PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2010, 10:30 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Intrepid
Carrier: Sprint

Tmair is just getting started
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Which GPS program do you use???

Ok I made a thread about the ZorroGPS program and received verry little input which kind of surprised me, it seams to be a good program with a way good price, anyway that brought up this question.
I have Garmin on my Samsung Intrepid, I really like Garmin but in there lack of wisdom they abandoned us, I have been looking for an updated GPS program that has it's own maps and POIs since I travel out of phone coverage areas a lot, so: What GPS programs do you use and why do you like them?
Just for the record I have: Garmin as mentioned, Bing, GoogleMaps, and am trying ZorroGPS, also would like information on programs that wont break the bank.
Thanks
Terry
Old 08-21-2010, 07:58 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: touch pro 2
Carrier: us cellular

jnuts5423 knows their stuffjnuts5423 knows their stuffjnuts5423 knows their stuffjnuts5423 knows their stuffjnuts5423 knows their stuffjnuts5423 knows their stuffjnuts5423 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Re: Which GPS program do you use???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmair View Post
Ok I made a thread about the ZorroGPS program and received verry little input which kind of surprised me, it seams to be a good program with a way good price, anyway that brought up this question.
I have Garmin on my Samsung Intrepid, I really like Garmin but in there lack of wisdom they abandoned us, I have been looking for an updated GPS program that has it's own maps and POIs since I travel out of phone coverage areas a lot, so: What GPS programs do you use and why do you like them?
Just for the record I have: Garmin as mentioned, Bing, GoogleMaps, and am trying ZorroGPS, also would like information on programs that wont break the bank.
Thanks
Terry
I personally run iGO8. Its fantastic. tells me how fast im going, direction, can set speed traps, and best of all, it gives me a 3d image in major cities. would never spend money on apps. to many ways to get this stuff free. Heres a video of it in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h15LPPGUl8M
Old 08-21-2010, 09:02 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG V10, iPhone 6 and Nokia ICON
Carrier: Verizon

DavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to DavidinCT Send a message via MSN to DavidinCT

I personally use TomTom 7, it was about $100 when I got it a while ago (with all of the US maps). I picked it up when I had my titan/Xv6800 but, now that I got a Touch Pro 2, I'm having issues with lag...

I love Tomtom but, the problems on my TP2 would tell you to stay away from it, unless you can find a true fix for it...

http://mc.anywherecool.com/Blog/
If I helped in anyway, please hit thanks !
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:41 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnuts5423 View Post
I personally run iGO8. Its fantastic. tells me how fast im going, direction, can set speed traps, and best of all, it gives me a 3d image in major cities. would never spend money on apps. to many ways to get this stuff free. Heres a video of it in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h15LPPGUl8M
How up to date are the maps with this program?
Thanks
Terry
Old 08-22-2010, 12:28 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: touch pro 2
Carrier: us cellular

jnuts5423 knows their stuffjnuts5423 knows their stuffjnuts5423 knows their stuffjnuts5423 knows their stuffjnuts5423 knows their stuffjnuts5423 knows their stuffjnuts5423 knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmair View Post
How up to date are the maps with this program?
Thanks
Terry
up to date for me, Ive never ran into an issue.the maps are simple to put in. Went out of state a few months ago. just downloaded the ohio map, and was on my way. The lag in gps on tomtom and garmin has been noted. iGO takes less lag, and memory in my opinion. oh, and it was free, lol.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:46 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG V10, iPhone 6 and Nokia ICON
Carrier: Verizon

DavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to DavidinCT Send a message via MSN to DavidinCT

Is igo8 free ? How much space and how much is it if it's not free ?
Old 08-22-2010, 11:23 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Telus

keystone is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnuts5423 View Post
I personally run iGO8 ... would never spend money on apps. to many ways to get this stuff free.
jnuts, such is piracy. Why do some have no qualms upon blurting out the stupendously obvious? Ain't this to be a respectable community forum that desires to retain a moral high ground?

There are many decent freeware and paid apps (iGo, Tomtom, Garmin, CoPilot, etc) out there.

Personally I stick with Garmin with its topo and city navigator maps for on pavement and back county roads in North America while using Tomtom in Europe. Igo8 does offer wonderful customisations but it is slow to load up and requires a disproportionate amount of RAM to run. How much eye-candy does one require for simple route finding?

Except for quick look-ups with Google Maps or Bing, I shun the over-the-air mapping programs due to connectivity issues when travelling in and in between cities.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:32 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by keystone View Post
jnuts, such is piracy. Why do some have no qualms upon blurting out the stupendously obvious? Ain't this to be a respectable community forum that desires to retain a moral high ground?

There are many decent freeware and paid apps (iGo, Tomtom, Garmin, CoPilot, etc) out there.

Personally I stick with Garmin with its topo and city navigator maps for on pavement and back county roads in North America while using Tomtom in Europe. Igo8 does offer wonderful customisations but it is slow to load up and requires a disproportionate amount of RAM to run. How much eye-candy does one require for simple route finding?

Except for quick look-ups with Google Maps or Bing, I shun the over-the-air mapping programs due to connectivity issues when travelling in and in between cities.
Garmin will not upgrade any of their mobile XT software, and from what I have read TomTom has stopped selling their 7 to the US market, some are speculating that this is because of some agreement with Apple and the iPhone app, I would like to try CoPilot, I have emaild them but have not herd back from them on a trial period, I would realy like to try it, I have read that their maps are not as up to date as Navteq maps, I would hate to spend the money only to find out I have exactly what I have with Garmin, the problem with Garmin and their outdated maps is that there have been a lot of hiway changes here in the last few years and none of those are in there, another problem with not being able to try first is, I tried Destinator, it could not find my GPS, this is the only program so far that can't find it, then I tried ZorroGPS, I realy like that program, most up to date maps that I have found, problem is once I use it to navigate it will not load again, I have to completly uninstall it, and then reinstall it to get it to work again, they are very responcive with their customer service, they tell me this is the first they have herd of this happening, anyway I would hate to buy any program and find out this was the case.
So I guess I will keep looking.
Thanks
Terry

Last edited by Tmair; 08-23-2010 at 12:34 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:23 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Diamond

wog13 is becoming a great contributor

Another nomination for igo8. The default theme's a bit lame, but it's easy enough to customize. Maps from the same source as garmin, but much better routing, in my comparisons. Looks gorgeous, routes well, and more advanced features than I'd ever use. I haven't tried tomtom, but garmin xt is complete shit compared to standalone garmin units.

I have a cheap wince-based pna in my car I use instead of my phone, but the software's the same.

Honestly, the gps app I use most is just google maps, for checking traffic or a quick search.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:29 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond
Carrier: AT&T

tzour is a n00b

A detailed review for ZorroGPS (V5.2 Sep09 release) has just been posted: GpsPasSion Forums - [GPS for Trial] ZorroGPS for WinCE available!. Some favorable functions in Iguidance (I used it for 4 years until v4.0.2), Garmin mobile XT, and TomTom can be found in this release.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software