PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan > Titan Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2009, 06:05 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC 6800 on nTelos

ruceola is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Successfully Flashed Sprint 3.56 ROM to no-name carrier 6800

I (obviously) have the HTC 6800, through a regional carrier here in Virginia called nTelos. Like other small carriers i've read about, they don't lock anything down on this phone.

I've done a good bit of reading and research lately, as i have wanted to update my phone's software to the 3.56 rom version (downloaded from the HTC website) to get many of the updates to the software for this phone. My phone came with something like version 2.8 or something stupid old like that.

After doing a good bit of reading, I finally decided to give it a try, and hope that I didn't brick my phone. And YES! I was able to update my phone to Sprint's software, and it still works properly, very well in fact!

For anyone that is interested, here is what i did:

Download the following items:
Sprint ROM from HTC US website
Exit bootloader app from this thread: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...uck+bootloader
One of the unlockers listed in this thread: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=33857

Here's what i did:

First, I took a backup of my device (used PIM backup, but others are available i believe). However im not sure this does much good should the stuff go FUBAR while you try this.

Next, i ran the EPST program (under windows directory of your phone) and basically wrote down everything i could, just to make sure everything was correct after updating the rom.

I Then followed the instructions to unlock my phone from this thread: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=33857 (same as where we went to get link to download the unlocker as well). Unlock procedure is in the 2nd post of the thread, but definitely read the first post as well.

After i performed this, i actually had to run the exit bootloader app, to get the phone to boot again. (it's really simple!)

Next, i ran the Sprint ROM Update program, which you downloaded earlier.

Once this ran, i think i had to use the exit bootloader app again, i dont remember for certain at this point to be honest. However, once i first booted the phone after running the rom udate, i did do a soft reset a couple of times before it finally finished booting (not sure if i had to do this or not, but there were a few times where it felt like the phone was hung up during the boot, and i thought i was hosed!)

An important note, and this is re-iterated just about everywhere, Once your phone boots completely the first time, you will get a popup box that says "Your phone will now automatically customize itself" (or something of that variation). AS soon as this comes up, you need to soft-reset your phone. If you let the sprint customizations run, and you arent on sprint already, it will (from what i've read) hose you up perty good.

After this step, if your phone boots, you should be working. I went back into the EPST program to verify that everything was the same as before (i changed one or two places).

And i'm not sure if this is necessary or not, but i also called my cell carrier (from a land line) and requested a PRL update sent to my phone, as well as a data reset. Like i said, not sure if that is needed, but i did it anyways.

So, now aside from my nTelos HTC 6800 thinking it's a Sprint phone, it's working great! There are a few places that the phone shows sprint things, but everything is working great for me!!

This should be dumbed down enough for anyone to handle it. I know most of this info is available elsewhere, however i wanted to post this here to kinda make this more cetralized and so forth.

Hopefully anyone else on a no-name carrier such as me will have as good of luck as i had!

btw- the information i've posted here in no way implies that it will work for you, i am only saying what worked for me.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:49 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

digiblur is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardigiblur is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardigiblur is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardigiblur is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Successfully Flashed Sprint 3.56 ROM to no-name carrier 6800

Not sure why you want a stock Sprint ROM on it but to each and their own. I could never go stock again on the 6800.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan > Titan Development