View Single Post
Old 09-19-2009, 06:29 PM
nitrous9200
Regular 'Geeker

nitrous9200 is keeping up the good worknitrous9200 is keeping up the good worknitrous9200 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Samsung App Store

Don't forget, Verizon also has their own "appstore" of sorts and they've been running the Get it Now service for at least 5 years now (other cellphone carriers have also had similar services). I believe the iPhone App Store succeeded because they only had two product lines to focus on and it is so tightly integrated both on the device itself and on the PC. I don't like how it's the only legitimate choice for more applications but no one will deny that the ecosystem works well and is easy to use. None of the other phone platforms have had such a tight integration with a desktop app, which in the case of iTunes, is the central gateway for everything you can do to the phone.
Samsung's app store is just another way to differentiate themselves in the app store market, but I don't think Verizon would have allowed it anyway just as they are planning to pre-install their own service and are blocking the other stores (like the forthcoming Windows Marketplace).
As long as we get something good, I don't really care how long it takes as I've got more than enough of a selection to tide me over, even if it isn't in one centralized location the way I'd like.