PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Site Information > Site News & Announcements
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2008, 11:02 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint

ktulu909 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: ppc geeks download?

Add Cox to that list of ISPs that are dropping DLs anywhere between 10% and 70%
Old 05-08-2008, 11:07 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: vouge and titan

robby37 is becoming a great contributor

seems to be whatever you can get between 4 and 5 mins and thats it
Old 05-09-2008, 10:55 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Apple iPhone 8 Plus
Carrier: At&t

mindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to mindfrost82

I moved this to the Site News forum since it affects more than just Vogue users lol.

OMJ also said he's been having issues uploading to the FTP...not sure what ISP he has.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:59 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

Perasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIP

Thanks Frosty, here's what is happening so far (my most recent message to them is on top.) It's not looking good:
Quote:
Message from you (May 9th, 2008 - 07:55:30 / #2472067)
Subject: FTP question
How is it that all ISPs just suddenly decided TOGETHER that they were going to throttle ONLY FTP? Did the ISPs hold a secret meeting where they said, "Let's screw our users?" I have to believe that, as opposed to every ISP in the world scheming against it's customers, MAYBE Dreamhost is actually the ones having a problem. Please look into it. If anonymous FTP isn't going to work with you guys, then there is no sense using your service.

Quote:
Reply from DreamHost (May 8th, 2008 - 16:20:20 / #17903329)
Subject: Re: No answer yet
Hello,

On Wed, 07 May 2008, you wrote:

> I have anonymous FTP setup at up.ppcgeeks.com. Our downloads keep dropping
> while downloading large files, for example a 50 MB file quits after 5-20 MB.
> This is happening across multiple providers, and I have personally tested via
> Qwest. I don't want to setup sftp as this is an anonymous FTP, so what can
> we do to make this work?

Sorry to hear about your continued FTP issues. We have posted an update
this morning that many other ISPs are in the pool now, unfortunately.

Anon ftp can't use SFTP as that would require a login. What you want to
try is toggling between passive and active mode to see which one works
better with the download. Those using our anon ftp service will also need
to make sure that their client doesn't have a time out limit or any size
limit.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks!
Andrea
Message from you (May 8th, 2008 - 13:33:05 / #2471044)
Subject: No answer yet
I sent in a request yesterday that I still have had no response to. If I have to turn on sftp, then I want to confirm something first. Will those people who are NOT on the ISPs that are throttling have to switch to an sftp connection, or will they be able to use a standard ftp connection still? Will switching to sftp have any affect on my anonymous FTP setup other than people having the additional option of connecting to sftp and ftp?

Message from you (May 7th, 2008 - 15:50:04 / #2469537)
Subject: FTP Connections dropped on anonymous FTP
I have anonymous FTP setup at up.ppcgeeks.com. Our downloads keep dropping while downloading large files, for example a 50 MB file quits after 5-20 MB. This is happening across multiple providers, and I have personally tested via Qwest. I don't want to setup sftp as this is an anonymous FTP, so what can we do to make this work?
So, if those users having problems could set their connections to active and let me know the results, I'd appreciate it. Aaaarrrrgggghhhh, I hate Dreamhost!

Projects: (PeraStats 1.7) (PeraCount with Clock 1.3) (PeraCount 1.3) (PeraProfiler 1.2) (S2U2Lock 1.1)
Old 05-09-2008, 11:04 AM
Banned User
Pocket PC: yo mama
Carrier: yo daddy

Exil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the community

this looks like the issue is at dreamhost end. what d bags over there, they update to only mess things up more. anywaysl how do you set your connection to active?
Old 05-09-2008, 11:08 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Apple iPhone 8 Plus
Carrier: At&t

mindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to mindfrost82

I have a T1 connection at work, with Windows 2003. It runs our company's website. I could setup FTP and we could *try* to copy files over (if we can download them somehow).

The only problem I would have with that is that I might have to throttle download speeds. I wouldn't want the FTP taking up all of our bandwidth and make our internet connection crawl lol.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:48 PM
OMJ
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC 10!!!!!

OMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

I've tried various combinations of settings w/ my ftp client.......none make a difference, connection still drops within a few mins....
Old 05-09-2008, 03:56 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

Perasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIP

It HAS to be Dreamhost. I could see one provider throttling, but not all of them deciding to within the span of 2 days. Now, if THEY would just see how obvious it is that this is their problem and fix it.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:55 PM
OMJ
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC 10!!!!!

OMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

exactly! typical provider not wanting to acknowledge a problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6700Yuma View Post
It HAS to be Dreamhost. I could see one provider throttling, but not all of them deciding to within the span of 2 days. Now, if THEY would just see how obvious it is that this is their problem and fix it.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:15 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: xp

Djhsweet is a n00b

How can I get access to sprint tv on my mogul?

PPCGeeks > Site Information > Site News & Announcements