handful on here so far.

arrrghhh 03-28-2011 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mangomango (Post 2075351)
Tried a few different zimage/modules, but this build still isn't seeing my SD card. Going into Gallery, I get a message 'SD card unmounted or not present'

Any quick fixes for this? Sorry if this is a known issue or something. I read through and didn't see anyone else with the problem. Maybe just creating a new data.img?

Normally I use Neopeek builds and don't encounter this problem. Other than that, this is a pretty stable, fast build. I think this build might be a little more stable than the Neopeek GB build. I got a lot of FCs on there, but only a handful on here so far.

I wish I had a "good" solution for you.

I do have a solution - better than none right?

Basically format your card using the HP tool. Full format, FAT32. You can backup all your data and plop it back on the card when done - after that, the build should detect your SD card.

I wish there was another way - but since putting all the same files back on seems to work, it's gotta be something on the SD itself I would think.

Sting32 03-28-2011 07:02 PM

I have one nagging problem I cannot figure out, I had a stable version installed (the xdandroid, released mid January... but I finally decided to try newer and destroyed that version... No matter what version I try now even this GBX04a, every time I open the browser, it flashes, then crashes back to windows. if I stop the page from loading all the way (on screen about you see about 5mm left to load at google home page on that loading bar) it "can" live, but next link you open will flash really bright then back to windows. I will try right now to change home screen I guess?

Could this be becuase I use the wrong startup? on that 1st one, from XDAndroid I thought I was instructed to use rhod500 for my CDMA Touch Pro, on verizon, so I assumed that woudlnt change, but now I doubt any information I thought I knew.

I have gone back to every version except the original pre packed XDA frx02 version, and they all act the same? what am I doing wrong? However one thing I been consistant on, I unzip to andboot folder, then erase card on phone, then copy this over and edit the same rhod500 folders, startup.txt giving the rel_path=andboot

DO I need to make it be in GBX04A folder instead of andboot? or something else i do/did stoopidly? thanks

thanks.

matchstickredgti 03-28-2011 07:23 PM

Thanks arrrghhh I was hoping it wouldn't come to that but I'm going to give it a shot. I appreciate the quick response.

edit: Well that seemed to have solved the problem. What does the HP formatting tool do differently then using the Windows format? Cause before I even posted I tried with the Windows formatting tool and it didn't work.

ffkip911 03-28-2011 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sting32 (Post 2075367)
I have one nagging problem I cannot figure out, I had a stable version installed (the xdandroid, released mid January... but I finally decided to try newer and destroyed that version... No matter what version I try now even this GBX04a, every time I open the browser, it flashes, then crashes back to windows. if I stop the page from loading all the way (on screen about you see about 5mm left to load at google home page on that loading bar) it "can" live, but next link you open will flash really bright then back to windows. I will try right now to change home screen I guess?

Could this be becuase I use the wrong startup? on that 1st one, from XDAndroid I thought I was instructed to use rhod500 for my CDMA Touch Pro, on verizon, so I assumed that woudlnt change, but now I doubt any information I thought I knew.

I have gone back to every version except the original pre packed XDA frx02 version, and they all act the same? what am I doing wrong? However one thing I been consistant on, I unzip to andboot folder, then erase card on phone, then copy this over and edit the same rhod500 folders, startup.txt giving the rel_path=andboot

DO I need to make it be in GBX04A folder instead of andboot? or something else i do/did stoopidly? thanks

thanks.

yep, rel_path=gbx04a

EDIT: sorry, just re-read the question again. After 7zip you have a folder labeled "gbx04a" within that you are pulling your startup text from "startup" folder. the startup.txt will probably be labeled rel_path=gbx04a....if this is the case, copy and past the unzipped folder labled gbx04a onto the root of your card. just make sure your correct startup.txt is in that folder and you should be good

just checked---when it's unzipped it's called froyo x ginger cdma---once unzipped rename the folder gbx04a and make sure the startup.txt is labeled the same (for ease of use, I renamed my folder "ginger" and made my startup text rel_path=ginger)

matchstickredgti 03-28-2011 08:54 PM

Another thing I would like to bring up...

When I change font size in Spare Parts, it will change the size throughout the system as normal, but if the phone goes to sleep and then wakes up, it reverts back. I don't know if it was like this in all the builds, I just now noticed.

arrrghhh 03-28-2011 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mangomango (Post 2075429)
Another thing I would like to bring up...

When I change font size in Spare Parts, it will change the size throughout the system as normal, but if the phone goes to sleep and then wakes up, it reverts back. I don't know if it was like this in all the builds, I just now noticed.

Heh, I've never tried changing fonts. I'll confirm and let you know.

hammester 03-29-2011 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mangomango (Post 2075370)
Thanks arrrghhh I was hoping it wouldn't come to that but I'm going to give it a shot. I appreciate the quick response.

edit: Well that seemed to have solved the problem. What does the HP formatting tool do differently then using the Windows format? Cause before I even posted I tried with the Windows formatting tool and it didn't work.

Crazy isn't it? I had the same thing happen to me and was SHOCKED when the HP tool worked.

arrrghhh 03-29-2011 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hammester (Post 2075601)
Crazy isn't it? I had the same thing happen to me and was SHOCKED when the HP tool worked.

My theory is something with the partition table - Windows either doesn't touch it or FUBAR's it, and the HP Tool (and others) fixes it ;).

kimtaei 03-30-2011 02:26 AM

just get the gingerbread(25032011) from XDAndroid up on my TP2 but the camcorder still not working. display freeze when recording(recording time is running), once stop it doesn't saved at all. other is same with GBX0A date 11032011. fast and smooth and all the known problem still there. 8-[

ffkip911 03-30-2011 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimtaei (Post 2076264)
just get the gingerbread(25032011) from XDAndroid up on my TP2 but the camcorder still not working. display freeze when recording(recording time is running), once stop it doesn't saved at all. other is same with GBX0A date 11032011. fast and smooth and all the known problem still there. 8-[

yep, hence the title "alpha"

kimtaei 03-30-2011 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ffkip911 (Post 2076266)
yep, hence the title "alpha"

what is the change log over the previous version dated 11/03/2011?? it seems like no difference at all except the appearance...:razz:

arrrghhh 03-30-2011 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimtaei (Post 2076284)
what is the change log over the previous version dated 11/03/2011?? it seems like no difference at all except the appearance...:razz:

Ah! I had a changelog in post #3 for Froyo, I forgot about GB! Thanks for pointing that out, changelog in third post now ;). The changes are pretty minor, unfortunately.

Sting32 04-05-2011 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sting32 (Post 2075367)

thanks.

In case this helps someone that has this problem listed above, it is because GPS is disabled in on the windows side!

A part that I left off in the question was, that I hard reset windows mobile side, due to an issue with backlight button or I thought software problem, hoping it would fix the dang thing. after 1 more pro2 got here so I could start setting up winmo side, that is when I find the problem. Since it didnt fix the backlite, I didnt mess with winmo, and used genYdual boot, then never realized the problem.

When you hard reset, it disable the GPS down to 911 only. From then on (any android in here at PPCGeeks) android would crash on ANY APP that asked for GPS (this includes google now) SO you have to renable it in windows by going to:
I only know for WM6.5:
start menu/settings/all settings/personal/phone/goto the CDMA Services tab, find the 'location settings' in list, hit the get settings, set LOCATION ON.

once I did this, everything is working in all flavors so far (last download I have on here tho, was last week, (march 27-'11) )

Hope this helps another nubeee.. :oops: (im an ID10T sometimes.)

percolator 04-11-2011 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sting32 (Post 2079777)
In case this helps someone that has this problem listed above, it is because GPS is disabled in on the windows side!

A part that I left off in the question was, that I hard reset windows mobile side, due to an issue with backlight button or I thought software problem, hoping it would fix the dang thing. after 1 more pro2 got here so I could start setting up winmo side, that is when I find the problem. Since it didnt fix the backlite, I didnt mess with winmo, and used genYdual boot, then never realized the problem.

When you hard reset, it disable the GPS down to 911 only. From then on (any android in here at PPCGeeks) android would crash on ANY APP that asked for GPS (this includes google now) SO you have to renable it in windows by going to:
I only know for WM6.5:
start menu/settings/all settings/personal/phone/goto the CDMA Services tab, find the 'location settings' in list, hit the get settings, set LOCATION ON.

once I did this, everything is working in all flavors so far (last download I have on here tho, was last week, (march 27-'11) )

Hope this helps another nubeee.. :oops: (im an ID10T sometimes.)

good show lad!

n1nj4Lo 04-23-2011 11:39 PM

So wait let me get this straight... Sprint T7380 users with SIM Cards can now leave them in, and we have working Bluetooth and 3.5mm Headphone inputs too?

arrrghhh 04-24-2011 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n1nj4Lo (Post 2090014)
So wait let me get this straight... Sprint T7380 users with SIM Cards can now leave them in, and we have working Bluetooth and 3.5mm Headphone inputs too?

What!?! Who said anything about that? BT is a very complicated issue, which AFAIK is fixed on the kernel-side but still needs some userland magic.

3.5mm is purely kernel, code doesn't exist yet for RHOD. Patience.

sansoomom 04-28-2011 06:12 PM

Thanks, arrrghhh! After trying to install Froyo06 on my htc touch pro 2 with no success, I'd decided to use the GB and I'm glad to say, booted very nicely. :) However, my phone went into sleep mode and I can't get it out. I think it's called sleep of death? I'll try new updates that will fix this, but again, let me say... kudos for this GB download.

chroniX0 05-15-2011 10:38 AM

Some one help me, is Froyo or GB better, GB has android 2.3.3 and has a newer market, Whats great about Froyo?

manekineko 05-15-2011 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chroniX0 (Post 2101591)
Some one help me, is Froyo or GB better, GB has android 2.3.3 and has a newer market, Whats great about Froyo?

Froyo has working GPS, and GB loses data connection every time you make a phone call until you go into settings and toggle it. If you use the development stuff over on XDA, Froyo also has working CDMA tower location and Bluetooth.

GB is much faster and smoother.

arrrghhh 05-16-2011 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manekineko (Post 2101665)
Froyo has working GPS, and GB loses data connection every time you make a phone call until you go into settings and toggle it. If you use the development stuff over on XDA, Froyo also has working CDMA tower location and Bluetooth.

GB is much faster and smoother.

Indeed. To chroniX0 - try 'em both! See what you like best. Some prefer GB since it is quite a bit snappier. However, Froyo is *almost* feature-complete with a lot of the testing stuff that's been going around lately. Hopin to have a new build out of each soon :D.

bitslizer 05-16-2011 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arrrghhh (Post 2101888)
Indeed. To chroniX0 - try 'em both! See what you like best. Some prefer GB since it is quite a bit snappier. However, Froyo is *almost* feature-complete with a lot of the testing stuff that's been going around lately. Hopin to have a new build out of each soon :D.

wait... what...? development stuff on XDA have working bluetooth? (userland?)

arrrghhh 05-16-2011 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitslizer (Post 2101991)
wait... what...? development stuff on XDA have working bluetooth? (userland?)

Yup. Froyo-only ATM I think tho...

See this thread.

dj_tux 07-16-2011 02:57 AM

succes instal in CDMA mode :) , but when I inset my GSM card, show no service :(. also cannot showing any file in my microSD card... :(

arrrghhh 07-16-2011 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_tux (Post 2128605)
succes instal in CDMA mode :) , but when I inset my GSM card, show no service :(. also cannot showing any file in my microSD card... :(

Can't use this with a SIM card without the new RIL...

As for the lack of a card, full wipe (FAT32) with the HP Tool should fix it.