View Single Post
Old 09-25-2011, 12:05 PM
DaveTN
Unlimited is um, limited
Threadstarter

DaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Looks Like My TP2/SPRINT Days are Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by gera229 View Post
Hey DaveTN
I heard that sprint will be expiring there current plans very soon(making them grandfathered) and changing their plan selection lineup to more newer and more updated plans. Maybe they will come up with the plan of the century? I sure hope they do so i can upgrade...
Thanks for the info. Thats pretty much waht happened with the plan I have now but they are doing everything they can to make it useless.

I started out on a family plan about 6 years ago that was 1000 shared + unlimited text + the "unlimited datapack addon at an additional 25.00 per month + N/W@ 9pm. Total cost for 4 phones including taxes was right at $100.00/ month with my 23% corporate discount through my employer which was pretty good. About two years ago a CSR told me that my plan was being eliminated and and I would have to "upgrade" but she assured me that nothing would change. Well, there were some tradeoffs. it dropped to the "family share talk 700, so I lost 300 minutes but N/W dropped to 7pm which was a plus. They added in the datapack at NO charge which was a big plus but dropped the discount on the add in phones so with taxes and all, it worked out to be $22.00 more than I was paying. So "nothing would change" was a bit of a stretch.

A couple months after that I decided to upgrade from the TP1 that I bought on ebay to the TP2 that had just come out since I knew it had been a couple years and I was due for my $150.00 upgrade discount. Well, guess what?!? They had reset the counter on my upgrade and it was going to be almost two years before I could get the 150.00 discount!!! I was pissed so I called retentions and they reset it but only by one year so I was only able to get 75.00 off the TP2. However, I was able to sell my TP1 and another phone I had to a still current PPC geeker and make up the difference. Of course, the counter reset again.
THen, all this crap started with my TP2 and during all this I get a notification that I was "upgraded to Sprint Premier Gold" but they had picked my Wifes Rumor II as the one that was eligible. LOL. My TP2 still has 130 days left. Even if I upgrade, my plan which costs me 122.00/month is going to go up to 180.00/month.

My guess is that whatever Sprint does, its still going to cost more. It would make perfect sense for them to create a plan - shared or individual - for people who do not need unlimited data like me. They can still be a leader and ofer the best value in unlimited data plans, but at the same time, offer an "al a carte" plan for less. Heck, they do it with Virgin mobile at 35.00 month for 300 talk and unlimited data. (the only thing holding me back from that is that VM is not compatible with my Airave and I get NO reception in my house.)

I'd be interested to see what happens if they do offer some other plans. ANd, this may be blasphemy, but I would bet that it would be at the expense of SERO and EPRP. From what I understand, they are really nervous about the network hit that would come (IF they) with the iPhone. IMHO, there SHOULD be a more expensive plan for that data hog.

Anyway, the good news is that my daughter is on a corporate Verizon plan that costs her $39.00/month per phone with unlimited text/voice/data. Both she and her husband have iPhones and use them quite a bit. All I have to do is find a decent VZW phone and she can add me, my wife and her brother on at the same cost. NOt a bad deal.

Once TP2 #7 gets here, if it still has problems, I'll switch to VZW and et my contract run out with sprint or at least until the ETF's aren't so painful.

David