View Single Post
Old 01-25-2011, 07:45 PM
lkillen
VIP Member

lkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Metro pcs launched 4g in miami!!

If you are north of tens years old, I recommend you use some punctuation in your posts. If you are younger, have your mom write your posts.

Beyond that, Metro has a phone on LTE. LTE (Long Term Evolution) is entering the game late and their towers are sparely populated.

WiMax is an IEEE standard. 802.16e I believe. I was in on the groundwork with that when I was with Galaxy Eng. under American tower. We were exploring Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiple Access in 2001. At low power it does not penetrate structures very well but it does bounce between buildings and through tunnels and through windows. It was originally developed to send signals through tunnels and large cities with tall skyscrapers where traditional TDMA/CDMA was having such a bad time.

Sprint started placing Wimax towers in Baltimore and has agressively been placing beams on towers across the land.

The race will be to the quickest. Sprint is taken a beaten on 4G but the race is still early because of Cisco's deep pockets. 802.16m is already being rolled out which will blow LTE out of the sky.

There is a tendency of users to proclaim the bandwidth is greener on the other side of the fence but I have yet to run across an LTE customer that was satisfied. A month ago, I stopped inside a MetroPCS store and heard the saleman tell a potential customer about the wonderful LTE to come. When the customer asked about what LTE was available now, he was told "it will come soon".

My 4G is very stable at work which is in Atlanta. It is a little spotting where I live which is in a small town but since I am always on WiFi when I get home, I seldom notice if it is improving. Understanding the underlying technology, I am banking my money on Wimax until I learn otherwise.

And if you get tired, I suggest you take a little nap.

Last edited by lkillen; 01-25-2011 at 07:52 PM.