PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2011, 09:46 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

WanderingMinstrel knows their stuffWanderingMinstrel knows their stuffWanderingMinstrel knows their stuffWanderingMinstrel knows their stuffWanderingMinstrel knows their stuffWanderingMinstrel knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
GB EF02 issue

Just loaded EF02 and everything was working great.

Then something weird happened.

My Epic went into airplane mode. When I deselected it in settings, I got a message screen that said to add VPN. What the hell is VPN?

There are 4 choices
add PPTP VPN
add L2TP VPN
add L2TP/ID SEC PSK VPN
add L2TP/IPSEC CRT VPN

When I backscreened, there were a lot of options to enter info (too much to copy down). BAckscreen again got me back to wireless and networks page.

I haven't been able to get that VPN screen back again.
When I deselect Airplane mode, nothing happens until the screen goes black. When I turn it on again, I'm back in airplane mode???

Any ideas about how get my communications connections back? Or how to deal with VPN if it comes up again.

Maybe there's a simple answer? Like another hard reset?

I'm new to this... but not new enough to know I can't call Sprint tech support

Help will be appreciated.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:02 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Re: GB EF02 issue

VPN = Virtual Private Network..its usually a corporate thing..what it effectively does is allows you to access a remote network locally. I am pretty sure thats not what you need..

What modem are you using?

Also..moved.. remember development forum is for roms/mods/themes etc

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 06-20-2011, 11:57 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

WanderingMinstrel knows their stuffWanderingMinstrel knows their stuffWanderingMinstrel knows their stuffWanderingMinstrel knows their stuffWanderingMinstrel knows their stuffWanderingMinstrel knows their stuff

Thanks for moving the thread to the right section, gten.

The VPN was a red herring. I did some research on it. I must have pressed something I didn't know I was pressing when I was trying to get out of Airplane Mode. There is a settings button for it at the bottom of the Wireless and Networks page.

It's a modem issue obviously, because the phone is stuck in AM.

The modem must be the one that came with the EF02 (kernal version 2.6.35.7) build that Darren helped me load. Maybe he can jump in and identify it. I don't know where to look for an identification number.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:30 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: SPRINT EPIC 4G
Carrier: BOOST MOBILE

latinlover515 is just getting started
Wink Re: GB EF02 issue

same here. i dont that have that issue but my phone while iam in a call once in a while the call hangs ny it self.. or my phone shut off like if i hit turned off. or sometimes starts bivrating and the screen goes black and next thing i know the phone turns off by it self and doesnt reboot. so i have to turn it back on manually.. all this started ever since i flashed the EF02 ROM yesterday or i should say monday.. i didnt flash the kernel as they sugested not to flash the kernel.. only used PIT and the PDA file . and after that i i flashed the clockwork and super user... is this crap keeps going i problably go back to EC05 or what ever ...
Old 06-21-2011, 01:54 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Yeah latinlover, I'm with you. It's one of the reasons I stayed on stock for so long. Love the speed and glitz, but...

Did a hard reset today to make sure it wasn't anything stupid that I did to cause the prob. Epic is still in AM. No data, no phone connectivity. Wifi works and everything else works.

How hard is it to reload a modem?
Old 06-21-2011, 02:03 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

you guys both gota realize these are "leaks" and imo very good leaks compared to EE gb leak. i have 0 issues so both of you try updating "firmware" so baseband changes to EF10.

btw may wanna read this thread for more help. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1128331

may help to flash this also. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1129801

Last edited by darren.wlsn1; 06-21-2011 at 02:11 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:10 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

It's a catch22, darren, lol
Can't update firmware because can't connect to Sprint!
Old 06-21-2011, 02:12 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingMinstrel View Post
It's a catch22, darren, lol
Can't update firmware because can't connect to Sprint!
try flashing kernel i just posted in edit. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Last edited by darren.wlsn1; 06-21-2011 at 02:43 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:09 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Just for closure (kinda). Darren coached me on Odin. And I ran an EC05 flash (almost). The turned-off phone started running a battery-charging image and broke the odin connection.

When I turned the phone back on again to check where it was at, EF02 was out of Airplane Mode and working again. WTF. Also lol. I ran for an update to EF10 which I got. Then Sprint tried to update me back to EF02... and then back again to EF10. Which is when I started pushing cancel.

I almost got though odin. And when I figure out why the turned-off phone came alive, I'll flash EC05 back again. It's not as glitzy but it's certainly more stable.

I think that's the end of the story...
Old 06-26-2011, 10:57 AM
nous défions
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S III

Johnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

I am using EF02Plus and I gotta say it rocks. Fast, smooth, stable, but there is one HUGE bug that I have. Every time I use the slide out keyboard, as soon as I am done and I close it my phone shuts off. And when I say shuts off, I don't mean it powers down like a normal shutdown, it turns off like I pulled the battery. Does anyone else have this happening, and is there a fix?

Last edited by Johnny.Bravo; 06-26-2011 at 11:01 AM.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G