PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Hacks/Tweaks
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2006, 08:50 PM
Moderator/WMExperts Staff
Pocket PC: Pure, TP2, Snap, Ozone, Intrepid,Treo Pro
Carrier: Sprint

Malatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Increase "Maximum number of concurrent connections"

I'm trying this out now, seems like it works quite well. Play with the different values. I'm using 20 and 15 respectively on my Treo 700wx.

You'll usually need to create these DWORD keys as they are probably not in the registry already (so don't post saying you don' t have these reg entries!)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of the most common and effective tweaks for web browsers on the desktop is also possible for IE on WM5. Stored in the registry are two keys which tell Internet Explorer how many connections it should make to a server when downloading a web page. They define the "Maximum number of concurrent connections" and they're just itching for a tune-up.

Details after the jump...

By changing the following key:

HKCU/Software/Microsoft/Internet Explorer/Main/MaxRequestThreads = 5

to a value higher than the default (5) will enable greater bandwidth saturation during page download and a noticable improvement in page load time. I took a guess and raised the MaxThreads to 10 and have had no problems (thus far).

[Update] Also, you will want to add the dword value:

HKCU/Software/Microsoft/Internet Explorer/Main/MaxConnectionsPerServer

and set it to the same value as you choose for MaxRequestThreads.

But, obviously, nothing is free in life. Here's the hitch: threads use memory. No matter what value you raise the the MaxThreads to, you're going to be using some amount more memory than you were before. It's a tradeoff. So don't go crazy and set that value to 200 and complain when starting IE causes your phone to burst into flames. (I hereby renounce any liability resulting from injuries that may occur to phone or owner during this tweak

It would be useful for someone to quantify the speed and memory usage at various values, so that an optimal value can be found. But I guess that's a personal preference where you want to be in the memory-speed tradeoff.

And on an unrelated note, the following key:

HKCU/Software/Microsoft/Internet Explorer/Main/FavoritesEntries

contains all the read-only IE favorites that came with your phone. I was finally able to delete that pesky Cingular bookmark by changing ReadOnly to 0 in the bookmark's subkey.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:22 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

fantastic_mr_q is a n00b
Send a message via MSN to fantastic_mr_q Send a message via Yahoo to fantastic_mr_q
I've just set this up on my TyTN, Ill let ya know how it pans out. If it works, good find!
Old 11-26-2006, 11:03 AM
The Voice of Reason
Pocket PC: PPC 6700/Touch Diamond/Touch Pro

Big D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
A little tutorial on how to create the DWORD keys using total commander would be helpful. Thanks for any help you can give me.
“It is from numberless diverse acts of courage and belief that human history is shaped. Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope.”

Robert Kennedy

Ha y'all come visit me at WMExperts some time.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:49 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

fantastic_mr_q is a n00b
Send a message via MSN to fantastic_mr_q Send a message via Yahoo to fantastic_mr_q
Sorry I use Resco, Im 3 days into my reg hack and Im finding it works real well on my TyTN. Noticably quicker, in 2g too!
Old 11-28-2006, 07:03 AM
Founder & Owner
Pocket PC: iPhone XS Max

Wideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to Wideawake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D5
A little tutorial on how to create the DWORD keys using total commander would be helpful. Thanks for any help you can give me.
thats a good ? I cant find away myself, but resco u can or u could use phm regedit (free).

@mala Im gonna give this a try and see what she does....just ran across this post lol to much going on around here
~mike

Old 11-28-2006, 12:25 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Motorola Photon & Bravo
Carrier: Sprint & AT&T PAYG

budney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via Yahoo to budney
Yea, nice little tweak. Pages do load a bit quicker.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...1249020923.gif http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...1249020658.gif
Old 11-28-2006, 12:27 PM
Moderator/WMExperts Staff
Pocket PC: Pure, TP2, Snap, Ozone, Intrepid,Treo Pro
Threadstarter

Malatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Yeah I think you need PHM or Resco (I use Resco) to do this. In Resco you just use the "Create new:" and select DWORD. Couldn't be easier.

FYI, the default max connections for the system evidently is 4, so going up to 25 (where I have set now) is a nice increase.

I've read of other people going to 125 (!) with no side-effects (lime depleted memory) OTOH, I'm not sure what it gets you either.

But in combo with the DNS trick, this really makes for some zippy browsing.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:32 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: PPC6800

scott_o is a n00b
When browsing the registry with Total Commander, you create a new key where ever you are by clicking on the +Add Value+ key that is in every directory.

Just looked this up, so I thought I would share the info.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:39 PM
Founder & Owner
Pocket PC: iPhone XS Max

Wideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to Wideawake
haha I use resco now but thanks for sharing for those that are using TC.
~mike
Old 12-02-2006, 02:13 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

xclusiv_1 is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to xclusiv_1
anyway we can get a cab file to do this?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Hacks/Tweaks