PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > TP2 Themes & Software
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2010, 06:17 AM
PPC Geek's writer
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy 4G
Carrier: tmobile

pixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to pixelpower
Re: Opinions Wanted...

1st off I know how you feel you put hours of work and feel if people enjoy your work they should show thanks and offer a buck or 2. I remember when I waas 1st learning how to make games for the cellphone. I really was making them for myself but since people share online , I put out the games for people to download free. I tell you people are demanding!! Some went after me like they payed for the game when I 1st started out. When I buckled down and meet a partner , I decided to make a payed game. It took many hours and lot of planning to make something original and fun. I probaly released 12-15 games for free . The only difference between me and you is you gave out your good stuff for free while I saved the good stuff for commercial release. About 30% of windows mobile users download warez. Another 80% just download freeware. That leaves you with 20% of windows mobile users that buy items. Its a tough market but just keep at it. I read the responses and understand most opinions here. The only ones I dont understand is people that say oh you should just make it and release it free, dont charge for anything. Obviously if thier boss said your not getting payed for 10 hours of work , those same people will flip out. That mentality is why developers move to different platforms and dont stay here. The result is alot of alpha and beta's products. There is alot of good freeware but its getting less and less day by day. I mean there is no such thing as a freeware foodstore or clothing mall Hahahaha. I really dont understand why someone would tell another person to spend 50-100 hours on a project and give it out for free. I do understand if they say well I will never pay for it, thats cool. But no-one here in thier right mind will go on a job and tell the boss I will work for free 3 days out of the week lol thats just silly. Good luck!!!
Old 05-27-2010, 02:04 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC TP2
Carrier: Verizon

joe50000 is a n00b

Well, the world can live without ROMs, but what you're doing is much appreciated.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:43 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

rtwood knows their stuffrtwood knows their stuffrtwood knows their stuffrtwood knows their stuffrtwood knows their stuffrtwood knows their stuffrtwood knows their stuffrtwood knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogelio rios View Post
1st off I know how you feel you put hours of work and feel if people enjoy your work they should show thanks and offer a buck or 2. I remember when I waas 1st learning how to make games for the cellphone. I really was making them for myself but since people share online , I put out the games for people to download free. I tell you people are demanding!! Some went after me like they payed for the game when I 1st started out. When I buckled down and meet a partner , I decided to make a payed game. It took many hours and lot of planning to make something original and fun. I probaly released 12-15 games for free . The only difference between me and you is you gave out your good stuff for free while I saved the good stuff for commercial release. About 30% of windows mobile users download warez. Another 80% just download freeware. That leaves you with 20% of windows mobile users that buy items. Its a tough market but just keep at it. I read the responses and understand most opinions here. The only ones I dont understand is people that say oh you should just make it and release it free, dont charge for anything. Obviously if thier boss said your not getting payed for 10 hours of work , those same people will flip out. That mentality is why developers move to different platforms and dont stay here. The result is alot of alpha and beta's products. There is alot of good freeware but its getting less and less day by day. I mean there is no such thing as a freeware foodstore or clothing mall Hahahaha. I really dont understand why someone would tell another person to spend 50-100 hours on a project and give it out for free. I do understand if they say well I will never pay for it, thats cool. But no-one here in thier right mind will go on a job and tell the boss I will work for free 3 days out of the week lol thats just silly. Good luck!!!
You said it perfectly. Unfortunately many people expect everything on the internet to be free, meanwhile the same people offer nothing in return. Weird sense of entitlement.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:46 PM
Eat Static

popdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIP

One other thing I forgot to add in my other post. Another reason I never ask for donations is that most of my icon sets were derived from other people's work. Only my wallpapers and Poptoon icon set were completely orginal. And they were program generated. I'm no artist. I'm lucky if I can draw a straight line with Photoshop. Asking for money when other people are the real artists just doesn't feel right to me.

Anyway, I noticed that many of your sliders use other people's icons. So will they be getting part of the subscription fee for their hard work? Also, many, if not all icon sets I've come across, usually have a disclaimer that they are for personal use only, not commercial. Charging a subscription sounds like commercial use to me. So I guess I changed my mind on this. If everything you were offering for a subscritption were 100% your own work I would have no problem with it. But since it's not, charging for other people's work is wrong, unless of course the original artists are getting a piece of the pie.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:57 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

rtwood knows their stuffrtwood knows their stuffrtwood knows their stuffrtwood knows their stuffrtwood knows their stuffrtwood knows their stuffrtwood knows their stuffrtwood knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by popdog54 View Post
One other thing I forgot to add in my other post. Another reason I never ask for donations is that most of my icon sets were derived from other people's work. Only my wallpapers and Poptoon icon set were completely orginal. And they were program generated. I'm no artist. I'm lucky if I can draw a straight line with Photoshop. Asking for money when other people are the real artists just doesn't feel right to me.

Anyway, I noticed that many of your sliders use other people's icons. So will they be getting part of the subscription fee for their hard work? Also, many, if not all icon sets I've come across, usually have a disclaimer that they are for personal use only, not commercial. Charging a subscription sounds like commercial use to me. So I guess I changed my mind on this. If everything you were offering for a subscritption were 100% your own work I would have no problem with it. But since it's not, charging for other people's work is wrong, unless of course the original artists are getting a piece of the pie.
The only mods that are using others' artwork which are copyrighted are about 13 sliders. I have contacted each artist and am awaiting response. If they deny my request then I will remove them no problem. All taskbars and clocks were made by me only. Many of the art sources on the sliders are from free commercial use websites like iconsetc and iconspedia or were made by me.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:45 PM
Eat Static

popdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIP

Good of you to contact the other artists. Something to note. Just because you obtained icons from a free site doesn't mean they are free to use as you wish. Most of those sites harvest icon sets from other sources. The link you provided on your site to the Token icon pack from Iconspedia has the following license info:

CC Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.
http://www.iconspedia.com/pack/token-light-228-/

So maybe you should double check everything.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to discourage what you're doing. I appreciate your work. In fact, I'm using one of your sliders. Just giving it to you straight with no sugar coat like you asked.
Old 05-29-2010, 02:41 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: SGS III

fishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the community

I agree your work is great, and I understand the time you put into it too. $10 isn't too much to ask but one of the points made above, that is your charging for it, there needs to be support offered also is very valid. And one issue I have is you will offer a free membership, but only to someone who has also created work of this sort, or a loadable app. What about some of the peeps here who don't have the knowledge to create app/mods, but offer their knowledge in helping new users out? There are a number of users, and I'm not going to mention any names, that clearly go far out of their way to offer assistance rather than constantly posting "search is your friend" but have not created an app or mod themselves. Good luck and keep up the great work!
Old 05-29-2010, 08:18 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

I have slowly but surely been getting approval from the artists. I have a few left but will get permission from all of them soon enough. They have all visited the website and know that it is $10 to download for lifetime.

As far as for good forum members, I cannot go and make sure everyone who emails me is in fact telling the truth. Also, I dont know how to define what a good forum member is and isnt. Saying installable apps makes it easier to distinguish.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:42 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Evo 3D

mwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the community

Well, since you said be honest...I'll never pay for any of your stuff. It's nice work, but I'll just do it myself or find someone else who still enjoys doing it as a hobby. You started out just taking other peoples icons and using cfcgui to place them in newer sense slider files without any credit given. I think all of your posts will be removed from xda since it's basically just advertising now (seems they've had some trouble lately with others trying to sell their stuff from what I've read). Make sure you at least give chainfire some money for giving you some of the tools you use for free . Good luck to you.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:55 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalt2 View Post
Well, since you said be honest...I'll never pay for any of your stuff. It's nice work, but I'll just do it myself or find someone else who still enjoys doing it as a hobby. You started out just taking other peoples icons and using cfcgui to place them in newer sense slider files without any credit given. I think all of your posts will be removed from xda since it's basically just advertising now (seems they've had some trouble lately with others trying to sell their stuff from what I've read). Make sure you at least give chainfire some money for giving you some of the tools you use for free . Good luck to you.
If you make your own slider then please share it with everyone. Make another 25 sliders and share them as well. Then make another 15 or so clock digits. Start working on taskbars (good luck). Then when you realize that even more people want newer stuff and you would love to make them but could use something in return for once, you will understand.

Also, I did not do any of the "replacing icons from others work with cfcgui" as you claim, which makes no sense and is not how you make a slider anyway. I will write a tutorial and post it on the website on how to make sliders, clocks and taskbars. The tutorials will help everyone to make their own or to at least to try and realize how much work goes into them.

I do however thank santod for helping me in the very beginning with sliders.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > TP2 Themes & Software