PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Development

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2009, 07:02 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc touch (telus)

draderman is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
video streaming from pc to ppc?

hi all. i own a htc touch but i just recently added a high speed wireless evdo internet service to my plan. i wanted to access my home pc from the ppc, so after doing a little research, i discovered the rdm client for wm6. i installed it and spent some time testing out the functionality. i was surprised to discover that i could access avi videos stored on my pc and play them. i dont believe i was getting full 32bit colors, as the video did look extremely low quality, and there was also no sound. still- its cool, just not good enough.

it got me thinking tho: how neat would it be, for example..

say your a lost fan. you religiously watch the show every wednesday, however this wednesday, you wont be home. no problem you say, because you can access your home pc from your ppc, download the episode, and play it on the pc at home, all the while streaming your desktop to your mobile. sounds far superior to downloading a 350mb avi to your ppc directly, because at evdo speeds i guesstimate the download would never finish anywhere as fast as it would on my home pc.

the point:

i see alot of different remote desktop applications out there (logmein etc.) but these seem to be geared more toward the remote assistance troubleshooting technicians. does anyone know of a way, or program, free or licensed, that would allow me to view my home pc desktop remotely, and be capable of streaming video AND have that vid be of decent quality? can anybody tell me how they stream video to there ppc, how it looks, and from where?

thanks everyone! youre super!

draderman
Old 02-10-2009, 07:20 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: Sprint

Darkflame808 is keeping up the good workDarkflame808 is keeping up the good work
Re: video streaming from pc to ppc?

I believe orb will do what you ask.

Do a search for orb on here it should point you to the right direction.

www.orb.com is the site I believe I am not sure I have never used it (well I did but that was like 5 years ago)

Basically you set up your pc to record the movie you want and put the file in a folder of movies/videos etc and then orb will let you browse that file from your ppc, select your video and orb will reencode it on the fly to a format that is suitable for your pocket pc and stream that video to you.

I think orb will also test your bandwith to determine the best quality setting you can get for your stream.

So if you are on a slow connection it will compress it more etc.

I am not sure if it supports live tv tuner capability but if you feel the need to be able to watch things live and turn your ppc into a television then check out slingbox/slingplayer combination.

Slingbox turns your home into a remote converter box that you can access from your phone. Watch tv, change channels, check guide etc.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:27 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint

funbobnopants is keeping up the good workfunbobnopants is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to funbobnopants

You can also just install skyfire and stream from hulu.com, nbc.com, don't know about abc. Skyfire works great on my vogue, you just have to double click 3 times to get to full screen, but streams nice.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:53 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc touch (telus)
Threadstarter

draderman is a n00b

orb sounds great - ill check it out.

syfire eh? im using opera, and youtube works great. hulu is another story. i live in canada. hulu wont play for anyone outside the states. at home, i use hotspot shield so i can access hulu, but i have yet to find a ppc browser that functions anonymously like hotspot.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Development