PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2010, 08:39 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
My 4g Tethering Investigation Results

Ok, so I have been investigating the roots of the slow 4g tethering speeds and I got some results...

What kind of results? well I was able to download a file @ 500kb/sec..with 1 bar of 4g...and yes thats kbtyes..not bits...thats effectively 4mbit

Higher speeds may be possible but for this test I used 11mbit ad-hoc..whccih I found overall not very stable to begin with..

my first test involved networking the pc and phone over wifi and setup an http server on the desktop, then download on the phone..

effectively I was getting peek speeds of about 5mbit...and lows of around 1mbit...the wifi speed was fairly unstable :/..this may be remedied if a faster then 11mbit network is used..I'll need to do more testing on this. (This was done while wimax was on and off..I didn't see any "major" interference with both being used)

my 2nd test involved the regular wimax tethering..I was getting around 30kb/sec with 1 bar of wimax whih is 240kbit connection >.>..while monitoring the data I noticed that wimax is literally downloading slower...aka the issue is not in wimax -> wifi but actually wimax not performing at its peek speeds..more investigation will need to be done...

my 3rd test I used a hotspot app and created a wireless network between the 2 devices..I created a proxy on the phone and setup firefox to a socks proxy to conenct on the proxy port..this while both wimax and hotspot is running....and then started to download a 300mb file..and as expected..it was uncapped..I was able to get 100kb/sec - 500kb/sec download speeds on the file..with 1 bar of wimax..effectively 800kbit - 4mbit connection...

The low speeds of 800kbit were most likely do to the fluctuations in the wifi...the 4mbit was around what I was getting on speedtest.nett directly on the phone...

So effectively 2 things need to be addressed to attain true 4g tethering:

Option 1:
1) fix wifi fluctuations (or at least have them fluctuation at a higher speeds)
2) find out why wimax is requesting at a slower rate

alternatively:

Option 2:
1) fix wifi fluctuations (or at least have them fluctuation at a higher speeds)
2) proxy all the ports

I will investigate more when I have the time..

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)

Last edited by gTen; 12-02-2010 at 08:43 PM.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:07 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Treo750,HTC Touch PRO, DIAMOND, Palm Pre, Epic 4G
Carrier: AT&T and SPRINT

youngblack is keeping up the good workyoungblack is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
This is the same with wifi and 3g speeds with no bars and maximum I can get is 500 kb ps ... Something quiet fishy with this rom is more than a lag fix zip can fix.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk while your mom was putting her clothes on.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G