View Single Post
Old 05-11-2010, 10:55 PM
killher
N00b

killher is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Need advice and opinions on plan

So the company I work for announced they are cutting cell phone service for employees (even though we go on call once a month!). I've been on this same Sprint number for 11 years now via my job. I've never had a cell phone service plan of my own before since my job had always provided it.

At the same time, I recently got married. She also on a Sprint plan that is her brother's family plan as detailed here:

Code:
Shared Plan   
  Power Pack Family - 1000 Shared Minutes Included $50.00 
  $7.50 Access Discount -$6.52 

(210) 555-1212   
  Sprint Data Plus Pack $7.50 
  $7.50 Access Discount -$0.98 
  America Roaming Included $0.00 
  Unlimited Nights&Weekends-7pm $0.00 

(210) 555-1212   
  Power Pack Family - 1000 Shared Minutes Included $0.00 
  300 Messages with Picture Mail - Messaging Plan $5.00 
  Sprint Data Plus Pack $0.00 
  Mobile to Mobile Minutes - Unlimited Mobile To Mobile Min $0.00 

(210) 555-1212  
  Power Pack Family - 1000 Shared Minutes Included $9.99 
  Sprint Data Plus Pack $0.00 

Sprint Surcharges  $8.17  
Government Fees & Taxes  $6.93  

Total Due     $80.09
(I negotiated that plan, btw. How'd I do? )

My current phone is a TP2 which was purchased by me recently, but used on the company's plan so it's not tied to me personally other than I paid for it. I'm leaning towards wanting an Android phone, though. My wife is on an old Touch (vogue) and is due an upgrade. I'm trying to talk her into a Hero or other Android phone. I'm very technical, but she is not. I want something powerful, fast, and hackable, she wants something small and easily usable with multiple email accounts/calendars.

So, my question is now what should I do in regards to a plan and/or phone upgrades? Should I stick with Sprint? I could join her brother's existing family plan. Or I could start my own family plan with my wife, using the 11 year history with them as leverage for a good deal.

Of course I've never been on a carrier other than Sprint and while I have no complaints, I really don't know if I'm missing something good on Tmobile, Verizon, or AT&T. I could also use that 11 year Sprint history towards getting a good deal with one of them as well, no?

Any suggestions on phones along with carrier/plan recommendations is more than welcome as well.

Any advice or opinions is more than welcome. I'm researching on the net for myself as well, but I value the opinions of fellow PPCGeeks.