View Single Post
Old 12-12-2009, 01:19 PM
murducky
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

murducky is halfway to VIP status based on repmurducky is halfway to VIP status based on repmurducky is halfway to VIP status based on repmurducky is halfway to VIP status based on repmurducky is halfway to VIP status based on repmurducky is halfway to VIP status based on repmurducky is halfway to VIP status based on repmurducky is halfway to VIP status based on repmurducky is halfway to VIP status based on repmurducky is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: [Guide] Murducky's Guide to Auto User Customization

Post 2 - Contacts/Calender Backup methods

This section will guide you through how to sync your contact & calender through various ways.

Pim Backup Method
If you do not use Outlook, Google, or Groupwise, the simplest way to back up both your contacts and calender events is to copy the pim.vol from the root directory of your phone to your storage card. After a flash, simply copy the backed up pim.vol from your sd card back to the root directory of the device (overwrite the current pim.vol).

Important Note: this has to been done manually as you can not push the pim.vol using sashimi as sashimi does not copy back files back to the root directory of the phone.

Google Sync Method
Google Sync allows you to setup a Microsoft exchange sync to Google as if its an exchange server. You can push other contacts and calenders from other systems to your Google account and then have your phone sync to Google.

First off you should have a gmail account. If you do not you can get one at http://mail.google.com.

Setup the Google Sync

Link to Google's instructions - http://www.google.com/support/mobile...36&topic=14299

Important Note: Make sure that you have backed up any Contacts and Calendars from your phone to your computer before proceeding. Just use the PIM method above.

Important Note: There is a bug when you sync your contacts using Google Sync, they will be displayed lastname first, instead of first name first. Google is aware of this and should be fixing it soon. Till then there is an application Contact_changer_v1.3.cab that will fix it for you. The other down side is every time you sync it will change it back.

This is how I use Google sync after a flash.
[coming soon]

[Insert Video SOON]
Setup Google Sync on Device

1. Open the Active Sync application on your device's home screen.
2. Click Set up your device to sync with it.
3. Enter in your gmail email username@gmail.com
4. Enter m.google.com as the server address.
5. Ensure that the SSL option is selected.

Sign In to Your Google Account

6. Click Next.
7. Enter your full Google Account email address as the User name.
8. Enter your Google Account password as the Password.
9. Leave the Domain field empty. If your device requires you to enter a domain name, enter google.
10. Click Next.
11. Check Contacts, Calendar, or Email, depending on which you'd like to sync. (Tasks is not supported and will lead to an error if checked.)
12. Click Finish.
13. Press the Sync softkey on the left to synchronize.

Pictures
Code:
Step 1

Step 4

Step 7

Step 11

Step 13

Windows Mobile/ActiveSync/Outlook Sync Method

PCs running Windows Vista

If your PC is running Windows Vista, your synchronization settings will be managed through the Windows Mobile Device Center.
PCs running Windows XP or earlier

If your PC is running Windows XP, or earlier, your synchronization settings will be managed through Microsoft ActiveSync.

Synchronize your data with WMDC

Synchronizing lets you transfer e-mail, contacts, appointments, tasks, Web favorites, and media files from your computer to your device or from your device to your computer. You must accept an update to Windows Mobile Device Center (WMDC) on your computer before you can use WMDC to synchronize your device with your computer or with a Microsoft Exchange Server.

Step 1
Plug your device into your computer by using the USB cable or cradle.
The Windows Mobile Device Center Home screen appears on your computer.
Step 2
On your computer, click Set up your device.
Step 3
Select the check box next to each information type you want to synchronize, and then click Next.
Step 4
To synchronize with an Exchange Server, enter server information provided by a network administrator, and then click Next. Otherwise, click Skip.
Step 5
Enter the Device name and then clear the check box if you do not want a shortcut for WMDC created on your desktop.
Step 6
Click Set up. WMDC synchronizes the selected information types.

Microsoft MyPhone Method

Download and install the My Phone software

On your desktop or laptop computer, go to http://myphone.microsoft.com and sign in to the service. You need a Windows Live ID to sign in. This sign-in information is the same user name and password you use if you use Windows Live Messenger. If you don't have a Windows Live ID, you can quickly set one up.

After you sign in to the My Phone service, pick up your Windows phone and open Internet Explorer Mobile. Go to http://mobile.microsoft.com/myphone/en-us. When the web page loads on your phone, you'll see an option to download and install the My Phone software. Select the link, and download the software.

When the software is downloaded (it should only take 60 seconds, at most), it automatically starts the installation. If you have a storage card in your smartphone, the software will ask where you want to install the software—to the device or to the card. Install it to the device. If you don't have a storage card, it won't ask this question; it will just install the app.

After the installation is completed, an icon for Microsoft My Phone appears in your list of programs. Select it, and open the software. A handful of screens explain how the service works: One is a license agreement that you have to accept to use the service, and the final step is to enter your Windows Live ID information.

When you've completed these steps, you should see a message that says the software is signing in and configuring the service.

Configure My Phone
Next, you’ll configure the My Phone software on your phone. Fortunately, the one-step process is easy: You just choose automatic or manual synchronization. If you have an unlimited data plan on your smartphone, you should select Automatic. If you have a limited data plan but still want to use My Phone, select Manual, and run it when you want to. Select Next after you've chosen automatic or manual.If you have your smartphone connected to a Microsoft Exchange server, My Phone does not back up your contacts, calendar, and tasks because these items are already backed up in your Exchange account. You'll see a message like the one below, and My Phone will back up the other data items on your phone. If you don't have an Exchange server account, My Phone backs up your calendar, contacts, tasks, and everything else (text messages, photos, and other files).

At the end of the process, select Finish, and the synchronization starts. Depending on the amount of data that your phone has to synchronize, this process can take from minutes to hours. You may want to connect your smartphone to power during this process if it has a lot of data to be uploaded to the My Phone service and if the battery isn’t fully charged.

After the initial synchronization, you'll rarely have to open the software on your smartphone again. The exception is if you want to sync the contents of your storage card—to do that, look under Menu > Options. If you wish, you can also change when the scheduled automatic sync occurs (Menu > Schedule). By default, it will sync daily, but you can change it to run weekly or manually.

Your final step is to go back to your desktop or laptop PC, browse to http://myphone.microsoft.com, and confirm that all of your data is there. Assuming that the synchronization is completed on the phone, it should be. And that's it, you're done!

Groupwise Sync Method

[Coming Soon]
Attached Files
File Type: cab Contact_changer_v1.3.cab (184.9 KB, 42 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by murducky; 02-05-2010 at 04:42 PM.
This post has been thanked 12 times.