View Single Post
Old 04-30-2010, 03:11 PM
bdurst08
Halfway to VIP Status

bdurst08 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbdurst08 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbdurst08 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbdurst08 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbdurst08 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: ║MightyROM.com║ ║Windows Phone®║ ║Sense UI 2.5║

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatboy29m View Post
Anybody else volume mysteriously turning down to silent on its own?
You are not by chance running a custom TB are you? They have been known effect volume. I would also check you app/mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTN View Post
My understanding of the airave that it in essence acts somewhat like a VOIP phone and uses your broadband connection to send and recieve that phone signal. While it is programed to "know" your location for E-911, that location is not used in determining the local weather. The actual "my location" weather data is the location that is broadcast from a physical cell tower.
Also, for some of the people that are getting wonky locations when they are connected to the airave, I think that has to do with where the call ends up getting transferred from the airave system to an actual cell tower system. It may for some reason pick up that location info and tag it to your weather.

David
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmediaguy View Post
Common misconception is that the HTC/Google My Location service works from the hardware GPS chip, but actually it determines your location based on the cell tower you are connected to. You know when you start Google Maps, for example, and it can almost immediately say "Your location within 1,000 meters" (or some number)? That's based on your cell tower, and that's the location data that is passed to the weather service for lookup. If WiFi is turned on, and if location data can be determined from your WiFi access point, it will override the cell-tower location data. (These methods are used, rather than true hardware GPS, to avoid having to run the GPS chip only to update location data, and also based on the presumption that it takes too long to get a GPS lock indoors, especially in multi-story buildings.)

What this means is that the location service will think you are in a radically different location if you are on an Airave. It doesn't have anything to do with which connection (1X or EVDO) is used to pull the weather data; it's simply based on the fact that the Airave "becomes" your cell tower -- and since the Airave isn't a true cell tower with a known location, the lookup defaults to wherever the Airave service's Internet point of presence is located. Similarly, if you are on WiFi your location might be very accurate or very inaccurate, depending on what kind of broadband you have and how your ISP maps its subnets.

Hope that helps.
Thanks guys!! it makes sense. For me it was not a major issue. I did not feel that t was a MR issue, but i was not sure why this was happening.