View Single Post
Old 09-01-2010, 09:15 AM
DaveTN
Unlimited is um, limited

DaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: |RHODCMDA|.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.- Energy -.¸¸.·´¯ * |Aug 28| 21914|23127 * Sense 2018

OK, heres my take on installing multiple battery tweaks (and, its just my opinion so take it for what its worth).

Battery tweaks are good but, they present a compromise between functionality and time of use. Yes, you can turn off almost every service and eye candy and lots of other things to get more than a days use but then (IMHO) that defeats the whole purpose of going with a custom ROM.

I have found that the biggest draw on the battery is the radio. When I'm in good coverage areas, I get great - better than a day and a half - battery life. If I'm at work - a heavilly sheilded environment - I'm lucky if I get 12 hours. Although I quit my job 2 days ago to go to grad school.....

My "tweaks" are: Setting my backlight to 50 - 60%. Setting weather updates to every 3 hours, and using the bluetooth and wifi toggles to turn them off when not needed. Location Service, while I really like using it is a battery hog.

Any apps that run that use data are going to continue to try to get a data connection even when one isn't available and that will drain the battery quickly so I try to either stop data whenI can or when I know I'm going to be in a fringe area.

Different Cores also make a difference. The pre 8/25 23xx builds were great on battery life, giving me more than 24 hours regularly, but the most recent ones give a bit less.

To me, installing new tweaks and cabs is a PITA every time I flash. And, like Agent said, some of them "break" things like bluetooth.
Maybe if there was one all-inclusive cab I might be more inclined to do it but right now, changing just a couple settings is quick, easy and reliable for me.

Just some random pre-cup of coffee thoughts.

David
This post has been thanked 6 times.