PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Hacks/Tweaks

Notices



Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-06-2009, 11:37 AM
boggsie's Avatar
b00nsquad
Offline
Pocket PC: Touch PRO 2
Carrier: Sprint SERO
Location: Central Ohio
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,359
Reputation: 2295
boggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Skip First Boot Wizard ... KITCHEN REQUIRED

As the subject states, a kitchen is required as these settings do not make sense as part of User Configuration or Sashimi scripts ... you don't get to those items until after you have gone through the first-boot wizard.

After flash or hard-reset, one of the most irritating things is to find your phone sitting there waiting for the click to continue screen. You know the one; it wants to calibrate your stylus, set your timezone and other seemingly useless items.

Well, if you are cooking from a kitchen, there is no reason for you to wade through this madness each and every time you flash a rom. Here are the registry settings that you need to look for:

#1 User Prompt

This registry setting indicates which prompt the user should see, when the phone boots for the first time.

Set this key and value and you won't see any welcome wizard questions!

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Welcome]
"Disable"=dword:FFFFFFFF

baniaczek over at XDA posted a thorough explanation of these codes, way back in 2006.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=967930

Oh, but you say that you need to calibrate your stylus ...

I beg to differ; once you calibrate a stylus on your device, you really only to seed that information into the registry so that it is used with future ROMs.

Set these values and you won't need to calibrate your stylus in the future. Obviously you'll want to calibrate your stylus and then take the values from the key noted below and replace the ones I use.

The TouchPanel and TFLOSettings keys and data will set the device on the most sensitive setting, which is what I use.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\TOUCH]
"CalibrationData"="504,501 841,834 837,156 171,159 171,844"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ControlPanel\Stylus]
"Group"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\TouchPanel]
"PressureThreshold"=dword:00009FA2

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\OEM\TFLOSettings]
"FingerPressure"=dword:0000EA60

... but don't I need to set my time zone information?

These settings set you up for Eastern time, with the option for Daylight Savings enabled. It also sets up the device to synchronize time with your carrier. These items, for the most part, came right out of ppckithen's oemizer.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Clock
"GMT_OFFSET"=dword:00000168
"AppInfo"=hex:01,00,00,00,80,01,00,00,14,00,00,00, 00,00,00,00,01,00,00,00,3A,01,00,\
00,69,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,01,00,00,00
"AppState"=hex:11
"TZIndex"=dword:00000004
"HomeDST"=dword:00000001
;GMT -5 EST

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Time]
"TimeZoneInformation"=hex:2C,01,00,00,45,00,61,00, 73,00,74,00,65,00,72,00,6E,00,20,00,53,00,74,\
00,61,00,6E,00,64,00,61,00,72,00,64,00,20,00,54,00 ,69,00,6D,00,65,00,00,00,\
00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00 ,00,00,00,00,00,0B,00,00,\
00,01,00,02,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,45,00 ,61,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,\
72,00,6E,00,20,00,44,00,61,00,79,00,6C,00,69,00,67 ,00,68,00,74,00,20,00,54,\
00,69,00,6D,00,65,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00 ,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,\
00,00,00,00,00,00,03,00,00,00,02,00,02,00,00,00,00 ,00,00,00,C4,FF,FF,FF

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\BuiltIn\RIL]
"NITZEnable"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\CONTROLPANEL\PHONEEXTENDFUNCTION \CDMA]
"SyncSystemTime"=dword:00000001

The only real caveat is with provxml that is baked into the ROM. Various provxml files will run at first boot or every time the phone starts. If the provxml in your kitchen contains a value for any of these keys, the registry key that you inclued in an oem, will most likely get purged in favor of what is in the provxml file.

If this is the case, you have one of two choices ... alter the existing provxml or add the above values as provxml of your own, making sure that the provxml file you provide is inluded very late in the boot process. Because executing provxml will delay the boot of the phone, I encourage you to make the entries as rgu's and remove the provxml values from the kitchen.

Best regards,
-boggsie
__________________
Mine has theft deterrent!
HOPE
This post has been thanked 4 times.
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-07-2009, 03:05 AM
rstoyguy's Avatar
SuperNoob
Offline
Pocket PC: iPhone 5s
Carrier: TMobile
Location: Wichita, KS
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,309
Reputation: 23264
rstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Skip First Boot Wizard ... KITCHEN REQUIRED

Dang, your letting out all the chef "secrets" I won't be able to find work in this town.... Lol...

Great information, and thanks for sharing this little tidbit! I personally prefer to build off stock builds, so in most roms that I have seen, the above registry edit is usually contained in the file:
..\kitchen\OEM\OperatorPKG\mxipupdate_oemoperators _101.provxml

(i saw it once in mxipupdate_oemoperators_102.provxml once...)

look inside this file for:
Code:
   <!-- Disable E-mail setup -->
    <characteristic type="HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Welcome"  translation="filesystem" >
     <parm name="Disable" datatype="integer" value="144" />
    </characteristic>
and delete it or comment it out like so...
Code:
   <!-- Disable E-mail setup 
    <characteristic type="HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Welcome"  translation="filesystem" >
     <parm name="Disable" datatype="integer" value="144" />
    </characteristic>
-->
Note how I simply moved the "-->" for those not familiar with xml. If you are not, ask boggsie...he's the xml guy!
__________________
If this post was helpfull, let me know by clicking Thanks!

This post has been thanked 1 times.
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-15-2009, 12:42 AM
aceracer24's Avatar
VIP Member
Offline
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro, Palm Pre
Carrier: Sprint
Location: US, Utah
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,568
Reputation: 1100
aceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Skip First Boot Wizard ... KITCHEN REQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggsie View Post

If this is the case, you have one of two choices ... alter the existing provxml or add the above values as provxml of your own, making sure that the provxml file you provide is inluded very late in the boot process.
I was just asking mighty about this very thing. Some of my regedits were getting overridden. It would seem that my provxml isn't being used late enough in the boot process. How can I make sure that mine is getting checked last? Will putting the regedits in the .rgu override the provxml's? Right now my regedits are in an OEM folder marked tweaks. Calcu's kitchen has a tweaks folder already there. some of his settings are overriding mine and I can't figure out a way around this other than editing his provxml but I don't want to do this every time the kitchen updates.
__________________
"Why do people who make more money have to be so stupid?"
"If you can't figure out something simple like how to use Google to search, don't even try flashing your phone!"

  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01-15-2009, 12:24 PM
boggsie's Avatar
b00nsquad
Offline
Pocket PC: Touch PRO 2
Carrier: Sprint SERO
Threadstarter
Location: Central Ohio
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,359
Reputation: 2295
boggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Skip First Boot Wizard ... KITCHEN REQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceracer24 View Post
I was just asking mighty about this very thing. Some of my regedits were getting overridden. It would seem that my provxml isn't being used late enough in the boot process. How can I make sure that mine is getting checked last? Will putting the regedits in the .rgu override the provxml's? Right now my regedits are in an OEM folder marked tweaks. Calcu's kitchen has a tweaks folder already there. some of his settings are overriding mine and I can't figure out a way around this other than editing his provxml but I don't want to do this every time the kitchen updates.
Excellent question. The best way to get around this is to include all of your registry settings, etc. into a cab that you install immediately after your first boot. BUT, if you are trying to skip first boot, that method is useless.

PPCKitchen handles this by creating the USER_OEM folder and these items are added after everything else. One of the advantages of using PPCKitchen. With other versions of BuildOS, you've got to experiment with naming convention of the oem folder and the provxml or rgu file to determine how to get your custom items to load after everything else in the kitchen.

Best regards,
-boggsie
This post has been thanked 1 times.
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 01-15-2009, 01:36 PM
aceracer24's Avatar
VIP Member
Offline
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro, Palm Pre
Carrier: Sprint
Location: US, Utah
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,568
Reputation: 1100
aceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Skip First Boot Wizard ... KITCHEN REQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggsie View Post
With other versions of BuildOS, you've got to experiment with naming convention of the oem folder and the provxml or rgu file to determine how to get your custom items to load after everything else in the kitchen.

Best regards,
-boggsie
Thanks Boggsie for answering, I know this is slightly off topic.

Is it correct to say that the way BuildOS runs through the files (you see at the bottom of BuildOS window) as it compiles is the same order that everything will get applied? The reason I ask is partially based on your above answer but also because I assumed this to be the case intitially so I make sure that my OEM folder was worded so that it was last and I also made sure that my provmxl would fall after the other tweak file by name. However, I was still left with some of my tweaks not being applied because they had been overriden.
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 01-15-2009, 04:02 PM
boggsie's Avatar
b00nsquad
Offline
Pocket PC: Touch PRO 2
Carrier: Sprint SERO
Threadstarter
Location: Central Ohio
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,359
Reputation: 2295
boggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Skip First Boot Wizard ... KITCHEN REQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceracer24 View Post
Thanks Boggsie for answering, I know this is slightly off topic.

Is it correct to say that the way BuildOS runs through the files (you see at the bottom of BuildOS window) as it compiles is the same order that everything will get applied? The reason I ask is partially based on your above answer but also because I assumed this to be the case intitially so I make sure that my OEM folder was worded so that it was last and I also made sure that my provmxl would fall after the other tweak file by name. However, I was still left with some of my tweaks not being applied because they had been overriden.
Sort of ...

The provxml always gets applied AFTER rgu. In fact, the rgu is constructed as BuildOS compiles the ROM. However, ALL provxml is applied after flash as part of the boot process, phone startup, etc. ... conditional.

So, if you have an RGU that you absolutely know is getting added last in the process and it still isn't sticking, then there is a provxml entry overwriting the rgu.

Best regards,
-boggsie
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 01-15-2009, 04:30 PM
aceracer24's Avatar
VIP Member
Offline
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro, Palm Pre
Carrier: Sprint
Location: US, Utah
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,568
Reputation: 1100
aceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Skip First Boot Wizard ... KITCHEN REQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggsie View Post
Sort of ...

The provxml always gets applied AFTER rgu. In fact, the rgu is constructed as BuildOS compiles the ROM. However, ALL provxml is applied after flash as part of the boot process, phone startup, etc. ... conditional.

So, if you have an RGU that you absolutely know is getting added last in the process and it still isn't sticking, then there is a provxml entry overwriting the rgu.

Best regards,
-boggsie

All of my regedits that are getting overridden are .provxml. So I am trying to find out is how the process determins what .provxml gets added where and when because the tweaks I am trying to change are also in a provxml. My provxml is getting overridden though by the other .provxml.
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 01-15-2009, 05:35 PM
boggsie's Avatar
b00nsquad
Offline
Pocket PC: Touch PRO 2
Carrier: Sprint SERO
Threadstarter
Location: Central Ohio
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,359
Reputation: 2295
boggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Skip First Boot Wizard ... KITCHEN REQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceracer24 View Post
All of my regedits that are getting overridden are .provxml. So I am trying to find out is how the process determins what .provxml gets added where and when because the tweaks I am trying to change are also in a provxml. My provxml is getting overridden though by the other .provxml.
try ...

mxipupdate_zzzzz_acetweaks_100.provxml

I'd offer detail on the how's and when's of the provxml application process, but I honestly don't know ... rstoyguy has done some work in this area and he would be a good source for further information.

There is also a thread that is specific to provxml files, which points to the msdn site ... the msdn site might give further details on the how's and why's but I would suggest the aforementioned file name and if it doesn't work ... research further.

Best regards,
-boggsie
This post has been thanked 1 times.
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 01-15-2009, 05:43 PM
InvincibleLiving's Avatar
Post Master General
Offline
Pocket PC: White Evo: Myn's TPT RLS5, Stock Kernel
Carrier: The "NOW" Network
Location: Leesburg, VA
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,464
Reputation: 4222
InvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Skip First Boot Wizard ... KITCHEN REQUIRED

oh my goodness! i love you guys... might not get around to using the info anytime soon but the info is priceless in this case!!
__________________
Creator of iLife ROM Series

Best... Member... Ever...
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 01-16-2009, 12:42 AM
aceracer24's Avatar
VIP Member
Offline
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro, Palm Pre
Carrier: Sprint
Location: US, Utah
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,568
Reputation: 1100
aceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Skip First Boot Wizard ... KITCHEN REQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggsie View Post
try ...

mxipupdate_zzzzz_acetweaks_100.provxml

I'd offer detail on the how's and when's of the provxml application process, but I honestly don't know ... rstoyguy has done some work in this area and he would be a good source for further information.

There is also a thread that is specific to provxml files, which points to the msdn site ... the msdn site might give further details on the how's and why's but I would suggest the aforementioned file name and if it doesn't work ... research further.

Best regards,
-boggsie
No go...calcu's tweak provxml is still executing after mine...or something/someones is because some of my tweaks work and some don't. So...I just made them into a .xml and added them to the carrier OEM to execute during customization. It works /shrug. Thanks anyway for the help, I don't want to keep this off topic.
Closed Thread

  PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Hacks/Tweaks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
©2012 - PPCGeeks.com