View Single Post
Old 03-30-2008, 01:51 AM
no2chem
Retired Staff
Threadstarter

no2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: No2Chem nueROM 2.0 (WM6.1) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Kirvin View Post
Perhaps I can shed some light on this. While I understand that 6.1 handles memory management differently and more efficiently than previous version of Windows Mobile, 15MB isn't enough to start with for some people. While it should be enough to run average applications, some games demand almost that much just for themselves. And this is not counting how much of that 15MB might already be consumed by drivers, Today screen plugins, system extensions like Spb Mobile Shell or Pocket Plus and various caches.

It's not hard to see how a cooked ROM based on 5059 with third party system extensions might have less than 10MB available for actually running programs. With that little available, it would be impossible to run, say, IE, WMP and the camera at the same time, as you might see for mobloggers who listen to music while out and about.

While I'm sure we all appreciate the speed increases in the recent No2Chem ROMs, I'm not sure some of us wouldn't trade a little of that speed for more available memory.
um... ~22mb base
add a few startup programs, you're at about 16mbs...

what could you possibly run that would take 16mb???
the extra 2mb wm6 might afford you won't do much, maybe bring you up to 18mb with poorer memory management and much slower speed. the point being...

the titan has 64mb ram
about 12 mb is reserved for the device (bluetooth, shared video framebuffer, etc)
leaving about 52mb for the os...
assuming the os takes a good 26mb of ram, which wm6.1 does...
that leaves with a 4 mb pagepool, about 22mb left to work with....

now, you can do fancy stuff like take out components of the os.. such as, ahem.. bluetooth... or the RADIO, and you will have a bit more ram. but, for 1~2mb ram i'd rather keep my bluetooth.

if you're having constant memory problems, you either need to: (1) find a program that doesn't hog so much memory (2) not run so many programs (3) buy a new device

and thats all i have to say about memory. if you find some way to magically add 64mb to the device memory, please let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin9825 View Post
so any real reason to know why when u use the bulid os u only have like 15mb free but if u flash the 5059 rom u have like 22mb free?
obviously the more stuff you add, the less memory you will have free