View Single Post
Old 05-04-2010, 03:07 PM
dishe
Halfway to VIP Status

dishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Worth the wait? Will it one day be "complete enough"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00_MACKIE_00 View Post
for me, the Moment smokes a TP2 and has a complete working Android on it and a slide out keyboard.
Funny, most people I know who tried the moment had buyers remorse, and wished for either a) an HTC Hero or b) a Touch Pro 2.

Weird, huh?

But I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with most of you guys here... As someone already mentioned, the Vogue has a complete port working 100%. Bluetooth, A2DP, Camera, GPS, you name it. In fact, many people are flashing WM off their phones bringing Android into internal NAND memory. And all this happened AFTER the Vogue was considered obsolete.

When the Touch Pro and Diamond came out, Android on the Vogue was still a "proof of concept", much like ours is now. Fun to play with, not really ready for prime time. The Touch Pro 2 came out, and the EOL for the vogue came and went- but still there are dedicated developers tweaking and fixing Android on the 2-generation-old phone.
Why? Because some people actually like the design of the Vogue (it IS one of the smallest and most pocketable devices ever made), and because gosh darn it, some people don't buy a new phone just because the next best thing came out!

My point is that right now there are a lot of great Android handsets, but they all have pros and cons. There are still some things that the Rhodium is ahead with in comparison.
The keyboard is second to none (Moment's keyboard has space bar between letters on bottom row? no thank you- The Droid's is cramped and pushed over for a D-pad, found it very hard to type on... most other new android devices don't even have a KB at all, which is a deal breaker for me), the volume and speakerphone system is excellent (better than most smartphones I've ever seen), and the ability to dual mode GSM and CDMA as a world phone is still rather rare. Then there is the cute "wow" factor of the tilting screen (only sometimes useful, but nice to have). As much as many of the upcoming Android phones would be a step up in some directions, they would also be a step down in others.

In fact, I think the biggest gripe most people have with the Rhodium is the WM operating system installed on it. I've heard some folks claim that they wish there was an Android phone that came in a Touch Pro 2 body type. Well, we've proven that is possible. Maybe one day there will be an official phone released like that, but until then I see no reason for Android development on Rhodium to slow down.

Perhaps some of the early adopters who only owned the TP2 because it was the "latest and greatest" on their carrier lineup at the time will leave when the newer Android devices come out. However (and this is just an observation I made, I'm not saying this is always the case), the real hard core talented hackers/developers are NOT the types who jump at the next new fad device. They carefully buy a device, and then keep it around until it has no useful life before retiring it for something else. The Vogue would never have gotten where it is now if this were not true.

So, between the so-far-unmatched pros of the TP2 design, the packrat legacy mentality of talented developers, and the bevy of SERO users who won't give in without a fight, I think this project will go on for quite a while. Just my .02
This post has been thanked 12 times.