PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2009, 10:29 PM
The PPCG CR Guy!
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint

Laos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via MSN to Laos101
--01/04/2010 --[FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS] Touch Pro2 FAQ --01/04/2010 --

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Touch Pro2 Edition

This is here to provide quick and easy answers to commonly asked questions about the Touch Pro2 and it's various carrier iterations. Be sure to check up on this thread regularly so you can stay up to date on anything new that may arise!

FAQ Quicklinks

Want to add your own Question and Answer to this thread? Please use the following format below!

Code:
Question (Bold and Italic)
Answer (Red)
Link (Underlined)
Only add a Link if there is a thread applicable to your question and answer!

Important Touch Pro2 Links!

Touch Pro2 Cleanup (Thanks GoodThings2Life!) Touch Pro2 Tweaks and Upgrades (Thanks MightyMike!) CDMA Rhodium HSPL (Thanks to Cmonex and the Elite Team!)CDMA Rhodium Radios (Thanks Juggalo_X!) GSM Rhodium HSPL (Thanks to Cmonex and the Elite Team!)
What are the specs of the Touch Pro2? What's the Resolution, Battery? Etc.
For each Touch Pro2, the specs may vary slightly (Depending on carrier frequency, features, etc.) so this is only listing the most basic, but important, specifications for all Touch Pro2s. Each carrier will also carry a specific spec list

Processor Qualcomm® MSM7200A™, 528 MHz
Memory ROM: 512 MB RAM: 288 MB
Dimensions 116 X 59.2 X 16.65 mm (4.57 X 2.33 X 0.66 inches)
Weight 178.5 grams (6.3 ounces) with battery
Display 3.6-inch TFT-LCD touch-sensitive screen with 480 X 800 WVGA resolution
Battery 1500 mAH
Zoom bar (NOT Capacitive), Adjustable tilt screen, Slide-out 5-row QWERTY keyboard,
Internal GPS, Bluetooth, WiFi (802.11 b/g
3.2 megapixel color camera with auto focus
AC Adapter Voltage range 100 ~ 240V, 50/60 Hz
DC output: 5V and 1A
Dual Speakers/Mics (Speakerphone Mode Only for Mics)

What's WM6.1? What's WM6.5? WM7?
Incase you didn't know already, The Touch Pro2 runs a mobile Operating System known as Windows Mobile, for the ARM architecture.
The stock TP2 (From all American Carriers) comes with Windows Mobile 6.1, the "2007-8" edition of Windows Mobile. It is older, uses older GUI functions and has other minor differences. Windows Mobile 6.5 on the other hand is the "2009" edition of the Windows Mobile Series. It has even further GUI upgrades compared to the 6.1 edition, but they are still relatively the same. However, Windows Mobile, the "2010" edition of the OS, is acclaimed by Microsoft CEO Steve Balmer to be the next phase in Mobile devices. It's said to have features the current WinMo phones lack (Capacitive Screen, GPUs) and revolutionize mobile computing to fix all the "Mistakes Microsoft has made with Windows Mobile so far". Only time will tell!

What is CDMA? What is GSM? Which is my phone?
CDMA (Code Division Multiple Access) and GSM (Global System for Mobile communication) are the two systems of cellular communication currently in use.
Utilizating radio frequencies in different bands, you can access different cellular networks and carriers through the different bands. In this case, there are two major radio bands in North America that result, and both can be connected through either the CDMA or GSM bands.
At the GSM Band, you require a SIM (Subscriber Identity Module) to connect to the carrier's cellular network
At the CDMA band, you do not connect with a SIM card. Instead, your phone has the SIM and identity information built in (Called a ESN, Electronic Serial Number)
Sprint, Verizon, MetroPCS, and US Cellular are all CDMA; meanwhile, AT&T, T-Mobile, and most other carriers are GSM. Some Carriers, such as Telus, are both CDMA and GSM.

Is the CDMA Touch Pro2 Unlocked Yet? (HSPL)
YES! Go here for more information!
http://rhodiumw.htc-unlocks.com/hard-spl.php

What's a ROM? What does it do? How do I Flash a ROM? Etc.
A ROM, or Read Only Memory, is a optimization of the Windows Mobile Operating System for the phone. They come in all shapes and sizes, using different editions of the OS (6.1, 6.5,) be sure to read up on the Upgrades Forum to learn more on ROMs and Flashing. For a full list of terms and definitions, go here!

How can I protect my Touch Pro2?

There are two main options to protect my Touch Pro2. You can use a case, or a skin. A case is often a plastic or metalloid that covers the device and adds bulk, while a skin is a polyurethane layer that goes all over the device and helps protect it.
For Skins, Cases, Accessories, and More, you can check the PPCGeeks Store

Why do I have all this RAM Usage?!
As you use a Windows Mobile Device, RAM will build up even if programs are exited. To help compensate, you'll need to sweep the RAM every so often to keep the RAM optimized.
To help keep RAM open, you can also use these two cabs to gain up to 35MB extra RAM.

What is Insurance? How do I get it? Is it worth it?
Insurance is a feature offered by most carriers where they offer replacements of your phone due to damage aside from wear and tear (Which is not covered by a warranty), and also theft/loss of the device. In return for this service, like any insurance, you pay a monthly fee plus a deductible.
Depending on your carrier, you will have to contact them on regards to the rate, deductible, and conditions. Monthly prices can range anywhere from $5-$10 per month, and between a $89 and $120 deductible.
Just remember! An Unlocked TP2 is close to $400!

Why am I getting all this GPS Lag? Why can't I use TomTom?
Sadly, due to the GPS chip, or some other function, the GPS of the Touch Pro2 will lag anywhere from ten to thirty seconds behind. Along with this, the Bluetooth Stack can be corrupted if certain GPS software is installed (Where the only solution is to Hard Reset).
To fix this, you will need to run a GPS software that is more compatible with the GPS chip.
Based on experience, the most compatible GPS software is Igo8 (Or any North American Variation) as it has the least GPS lag and does not damage the BT Stack.

UPDATE: If you ever have your Text To Speed (TTS) Not working on your IGo8, it means you don't have enough RAM for it to function. The easiest thing to do is to disable HTC Sense/Touch FLO 3D, soft reset, then run IGo8

What is tethering? How do I tether my phone?
Tether is when you connect you phone, via USB or over WiFi, to your PC and use its 3G data connection to connect to the internet. This is great when you can't find any WiFi, but it can be detected by carriers if not performed carefully!
To properly tether, download the top cab (Thanks to MM!), or run a custom rom (wait for HSPL!) You can also tether over WiFi for tethering wirelessly, but it will suck the battery up!

How to I clean up the TF3D Home Screen? How do I remove the curtains?
Once again, thanks to MM's tweak page (Where you can find all kinds of great tweaks,) check his manilla section to remove and change out some of the preferred parts of Manilla (Or TF3D)

How do I disable this annoying "SMS/MMS Sent" message?
Check MightyMike's Tweak Page for a CAB to disable this annoying message default for 6.1. It should be disabled automatically in future 6.5 ROMs.
Please note that the Verizon TP2 Does not support this fix, scroll down to the Verizon section for a specific fix.

Does Google Voice work on the Touch Pro2?
Absolutely! See here for a guide on how to customize GVoice so that it will work like a charm on your Touch Pro2
link: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...41#post1042841

What is this text completion thing making it hard to type? How do I disable it?
What you're looking at is a built in text dictionary completion software for the TP2 called T9, Text Prediction in 9 Keys. It's designed to predict what you're going to type based on common typing, and word associations. If you don't like it, you can disable it by opening your FULL QWERTY keyboard (If you don't have it on, click the arrow next to the keyboard Icon) and clicking the XT9 icon on the left side, it will slide down to ABC and turn off predictive text

Is there a way to easily transfer contacts, phone numbers, etc?
Yes, you can use PIMBackup. PIMBackup (Personal Information Manager and Backup) will take all of your contacts, call history, texts, speed dials, and even mail, and put them in a convenient file. Run the program again and restore the file (After setting up all of your email accounts!) and it will leave you where you were left off. This is great if you hard reset often.
Also, if you like a even simpler setup with a slightly longer setup, you can use Google Sync to backup contacts, mail, etc.

What does it mean by "Cannot Stark Bluetooth Stack" or my Bluetooth wont start!
Usually this means your Bluetooth Stack is screwed up by software. Usually this can be caused by either Tom Tom Garmin or Clean RAM
If your problems originate from Clean RAM, try to soft reset and switch to the beta version (if you haven't already). If this doesn't work or you believe its from something else (such as Tom Tom or Garmin), try the below
Delete from your \Windows Directory
/Windows/BtCoreIf.dll
/Windows/BtSdkCe30.dll
If your stack is still failing to setup, you will need to hard reset your device and avoid such software in the future

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=86090

What's the Zoom Bar? What can I use it for/with?
(Thanks to Dragon2 For hunting down this cab and fix)
The zoom bar is a part of your touch-resistive screen (Not Capacitive!) that allows you to zoom in an out of areas within apps that support it (Opera, and Album for example,) it can also be modified to allow for usage in different apps. For example, this cab will allow you to use your zoom bar to also scroll through contacts, folders, etc. when using the bar. However, it won't mess up your zoom bar in the other applications either!
The Zoom bar is also used to zoom in and out of digital zoom when using your camera.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=92360

I've been reading about something called a "License Server" and Licensing with the HSPLs for CDMA and GSM, what is that?
To prevent freeloading (Reselling), over-downloading, and to manage the usage of the software, cmonex and her Elite Team are using a License Server to manage downloading of the files. Every time the HSPL software is ran on the PC, it "phones home" over the internet to the Elite Team's "License Server". There, it will check if you are or have unlocked multiple phones. As a result, it will allow or deny you to unlock the device depending on how many unlocks you have used. You'r first is seamless, though future ones may result in the inability Unlock.
If you have issues unlocking, you can always PM Cmonex or the rest of the Team on XDA-Developers for support.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/priv...newpm&u=322932

How can I transfer files between my PC and TP2?
There are two main ways to transfer files between the PC and Touch Pro2. Do not use ActiveSync, as it's very slow and requires a lot of attention (It needs to have EXEs manually transferred, and does not always connect, etc.) Another option is MyMobiler, which allow you transfer files quickly using a mobile explorer.
The fasest and most effective way is to purchase a Micro SD Card reader (OR a SD Card reader with an adapter) as its the most quick and reliable method to transfer files.

http://www.mymobiler.com

OMG! Telus/Verizon/CARRIER Has Caught me Tethering and now I have a 1000$ bill! What do I do?!
First and foremost, remain calm. This stuff happens, you need to remain and seek advice in this case to prevent a 1000$ bill from coming on your doorstep. Tethering is not covered in 99% of carriers, and you need a special account to tether with often a cap. Instead, we can "covertly" tether using certain modifications in the device. In order to do so, ensure you have installed THIS cab and have soft reset. This cab will ensure you are not detected when tethering.

Second, if you have been caught. You will somewhat need to fess up. First off, apologize sincerely to your carrier. Second, kindly ask for an amnesty at the cost of a warning or slap on the wrists. If you are a long term customer, or you spend a lot (Family Plan) there is a good chance they will waive it. That, or they pay ask you to pay 10 cents to the dollar. If they don't budge, try to contact Retentions (See Below for carrier specifics) and negotiate your way around the bill.

The worst case scenario is you pay the money. You can try to offer up the cost of a tethering plan instead, go to small claims court, or something else in the long run. But from here on, you're on your own.
*HUGE THANKS TO JUGGALO_X AND MIGHTYMIKE FOR JUMPING ON THIS PROBLEM AND SOLVING IT!*

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=96739

What is HTC Sense? What is Touch FLO 3D? How do they compare?
HTC Sense is the new name for their fleet software of Manilla, or Touch FLO. Touch FLO is a series of today screen replacements that integrate many parts of your phone and make it into a easy to read method. Its commonly seen on almost all HTC windows mobile phone. Including the Vogue, Diamond, Touch Pro, Touch Pro2, Imagio, and More.

HTC Sense is the newest edition, currently only on the HD2 (GSM). However, it has been ported for developer usage to other WVGA Devices (such as the touchpro2 and diamond2). HTC Sense utilizes more RAM and processor power, but offers more features than that of TF3D (standard to the touch pro, touch pro2, etc.). It currently does not have full landscape support either (though some fixes are out to make some landscape usage possible).

Note that HTC Sense UI is only available via ROM Flashing and cannot be installed through a CAB file. Consult your Chef for more information

OMG! My ROM/Phone doesn't work anymore, doesn't do what it could do, is getting buggy, etc.
If you tried something that borked up your phone, you can always hard reset (Start, Settings, Clear Storage, Remember to remove your SD Card!) or always ensure your ROM developer hasn't done an update! Many developers update their releases every week or so at the least. You don't have to always keep up but if you're already hard resetting then you might as well!

Last edited by Laos101; 01-04-2010 at 07:18 AM.
This post has been thanked 74 times.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:29 PM
The PPCG CR Guy!
Threadstarter

Laos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIP
Re: [FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS] Touch Pro2 FAQ

GENERAL FAQ CONTINUED
Continuation of Generic Frequently Asked Questions

THANKS
The thanks goes out to those who helped contribute to this!

Most of the PPCGeeks News Team, Specifically
MordyT
BigDiesel
MightyMike, Juggalo_X, goodthings2life, and others who provided great tweaks.

Last edited by Laos101; 11-17-2009 at 05:02 PM.
This post has been thanked 11 times.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:30 PM
The PPCG CR Guy!
Threadstarter

TELUS FAQ
Telus Mobile Frequently Asked Questions

Telus Quicklinks and Info!
Customer Support (Technical, Account, etc.)
1-866-558-2273 (Or Dial 611 from your phone)
Region Specific Numbers
Vancouver: 604-291-2355
Calgary: 403-387-5825
Eastern Quebec: 1-800-463-8988
Toronto: 416-279-2532
Retentions
Ask for the Save Dept. after calling Customer Support. CONFIRMATION NEEDED
Sales
1-877-481-2332
International Support
1-416-940-5995
International Support (If in U.S.)
1-866-771-9666

What's the deal on that tethering problem? OR WTF I GOT A 1000$ BILL!
Stay Calm. The tetherng problem DOES apply to Verizon and Telus TP2s, so you WILL need THIS cab to fix the problem. After that you should be good. Double check your bill and see the post on the top of this thread for details!

Last edited by Laos101; 11-17-2009 at 05:04 PM.
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:33 PM
The PPCG CR Guy!
Threadstarter

VERIZON FAQ
Verizon Wireless Frequently Asked Questions

Verizon Quicklinks and Info!
1-800-922-0204 (Or Dial 611 from your phone)
Win-Back Dept. (If you want to be won-back after you leave)
Ask for the Win-Back Dept. after calling Customer Support
Save Dept. (Also Known as Retentions)
Ask for the Save Dept. after calling Customer Support.
Sales (TeleSales)
1-800-256-4646
Balance Information
Dial #BAL (#225) from your phone
Data Usage, TXT Usage,
Dial #DATA (#3282) from your phone
Minute Usage
Dial #MIN (#646) from your phone
Global Support (Away from U.S Issues + SIM unlock)
+1-908-559-4899

How do I use my Phone Internationally?
You'll need to contact Verizon Wireless to have the SIM card unlocked for International Usage. You'll also need be in good standing to have it unlocked!
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=91599

Why doesn't the "Disable SMS/MMS Sent" cab work? How do I disable that message?
Unfortunately, Mighty Mike's tweak to disable the SMS/MMS sent popup doesn't work for Verizon TP2s. To fix it, you'll need this cab.
Our thanks goes to 8notime

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=84285

What's the deal on that tethering problem? OR WTF I GOT A 1000$ BILL!
Stay Calm. The tetherng problem DOES apply to Verizon and Telus TP2s, so you WILL need THIS cab to fix the problem. After that you should be good. Double check your bill and see the post on the top of this thread for details!

Why am I always going into 1X?
There are a lot of reasons for this. Some can be due to your location and local service. Another reason can lie within your physical device. Verizon has confirmed that certain TP2s from early production will have difficulty achieving 3G Status (EVDO/3G Signal). The only way to know is to request a replacement for the issue and contact your technical support team, or try to contact a special executive noted in a 1X thread (Below). A good rule of thumb of determining if this can be you, is if you purchased your TP2 prior to the first sell-out (From roughly 9/11 to 9/30?)
Also consider a radio update to improve your signal.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=95785

Last edited by Laos101; 12-11-2009 at 07:22 PM.
This post has been thanked 17 times.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:35 PM
The PPCG CR Guy!
Threadstarter

SPRINT FAQ
Sprint Mobile Frequently Asked Questions

Sprint Quicklinks and Info!
Customer Support For Sprint (Technical, Account, etc.)
888-211-4727 (Or Dial *2 from your phone)
Customer Support (For Nextel)
800-639-6111 (Or Dial *2 from your phone)
Save Dept. (Also Known as Retention)
Dial Customer Support and say "CANCEL"
TeleSales
888-253-1315 (Or dial *7 from your phone)
Fraud Dept.
888-788-0788
Pay by Phone
Dial *3 from your phone
Data Usage, TXT Usage, Minute Usage, ETc.
Dial *4 from your phone
Global Setup (Long Distance Information also here)
1-888-226-7212 (options 1 or 2 depending on situation)
Global Support (Away from U.S Issues)
+1-817-698-4199, (option 3)

Last edited by Laos101; 10-21-2009 at 07:55 PM.
This post has been thanked 15 times.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:37 PM
The PPCG CR Guy!
Threadstarter

I noticed the US Cellular FAQ was empty so thought I'd help out. I will edit this once it is added to post # 6

US Cellular (USCC) Info and FAQ

US Cellular Quicklinks and Info

1-888-944-9400 (Or Dial 611 from your phone)

Hours Of Operation:
Daily: 6 AM - 11 PM (CST)

Holidays: 7 AM - 8 PM (CST)
• New Years Day
• Memorial Day
• Independence Day
• Labor Day
• Thanksgiving Day
• Christmas Day

Contact Customer Care Form
https://www.uscellular.com/uscellula...s/consumer.jsp

Balance Information
Dial #BAL (#225) from your phone
• Rate plan minutes
• Night and Weekend minutes
• Mobile to Mobile minutes
• Text messages sent

US Cellular Roamer Support department
1-888-872-7462 (24 hrs a day)

Device Insurance / Lost or Stolen Phone
1-800-480-0167

US Cellular Frequently Asked Questions
*none yet*

Last edited by Laos101; 03-22-2012 at 06:58 PM.
This post has been thanked 4 times.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:38 PM
The PPCG CR Guy!
Threadstarter

AT&T FAQ
AT&T Wireless Frequently Asked Questions

T-MOBILE FAQ
T-Mobile Frequently Asked Questions
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:34 PM
The PPCG CR Guy!
Threadstarter

*A Final Reservation in case any needed space should pop up*

The thread is open for comments, questions, additions to suggest, etc!
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:38 PM
Big MVP Diesel
Pocket PC: TOUCH PRO 2

BigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to BigDiesel07 Send a message via Skype™ to BigDiesel07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laos101 View Post
*A Final Reservation in case any needed space should pop up*

The thread is open for comments, questions, additions to suggest, etc!
Yes, I have a question.. It is from Bob.. Do you know the Muffin Man?
Old 10-23-2009, 09:19 PM
The PPCG CR Guy!
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDiesel07 View Post
Yes, I have a question.. It is from Bob.. Do you know the Muffin Man?
You mean the one who lives on Drewy Lane?
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2