PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Hacks/Tweaks

Notices



Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-17-2007, 06:52 PM
solarsoccer10's Avatar
Lurker
Offline
Pocket PC: touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 11
Reputation: 0
solarsoccer10 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
phone as wifi router

when you make your phone a hotspot, with that wifi router program, does sprint still charge you for internet sharing
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-20-2007, 06:23 AM
prodigy215's Avatar
PPCGeeks Regular
Offline
Pocket PC: EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 79
Reputation: 5
prodigy215 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarsoccer10 View Post
when you make your phone a hotspot, with that wifi router program, does sprint still charge you for internet sharing
Great question. I wonder whats the answer to this? In my eyes you shouldn't be able to get charge since its wifi, but i'm not 100% sure if Sprint is slick enough to charge for that when they shouldn't? It would be great if someone give a reply!
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12-20-2007, 04:03 PM
bedoig's Avatar
VIP Member
Offline
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Carrier: Sprint
Location: Houston, TX
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,106
Reputation: 1096
bedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
If you have an unlimited data plan, and you are connecting through your normal Sprint PCS account (not "Phone as Modem") you shouldn't be charged. I'm new to sprint myself, so I can't say if you will be charged if you use the Phone as Modem connection. I thought I read that you shouldn't be able to dial in using the PAM account unless you actually sign up (and pay) for that, but I can connect via PAM on my phone and I don't have that option on my account. I am under a SERO plan though so I don't know if that makes a difference. Maybe someone else can clear this up a little more.

Bottom line though, if you make sure you connect through the "Sprint PCS" connection you shouldn't be charged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodigy215 View Post
Great question. I wonder whats the answer to this? In my eyes you shouldn't be able to get charge since its wifi, but i'm not 100% sure if Sprint is slick enough to charge for that when they shouldn't? It would be great if someone give a reply!
I think he is asking about sharing his phone's Internet connection via WiFi, not just using a WiFi hotspot to access data on his phone. You will not be charged for accessing the internet through WiFi on your phone. If you don't have a data plan you do need to watch out for other things that would connect to Sprint's data service though. Weather programs, Instant Messengers, etc. will typically default to using the Sprint connection, not WiFi.

Last edited by bedoig; 12-20-2007 at 04:09 PM.
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12-20-2007, 05:50 PM
prodigy215's Avatar
PPCGeeks Regular
Offline
Pocket PC: EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 79
Reputation: 5
prodigy215 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedoig View Post
If you have an unlimited data plan, and you are connecting through your normal Sprint PCS account (not "Phone as Modem") you shouldn't be charged. I'm new to sprint myself, so I can't say if you will be charged if you use the Phone as Modem connection. I thought I read that you shouldn't be able to dial in using the PAM account unless you actually sign up (and pay) for that, but I can connect via PAM on my phone and I don't have that option on my account. I am under a SERO plan though so I don't know if that makes a difference. Maybe someone else can clear this up a little more.

Bottom line though, if you make sure you connect through the "Sprint PCS" connection you shouldn't be charged.



I think he is asking about sharing his phone's Internet connection via WiFi, not just using a WiFi hotspot to access data on his phone. You will not be charged for accessing the internet through WiFi on your phone. If you don't have a data plan you do need to watch out for other things that would connect to Sprint's data service though. Weather programs, Instant Messengers, etc. will typically default to using the Sprint connection, not WiFi.
Wow, great reply. I had a feeling weather programs is not WiFi. Thanks a lot for the reply!
Closed Thread

  PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Hacks/Tweaks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
©2012 - PPCGeeks.com