View Single Post
Old 10-25-2008, 10:39 PM
LoneSnark
PPCGeeks Regular

LoneSnark is keeping up the good workLoneSnark is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Touch Pro Reviews

I got the TP this morning and so far today I have mixed feelings. They added more than I could ever ask for when it comes to the upgrade from my mogul, <S>and then took away more than I could have feared.</S>

We needed more memory, but 288mb was overshoot, for WM6.1 we only needed 144mb or somewhere in-between (all that extra RAM is burning power as we speak).

I admit, a higher resolution was needed. But, while qvga was too low, vga is too high! Applications such as googlemaps, which are now required to fill four times more pixels, wind up studdering when trying to scroll. But at least this I understand, there really is nothing between qvga and vga; so this I don't mind too much, just rewrite googlemaps to pixel double or something and everyone will be happy.

But also important is what the designers took away.

<S>While the mogul had too many LEDs, the TP has none! No indicators whatsoever to notify you of a missed call, voicemail, or e-mail. Or so it seems since there are white LEDs around the Dpad, but they are not given as an option (so this might be fixable). </S>

While the mogul had too many buttons, more than anyone could have thought useful, the TP has no buttons to spare whatsoever. And the buttons it does have are often the wrong ones (though I hear they will be customizable by the right app).

Edit: I was too hasty with writing this review; I was wrong about the LEDs (while 'flash light indicator' is not given as an option, it does it anyway! (just had to wait for some mail to find out) As such, the LED situation is now a plus, not a negative. I did not like the touch flow interface, it was too dark and had too much overhead for what it did. As such, I have replaced it with SPB Mobile Shell and now I could not be happier! I preferred SPB Imageer on the mogul anyway. The quick and easy interface has rendered the hardware buttons on my mogul un-needed. As such, with the tweaking made possible by the TP's ocean of memory I have reclaimed all that was taken from the mogul.

As such, I would now urge anyone that was disuaded by my review to reconsider. I sure have.

Last edited by LoneSnark; 10-26-2008 at 02:20 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.