Anonymatt
PPCGeeks Regular

Anonymatt is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: [Consolidated] Touch Pro Build Date

build date: 11/7/2008

issues:
*fast battery drain. Still not sure if this is "normal" compared to other people, or not, but even after hard resetting, just to rule out if I did anything wrong before, I am lucky to go 12 hours of minimal usage (maybe 5 minutes total on phone, and ~10 minutes of web surfing). Some of the fast battery drain could be attributed to most of my time being in "low" signal areas (1-3 bars, sometimes 0), but even when I am in areas with decent-good signal I still can only get ~12-14 hours of minimal use.

*heat while charging: this issue further complicates the above issue, since it is virtually impossible to keep my phone on 24/7 and actually use it. After about a half hour of phone or data usage (while charging) the unit will heat up too much and stop charging. Because of this I would only be able to get ~2 hours of phone or data usage before the battery dies, even while plugged in.

This is especially bad if I want to use GPS navigation, since if I go on a trip that is longer than 2 hours my phone will die (even while plugged in) before I get to my destination. I have only used the Sprint Navigator, though, which seems like it keeps a nearly continuous data connection (to download maps and/or check traffic?), so this might not be an issue if I were to use TomTom or any of the other GPS programs.

*screen responsiveness: this is probably "normal", but the outside edges are virtually impossible to touch unless I use a very hard press with the stylus or fingernail. Nowhere near as responsive as the rest of the screen.

*battery "creak": doesn't really bother me, but I suppose it does exist.

*uneven keyboard backlight: the #3 key is very bright, the #9 key is bright, and as you move further from those keys they get less bright. This doesn't really bother me, as they are still bright enough to read

*front facing keys/D-pad: there isn't any significant "raised" part, but they aren't the easiest to use, especially the "back" key and "right arrow" key, which there's about a 50% chance I'll push the wrong one when trying to use. I've sorta found the "sweet spot" for where to touch, but still have a significant error rate.

*peeling crome finish: I baby my electronics, so I was a bit surprised to see the crome chipping off the sides of my Touch Pro. I don't use an external cover, and just keep the phone in my pocket, but I haven't bumped it or dropped it, and still after 2 weeks of use the corners are now black. This kinda bugs me, but since it is just a cosmetic issue, and not functional, I could live with it

Otherwise the phone is really great, and honestly if I could just get it to the point where I could go a full day without having to worry about the battery dying, I would be very pleased. I'll probably just go get some more batteries to get me through a day, but I'm hoping perhaps my unit is defective and that if I exchange it I will get one that is better.