View Single Post
Old 10-12-2008, 08:10 AM
ptfdmedic

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Wink Re: Help w/ upgrading Vogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohebbo View Post
Sorry all but I'm a little new. I've been reading throuh the stickies and doing a lot of searches all day long and can't seem to find any instructions or links to upgrade my vogue aka XV6900.

So far it seems like the steps are (please correct me if I'm wrong with any of the below"...

1.Unlock the phone (seems like the imthecokeman unlocker is the best)
2.Upgrade the radio (not sure what is the best on this one)
3.Find a Rom you would like to use (seems like everyone thinks the omj is the best for gps, evdo rev.a, stability, and other features)

My problem is I can't seem to find links to these items and when I do find some it seems like they are all from 1-2 years ago making me think they are out of date. Sorry to be a newbie but I just can't find it after searching for hours.

I need help with the following if anyone has the time...

1. What are the steps?
2. Can I get a link to the best unlocker and directions on how to install it?
EDIT: It looks like I've found Unlockers for Custom Roms on Vogue 2.31(GPS) and 0.40(nonGPS) from imcokeman. If I plan on upgrading to a rom that I want to use gps on do i use 2.31; or is that for phones that already use gps?
3. Can I get a link to the best radio and directions on how to install it?
4. Can i get a link to the best rom and directions on how to install it?
5. Through my searches I've heard of imacokeman unlocker. Is this the best?
6. Through my searches I've heard of omj rom. Is this the best?

I do not mind donating at all to people that help me and the developers that made the programs.

Thank you in advance to all for taking the time to read and help.

First of all, welcome and we all do this to our phones at our own risk.

1. The 2.31 unlocker is the only one you can use with a GPS radio.
2. While all the chefs here are really good at cooking roms most of the roms you see here were cooked in the ppckitchen. http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=37577
3. Follow the above link and you will find instructions on how to download it and cook your own roms. You can also choose any chefs rom you like just follow their instructions.
4. You have not told us what carrier you have but I believe it is Verizion. That can make a difference. Once you unlock your phone you can flash any carrier or custom rom.
5. Here is a link to HTC's site. http://www.htc.com/us/support.aspx (it appears they pulled the Verizion upgrade down) Click on your carrier and locate the newest rom and download it. Install the newest GPS rom (this will upgrade the radio also)and then unlock your phone. You only need to have your phone unlocked in order to flash custom roms. Be sure to let the customizations run through. AND MAKE SURE YOU CHOOSE THE CORRECT CARRIER.
6. You will need the newest ActiveSync for Windows XP or the WMDC for Windows VIsta in order to flash your phone.
7. Please feel free PM me if I can help any more.

EDIT: You will need to unlock your phone first. Once your phone is unlocked then you can flash the newest sprint rom or Alltell rom. Altell is the newest. DO NOT LET CUSTOMIZATIONS RUN. That MEANS ONCE YOUR HAVE GONE THROUGH THE SET UP AND A MESSEGE APPEARS ON THE SCREEN THAT "CUSTOMIZATIONS WILL BEGIN IN 3 SECONDS" YOU NEED TO REST YOUR PHONE BEFORE THAT BEGINS. AS SOON AS YOU SEE THAT BOX POKE THE RESET BUTTON WITH THE STYLUS. Once you have completed reseting your phone it is now using the newest GPS radio. Choose a custom rom or build your onw using the PPCKitchen. If I left anything out, someone please correct me. Also correct me if I am wrong but I believe the verizion touch already has a GPS radio installed. I am with Sprint and I just installed the new altell radio and GPS works fine.

Last edited by ptfdmedic; 10-12-2008 at 08:29 AM.