View Single Post
Old 07-01-2009, 04:07 PM
Da_G
VIP Member

Da_G is a VIPDa_G is a VIPDa_G is a VIPDa_G is a VIPDa_G is a VIPDa_G is a VIPDa_G is a VIPDa_G is a VIPDa_G is a VIPDa_G is a VIPDa_G is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: WM 6.5 Kitchen QVGA and VGA Developer Edition

Sorry krazy, I did read it but did not get a chance to reply,

I think, to take advantage of these new features, you will need a Native Kernel (nk.exe) compiled against WM 6.1 / 6.5 -

With the ones I have posted over at XDA, at one point or another there was a test ROM developed for these devices. Because the code was compiled against the right version, it incorporated those new features.

It may be possible with some clever IDA hacking to make an older nk.exe operate in the new memory model, but this is beyond my skill. The unfortunate part about nk.exe is that it combines device-specific initialization code with the kernel, when these could be seperated - in future CE OS versions I believe it is set up this way (so we won't face these problems in the future where a new kernel brings new features that an old kernel won't access properly)

My eyes are always open for new things (like native kernels for more devices) and rest assured as soon as I get my grubby hands on them, so will you

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy_about_technology View Post
I posted this sometime before, but i think its gone unnoticed, so i am posting again.

Oh my god, Thanks a lot Da_G for this great explaination, it was very interesting. But can you tell me, If i want my WM 6.1 ROM to fully utilize the changes in 6.1 VM Mapping, what changes i need to do in the XIP/other areas of ROM? As you might know, the HTC P3400i (Gene) phone comes with a WM 6 ROM. I ported the xip to WM 6.1 21051 build. In that process i removed the file encfilt.dll and replaced it with mencflt.dll, added initvmmap.exe to it, and added the following registry settings to boot.rgu :

After relocating files in the xip, my ROM is running fine. Is this enough for my ROM to use the WM 6.1 VM model, or do i need to check anything else, like something in the the .VM folder?

Also, is it possible for us, chefs, to build a WM 6.5 VM model aware nk.exe for our devices, coz over there at the XDAForums, some guys did it for Hermes, Polaris etc which, in my knowledge were not destined to receive 6.5 updates/native kernel. How can we do it for our devices?