PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2011, 11:11 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

testacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartestacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartestacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Fastest MicroSDHC card for Epic

I'm getting ready to flash my two Epics with a new ROM but wanted to get rid of the stock card due to the complaints I've seen on the other forums with them and flashing. Was looking at the 32GB card from Kingston with the 10 rated speed but they seem a tad pricey considering that the Epic might not be able to write with them at that speed. Has anyone benchmarked the 2,4,6 and 10 speeds to see if they top off at all? Does anyone know the bus speed the Epic can talk to an SDHC card?

Anyone know of a good, fast, brand name reliable card that comes in at least 16GB but would consider a 32 for a good price?
Old 06-13-2011, 11:37 AM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Re: Fastest MicroSDHC card for Epic

I dont think there is a class 10 32gb microsd card...the highest one is 32gb class 4

Anyways, the class thing only shows you the minimum speed of the card once it fragmented..aka you can have a class 2 card go on par with a class 10 or even outpace a class 10..once the card begins to fragment it will begin to slow down..the class 2 means it will slow down to no less then 2mb a sec...but it can still be on par with other cards..it just guarantees a minimum...if you format the card and reinstall the data it will be back up to speed.

As for which brand..its a bit tricky as a lot of the cards are made by the same people...you may get a few mb maximum read or write from one over the other but I don't think it makes too much of a difference for cellphone usage. The thing to look out for is fakes..

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 06-13-2011, 12:06 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

testacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartestacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartestacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
I dont think there is a class 10 32gb microsd card...the highest one is 32gb class 4

Anyways, the class thing only shows you the minimum speed of the card once it fragmented..aka you can have a class 2 card go on par with a class 10 or even outpace a class 10..once the card begins to fragment it will begin to slow down..the class 2 means it will slow down to no less then 2mb a sec...but it can still be on par with other cards..it just guarantees a minimum...if you format the card and reinstall the data it will be back up to speed.

As for which brand..its a bit tricky as a lot of the cards are made by the same people...you may get a few mb maximum read or write from one over the other but I don't think it makes too much of a difference for cellphone usage. The thing to look out for is fakes..
Kingston makes a 32GB class 10 but it's ~$110, and I need two of them.

Newegg.com - Kingston 32GB Micro SDHC Flash Card (Card Only) Model SDC10/32GBSP

I still don't know whether or not the Epic can write at those speeds since I don't know the clock speed of the bus to the sd card and can it take advantage of those speeds.

I've just seen complaints about the Samsung SD cards work like the Samsung MicroUSB cables, most problems with flashing pertains to these 2 pieces of hardware which is why I wanted to replace them...

I'm not typically brand loyal but I figured I'd ask what people what they're buying when trading in the Samsung card.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:23 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by testacon View Post
Kingston makes a 32GB class 10 but it's ~$110, and I need two of them.

Newegg.com - Kingston 32GB Micro SDHC Flash Card (Card Only) Model SDC10/32GBSP
Hmm..must have came out recently..last I saw all of the calls 10s were fake but I guess it must have finally came out.

Quote:
I still don't know whether or not the Epic can write at those speeds since I don't know the clock speed of the bus to the sd card and can it take advantage of those speeds.
You can test:

https://market.android.com/details?i...luscek.sdtools

there is also a way to up your speed: (I have not tested this and dont know if it works on Epic you will have to read about it)
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.sdincrease.it

here is another:
https://market.android.com/details?i...e=related_apps

You can also manually change the values if you wish..

Quote:
I've just seen complaints about the Samsung SD cards work like the Samsung MicroUSB cables, most problems with flashing pertains to these 2 pieces of hardware which is why I wanted to replace them...
Hmm...samsung manufactures their own cards and they should be good quality (as they keep the best quality ones for themselves and resell the rest), I know the wires have issues but I think its because they don't have enough shielding...I personally never had problems with my sd card in the phone..so idk what to say...

Quote:
I'm not typically brand loyal but I figured I'd ask what people what they're buying when trading in the Samsung card.
Brand loyalty is over rated..just take w\e works best...I personally try out all brands in general and then have a "like" and "hate" list..rather then sticking to 1 brand.

Last edited by gTen; 06-13-2011 at 12:26 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:08 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
You can test:

https://market.android.com/details?i...luscek.sdtools

there is also a way to up your speed: (I have not tested this and dont know if it works on Epic you will have to read about it)
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.sdincrease.it

here is another:
https://market.android.com/details?i...e=related_apps

You can also manually change the values if you wish..
This is cool, thanks, I have a 2x and 4x card to test out so we'll see what I find out. I'm not looking to spend money needlessly here. Do you know if fragmentation is what causes speed drops or percent of space free? I have no problems, copying the files off the SD card monthly, formatting and then moving the stuff back on again if it speeds things up.

Quote:
Hmm...samsung manufactures their own cards and they should be good quality (as they keep the best quality ones for themselves and resell the rest), I know the wires have issues but I think its because they don't have enough shielding...I personally never had problems with my sd card in the phone..so idk what to say...
I tried to find a link to this but it was either on XDA or Androidforums, people were having issues with flashing with ODIN and multiple people said, first thing change the shipping cable, the next thing was to change your SD card, most of the time it was one of them that caused the problem--according to whatever forum that was, I can't find it now. I should learn to bookmark interesting topics...
Old 06-13-2011, 05:25 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

Quote:
Originally Posted by testacon View Post
This is cool, thanks, I have a 2x and 4x card to test out so we'll see what I find out. I'm not looking to spend money needlessly here. Do you know if fragmentation is what causes speed drops or percent of space free? I have no problems, copying the files off the SD card monthly, formatting and then moving the stuff back on again if it speeds things up.
wasn't the free space thing for SSDS? though class rating is once it fragments that I am positive...and that's a minimum..it can be higher then the minimum.

Quote:
I tried to find a link to this but it was either on XDA or Androidforums, people were having issues with flashing with ODIN and multiple people said, first thing change the shipping cable, the next thing was to change your SD card, most of the time it was one of them that caused the problem--according to whatever forum that was, I can't find it now. I should learn to bookmark interesting topics...
Thats weird considering odin doesn't even touch the SD card..I mean I can take my SD card out and flash with ODIN..how would it make a difference? There might be user data that can cause problems on booting I guess but nothing that a quick SD card format/cleanup cant fix...

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G