View Single Post
Old 03-17-2010, 06:40 PM
dishe
Halfway to VIP Status

dishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Android/Linux for CDMA Touch Pro 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eschelon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00_MACKIE_00 View Post
I dunno if I got a dud or not but I bought my wife a Samsung Moment, the thing goes into airplane mode by itself and even though its fast as hell, it just dont feel right after using WM for many many years, feels more like a LG phone or a Razr. As an OS, M$ is by far superior. I know we all bitch and moan about WM but after playing around with a real Android phone and not just an SD card setup, I am not convinced yet Android will be the way of the future. I am not ready yet to part ways with WM. Just my 2 cents.
Well it's certainly not as hackable (android, i mean).

I've never seen an iphone or another android phone with the ability to dual-boot a second OS like we are doing right now on a Windows-based OS. So you gotta hand it to WinMo; it's easily the most versatile OS on the planet

But hacking isn't for everybody. In fact, those of us in this forum are an "elite few" who even know how to tweak in the first place. Most everyone else doesn't like to deal with doing what we call a hobby (tweaking our devices)

That's why the iphone and android are so popular: you get all the flash of a smartphone, but all the "tweaking" is done for you. Most people like that, others (like us who flash custom ROMs cuz we hate that aspect) don't.

WinMo's problem is that it's ancient and has a lot of dead weight it's carrying around. That's why guys like MightyMike are so excited for WP7. It's going to purge out all the old crap that lingers with WinMo and, therefore, make it comparable to the iphone and android phones that have lots of bling and new features
Mackie, I hear you on some of that. There are things that WM does better, for sure. Sadly, the core things (like just navigating the OS, and how the notifications/desktop work) on Android are way ahead in terms of efficiency and workflow, not to mention looks. So its a trade off- smooth operating OS, or versatile but clunky. I've gone with Versatile and clunky until now because there are certain features I can't be without, and wouldn't trade them for anything. However, Android is quickly picking up steam lately, and new applications will reach a point in which they are no longer being developed for WinMo, but only for Android from here on out (I found several very cool applications in the Google Market that I've been waiting for someone to create for WM... new app developers aren't looking at WinMo the way they used to).

As for the Moment- I don't know, I've never used one. I've heard people actually say they don't like it, but they were mostly people lusting after the iPhone, so I don't know if they are to be considered a trustworthy opinion. Point is, it may not be a good example. Meanwhile, I've got Myn's warm Donut Android running on my HTC Vogue, and it has pretty much convinced me that I might be wasting my time defending Windows for much longer (Vogue port is flawless, btw- sound, GPS, A2DP bluetooth- all 100% working. Anyone who wants to see what Android on a WinMo device is capable of should check it out!).

Yes, there are still things that WinMo does better...for now. So I'll be switching back to my TP2 and running 6.5 again... for now. But I've had this Vogue running Android for the last week or so, and I'm having a hard time giving it up, despite the smaller screen and slower CPU (not to mention lack of keyboard).

As for the future, Eschelon, I don't see WinPhone 7 being the future. The new UI is compelling, but not for people like me. The new model is very closed, and discourages innovation in favor of an Apple-esque walled garden approach (They announced today that 7 Series WON'T EVEN SUPPORT CUT AND PASTE?!). Will it do well? If they don't botch up the launch, I can see 7 in theory converting quite a few of the iPhone-demographic (who make up a majority of the market), people who want simplified phones that "just work". So yeah, it will do well... but it is NOT the future of the mobile desktop experience. The mobile desktop began with Pocket PC, and died with the 7 announcement, as far as power users are concerned. Anyone who wants the power of a desktop has to look at other options moving forward, and Android seems to be the most powerful train on the right track.

As long as we're sharing our 2 cents on the matter. I really would recommend that we take this into its own thread, however!
This post has been thanked 1 times.