PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2008, 10:09 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

auto_exec is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Lookup City based on Caller ID

Hey all,

Let me start by saying that I'm not much of a developer (I deal with old school RPG on as/400s, and have dabbled with VB before, but that doesn't really count)... What I did here was to use some of the source code from this thread:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=424923
Original developer is Sveinung Bakken, his app is called CallerUtility.

As I was saying... since I'm not very familiar with WM6 dev and/or the various languages, I used the source code he posted that reacts on incoming calls/SMS and outgoing calls... I then removed all code related to doing the online database lookups (since Sprint won't let us do that during a call -- can't do voice and data simultaneously) and instead coded the app to parse out the area code of the incoming/outgoing communication and do a lookup in our registry (key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\HTC\PHONE\AreaCode).

To summarize: When you make or receive a call (or receive an SMS) from a caller that's not in your contacts, the app will look up the area code and display the state the call is coming from/going to on your screen. Here's a screenshot of how it looks when you have an unknown incoming call:

Please test this out and let me know if it works ok (all my tests so far have been successful)... I'm always open to comments/complaints/etc, so feel free to give any feedback.

Thanks!!

(FYI - This app installs to directory \Program Files\AreaCodeUtility\ and adds shortcuts to \Windows\Start Menu\Programs\ and to \Windows\Startup\)

Edit: Looks like this may require WM6 and .NET 3.5... not 100% sure yet. Would like WM5 users to test, one reports good results.

Update : it seems some people may not have the registry key with the area code -> state cross reference.... I've attached to this post so that you can import if you want.
Attached Files
File Type: cab AreaCodeUtilityInstaller.CAB (812.2 KB, 227 views) Click for barcode!
File Type: zip AreaCodereg.zip (2.5 KB, 141 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by auto_exec; 12-29-2008 at 08:14 PM. Reason: added screenshot
This post has been thanked 4 times.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:22 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc evo
Carrier: sprint

nobrakes is just getting started
Re: Lookup City based on Caller ID

i got an unexpeceted error.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:36 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobrakes View Post
i got an unexpeceted error.
Sorry, do you have .NET Framework 3.5 installed? I think it's required... Found this link from a post by BigDiesel07 on where you can get it: http://misc.baf.cc/NETCFv35.wm.armv4i.cab
Old 12-28-2008, 10:48 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc evo
Carrier: sprint

nobrakes is just getting started

i installed net 3.5 and it still didn't work. I'm on a Sprint touch
Old 12-28-2008, 10:51 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobrakes View Post
i installed net 3.5 and it still didn't work. I'm on a Sprint touch
Hmm.. are you running WM6? Sorry, I'm not great on what the requirements might be as I'm not really familiar with the various .dll files and system calls used, etc... I installed on a Sprint Touch Pro running WM6 and .NET 3.5.

Can you also check to make sure that your phone has the registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\HTC\PHONE\AreaCode

Not sure if that's a Sprint-only thing, or what. As more people test, I can update the post with full requirements.... anybody's input is welcome.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:41 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul & Touch Pro

payback is a n00b

Im running 5.0 and it works just fine. THANKS.....Now this really outweighs the instinct
Old 12-28-2008, 11:48 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by payback View Post
Im running 5.0 and it works just fine. THANKS.....Now this really outweighs the instinct
Thanks for the feedback, let me know if you run into any issues, or have any suggestions on code changes, etc. I'm not an awesome developer, but I can probably get some stuff to work.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:37 PM
Super Saiyan 3
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D

freeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to freeza Send a message via MSN to freeza Send a message via Yahoo to freeza Send a message via Skype™ to freeza

What about for numbers in your contact list?
Old 12-29-2008, 02:22 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO3D
Carrier: Sprint 4g Dallas

dallas contractor is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardallas contractor is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardallas contractor is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardallas contractor is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

If you search this has been in several other post
Old 12-29-2008, 03:54 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Mogul HTC 8600

3boos is keeping up the good work3boos is keeping up the good work
Send a message via MSN to 3boos Send a message via Yahoo to 3boos

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto_exec View Post
Hey all,

Let me start by saying that I'm not much of a developer (I deal with old school RPG on as/400s, and have dabbled with VB before, but that doesn't really count)... What I did here was to use some of the source code from this thread:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=424923
Original developer is Sveinung Bakken, his app is called CallerUtility.

As I was saying... since I'm not very familiar with WM6 dev and/or the various languages, I used the source code he posted that reacts on incoming calls/SMS and outgoing calls... I then removed all code related to doing the online database lookups (since Sprint won't let us do that during a call -- can't do voice and data simultaneously) and instead coded the app to parse out the area code of the incoming/outgoing communication and do a lookup in our registry (key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\HTC\PHONE\AreaCode).

To summarize: When you make or receive a call (or receive an SMS) from a caller that's not in your contacts, the app will look up the area code and display the state the call is coming from/going to on your screen.

Please test this out and let me know if it works ok (all my tests so far have been successful)... I'm always open to comments/complaints/etc, so feel free to give any feedback.

Thanks!!

(FYI - This app installs to directory \Program Files\AreaCodeUtility\ and adds shortcuts to \Windows\Start Menu\Programs\ and to \Windows\Startup\)

Edit: Looks like this may require WM6 and .NET 3.5... not 100% sure yet. Would like WM5 users to test, one reports good results.
Quote:
Originally Posted by auto_exec View Post
Sorry, do you have .NET Framework 3.5 installed? I think it's required... Found this link from a post by BigDiesel07 on where you can get it: http://misc.baf.cc/NETCFv35.wm.armv4i.cab

Worked for me, I am running WM 6.1 and it in deed do need the .NET to work, thanks.

But any way to fix the original cab, and pull the info online, this way we can have the city too? JUST a suggestion.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software