PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2009, 10:00 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint SERO

muyoso is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmuyoso is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmuyoso is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmuyoso is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Waze: Way to Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiqnezz View Post
So is this app built just for getting real time traffic from users or is it also a turn by turn navigation app with voice? Or at least have the map always the direction you're going facing north?

Two main things missing from Bing app (formerly Livesearch). And yeah, Bing app is still the best free GPS navigation app.
From what I understand of the app, it doesn't even have a basemap before 2 or more users drive down the road and "map" it for them. It will eventually give real time traffic if literally hundreds of thousands of people are running this while driving across the US. It is a good concept, but I don't think they will be able to get the user base to make this feasible or functional. If Google Maps tried this, MAYBE it would work due to how many phones it can function on.

IDK, certainly interesting.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:09 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: Sprint

quiqnezz is keeping up the good workquiqnezz is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by muyoso View Post
From what I understand of the app, it doesn't even have a basemap before 2 or more users drive down the road and "map" it for them. It will eventually give real time traffic if literally hundreds of thousands of people are running this while driving across the US. It is a good concept, but I don't think they will be able to get the user base to make this feasible or functional. If Google Maps tried this, MAYBE it would work due to how many phones it can function on.

IDK, certainly interesting.
Hmm, I thought they got their maps from google itself? Well I installed it yesterday afternoon as I was leaving work just to try it out. I was already on the highway when I put in my home address but it found it. It did take me through a slightly longer route right before my house but it still would've got me there.

I tried however looking up my work address this morning before leaving home and it could not find it, there's a feature there to report an address not found which I did.

Yesterday when I tried it I did like how it gave me my speed, option to switch from my position on the map, to showing my direction and have it always facing north. As I made a turn it would automatically flip the screen to have the direction I was heading face north on the screen. EXACTLY WHAT I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR!

It also has an autozoom feature which I thought was pretty nice. While I was on the highway it showed a zoomed out view of my route and where I was on the map, but as I got closer to my exit, it automatically zoomed in on the map so I could see the turn real well on it. You can also switch between 2D and 3D view as well as night and day view although that can also be set to change automatically.

I REALLY like the navigation part of the app and some of the other cool little features. The only thing missing to make it perfect would be to add voice. Now why can't Gmaps or Windows Bing app have some of the simple features that this app has?? If Bing had turn by turn, automatic north facing map and voice that'd be it!

I'm gonna continue to use it to see if the routing is really reliable. If not, then it's back to Bing for now. I really like the concept of this app

EDIT: After reading the wiki it seems as though it DOES have voice, you just have to turn it on in general settings. Will be tryin that after work today. Although it also states it's not really a Navigation app and to really only use it navigating to places your already know the way to. Guess cuz it's so alpha it's not yet really trustworhty to take you to unknown locations.

Last edited by quiqnezz; 09-17-2009 at 12:49 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:14 PM
Give him the KICK!!!
Pocket PC: HTC EVO w/TP as a Back Up
Carrier: sprint

dschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributions

just tried this today. pretty nice for being an alpha/beta. not sure whats normal or not, but i got 2000 points driving today anybody know if thats high, low, or average? just curious.
dschoenike

Old 09-21-2009, 07:55 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

Yibrushn is keeping up the good workYibrushn is keeping up the good workYibrushn is keeping up the good work

new update today with voice added. I haven't tried it yet but I will on my drive home. dschoenike, I've gotten around 2000 points but I did a lot of driving on streets. You only get points for driving on streets no one else has driven yet. So if you drive the same route you'll only get the points one more time I believe.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:30 PM
Give him the KICK!!!

dschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yibrushn View Post
new update today with voice added. I haven't tried it yet but I will on my drive home. dschoenike, I've gotten around 2000 points but I did a lot of driving on streets. You only get points for driving on streets no one else has driven yet. So if you drive the same route you'll only get the points one more time I believe.
Thank you for the info. Any chance you could post the updated cab? Im really liking this app. Im finding lots of new ways to work now
dschoenike
Old 09-22-2009, 09:53 AM
Regular 'Geeker

quiqnezz is keeping up the good workquiqnezz is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Will have to try that out. It's still unreliable for navigation to unknown places so don't try using it as such. It tried to make me get off an exit that didn't exist off the highway cuz it saw it as a cross street instead of an overpass.

Still needs work but has potential. I REALLY like the interface and features though.

I also tested out the new Amaze version and seems as though it's running alot better now too. Still looks a bit rough though but it does have voice and I think the directions are much more reliable.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:04 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

Yibrushn is keeping up the good workYibrushn is keeping up the good workYibrushn is keeping up the good work

The latest waze version is on m.waze.com but here is the cab as well.
Attached Files
File Type: cab waze.cab (4.69 MB, 24 views) Click for barcode!
Old 09-22-2009, 02:58 PM
Give him the KICK!!!

Quote:
The latest waze version is on m.waze.com but here is the cab as well.
Thank you for posting. Very addicting app 12000 pts so far. Driving is my job, so this is perfect Thank you again.
dschoenike
Old 09-23-2009, 11:03 AM
I love root

dannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIP

Waze just went official today with support for the Tilt/Mogul/tyTNII, Fuze/Touch Pro, Touch Pro 2, Touch Diamond, and the Omnia i900.

I'm downloading to mhy TP2 right now.

Edit:

It seems to run pretty well. Seems stable. Finger friendly. Lots of features. Twitter integration is...cool, I guess.
I think it's definitely worth a look.
Lesson learned don't work on PPC while drinking.

Last edited by dannzeman; 09-23-2009 at 11:47 AM. Reason: added screenshots
Old 09-24-2009, 03:34 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EPIC

Unknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschoenike View Post
Thank you for posting. Very addicting app 12000 pts so far. Driving is my job, so this is perfect Thank you again.
dschoenike
Yea....it is pretty much "PacMan" if you really look at it but in real life with points and all...lol, to bad they dont have a "Pacman" Icon for the GPS symbol, must be a trademark thing.

Driving is also moreless my job...now it will be fun just like playing a game.

WAKA,WAKA,WAKA
Don't just say "Thanks"....give

Last edited by Unknown Zone; 09-24-2009 at 03:42 AM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software