View Single Post
Old 01-07-2009, 08:27 PM
Anonymatt
PPCGeeks Regular

Anonymatt is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Pros/Cons of custome ROMS

I'm also new to all of this, and a bit hesitant to do the custom rom thing. I've read through many posts of some of the more popular custom ROMs, but I still have no idea what "benefit" they give other than people claiming that it makes their devices "snappier", but I haven't seen any concrete benchmarks, and although I see some room for improvement in speed for some things, the stock ROM doesn't really seem to be THAT slow. Unfortunately a lot of the custom ROMs seem to be people's personal preferences, but I guess without trying I'll have no idea which one I prefer.

Also, they all mention removing all of the "bloat", but for me on Sprint, I don't really know what "bloat" there is that would be slowing down the device much. I kinda like Sprint TV sometimes, and don't mind the Sprint Music Store "banner", and not really sure how those slow anything down when not actively being used.

I guess for me the ideal "ROM" would be one that didn't introduce new bugs, kept all the features of the Sprint stock ROM, while maximizing batterly life first, then performance, and then adding in any new "features" (though not really sure what is added that couldn't be added as a program).

I know this is a "n00b" type post, and will probably just get a lot of people saying to either just try out all the ROMs, to read all the posts, or whatnot, and I wish I had the time to actually do that, but I don't. And then of course there's the problem that any thread like this turns into a flame war of fanboys of their particular ROM and then the thread gets closed without any real helpful info. If anyone could actually answer some of those questions, and maybe point to specific differences (objective, not subjective) of the more popular ROMS, it would be appreciated, though.