PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2009, 04:52 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC TP2 from Telus
Carrier: Iusacel, Telcel

jvloyola is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Touch Pro 2 Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by CovKid66 View Post
Definitely takes some getting used to...not having one! I read somewhere that part of the reasoning was that you would have the keyboard out more than in, and therefore did not need a d-pad. I'm not so sure about that myself. One of the places I keep struggling with is messaging, and the inability to scroll up and down messages using the dpad, particularly when you want to scroll above or below the current page. I was so used to doing this with the dpad, and now have to use my finger or stylus. Then if I actually want to delete a message without first opening it it's a bit of a pain because there is no way to highlight a particular message now without tapping it...and that of course opens it.

The obvious advantage is the larger screen (WVGA) though, and I know which I use / need more
Any thoughts about reading books? how are we supposed to "turn" pages now?

Thanks!!

Vinny
Old 08-20-2009, 05:00 PM
Young-E
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: Sprint

Young_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by glidersgalore View Post
I am a Sprint person, but had to go to T-mob to check out the TP2, let me start with WOW, the screen is GREAT, the phone is thinner, and lighter. The back I think looks better than Sprints version, it is kinda the same color as the current TP.TF3D works great, not a big need for the stocks icon though. The program tab has more sections, the camera is better, at least it it appears that way. There is no 3.5 jack(not a big deal to me),With the new 3G they have the speeds were very close on with the speed tests I did compaired my TP. The best thing is the memory card has a slot on the side of the phone, so no need to remove the back cover.
The phone is a little thinner not much but it definitely is not lighter. It may just seem like it because the weight is more spread out. You also still have to take the battery cover off to get to the memory card slot because even though there is a door on the side you can't open it unless you stick a knife in there or something which in return will ruin the device. My cousin has this phone and i have planned with it for several hours
Minnesota Militia/Touch Pro Division
Old 08-21-2009, 05:30 PM
VGhhbmtzIGZvciBwbGF5aW5nI
Pocket PC: Omnia II
Carrier: Telus

CovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIP

I still stand by my original review on page 1, and the pluses I outlined there.

I'll have had this 3 weeks I believe by the end of the weekend, and I can honestly say that I use this device more than any other I've owned in the past. And definitely way more for browsing, and even posting here as I'm doing now, than I would have considered with the TP, and really would not have considered with my Treo Pro if you know what I mean.

Here are my thoughts after about 3 weeks of use...

Pros
  • Keyboard is the absolute biggest pro. I love typing on this thing. With the TP I found myself using the SIP almost as much as the slider. Now I never use the SIP
  • Screen size is still a pro i.e. the W in WVGA
  • Tilt is a nice pro
  • Build quality -solid with no creaks (Telus model)
  • I personally like the slightly raised volume and power buttons. I did not like the fact they were virtually flush on the TP. At least I can find them now without having to look first!
  • New Bluetooth software interface is vastly improved and makes ActiveSync and File Transfer a breeze. I use File Transfer way more now, and always tended to pop my SD card out on the TP and transfer files that way for ease before
  • No overheating issues!!!
  • Battery is lasting longer than the TP...no real stats or #'s though sorry. Let's just say that I no longer worry about it running out if I'm on wifi and browsing for a few hours like the TP did
  • 3.5mm jack -I typcially never used by TP as an MP3 because of that. Can't say I've used the TP2 much for it either as yet, but I have used it a few times and it does make a big difference in terms of cable / connector clutter

No Issues
  • Size /weight has not been a pro or con -I can't say I've noticed it -not as far as coming from a TP is concerned anyway. However, if you're going from something like a Diamond, you're gonna notice it!
  • Phone features (calling/receiving) seems the same in terms of functionality
  • Can't say I've really noticed a difference in terms of call quality...but I'm not a huge phone call user, and use a BT headset for the most part when I do
  • I do not use TF3D so I can make no comments on the main UI sorry

Cons
  • Lack of a dpad is somewhat of a con. This will mean more to some and less to others. Gamers may hate not having it for instance.
  • Lack of a CTL key is a bit of a pain when you need a copy/paste and the tap and hold isn't available
  • Microsoft Voice Command takes longer to initiate when I press my BT headset button -and perhaps it's just me, but less reliable in terms of initial recognition too! I love that app too I will try another version I already have soon and see if it makes a difference
  • Lack of custom ROMs a real con But I know they're just around the corner baby!
My pros/cons are primarily hardware based. I won't comment too much on software in general as to me that's a moot point. Custom ROMs and 3rd party apps help in that department. In terms of software, everything I've always used still seems to work just fine. I use SprintDB for a database app and the extra screen size is a big plus there. And the same goes for SPB MobileShell 3...it rocks on the new screen!

Hope this helps.

Last edited by CovKid66; 09-15-2009 at 12:30 PM.
This post has been thanked 9 times.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:12 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo No 4g

akayareal is keeping up the good workakayareal is keeping up the good work

How is the sound quality as far as MP3s are concerned. I understand call quality is good with the speakerphone but what about bass heavy songs and things of that sort.

And can everyone else report that this phone doesn't have an over heating problem like the tp.

Evo on 3g

Old 08-23-2009, 10:45 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: T-Mobile

Baron Baron is just getting started

how about scratch-proofness? does it scratch easily? (front and back)
Old 08-24-2009, 03:36 PM
VGhhbmtzIGZvciBwbGF5aW5nI
Pocket PC: Omnia II

CovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Baron View Post
how about scratch-proofness? does it scratch easily? (front and back)
The finish on the back of the Telus model seems pretty scratch resistant, as opposed to something like the shiny black finish on the Treo Pro that I had. It picked up scratches easily and I'm not heavy handed! I'm 3 weeks in and not a mark yet -however, I tend to look after my devices really well. I have a screen protector on and that is helping the display. There are some minor marks on it, but that's why you put the protector on anyways right.

Overall very happy. Watch me drop it this afternoon now !
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:46 PM
Young-E
Pocket PC: TP2

Young_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by akayareal View Post
How is the sound quality as far as MP3s are concerned. I understand call quality is good with the speakerphone but what about bass heavy songs and things of that sort.

And can everyone else report that this phone doesn't have an over heating problem like the tp.
Just think about. The speakers have been upgraded for the speakerphone and conference calling. There are dual speakers and an amp. You play music through the speaker phone so naturally it will sound better then before. My cousin has the t mobile TP2 and the music sounds sooooo good. Nice, loud and crisp. definitely better than the original touch peo. If you listen to alot of music on your phone as i do, you will no be disappointed at all. I am an artist and actually listen to music and write on my phone so if it is sufficient for me im sure someone who just listens to music will definitely enjoy it.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:10 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: LG Optimus 7 and Samsung Focus (unlocked)

jessiethe3rd knows their stuffjessiethe3rd knows their stuffjessiethe3rd knows their stuffjessiethe3rd knows their stuffjessiethe3rd knows their stuffjessiethe3rd knows their stuffjessiethe3rd knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to jessiethe3rd
Thumbs up Time for a review...

It's been 2 weeks now with my Touch Pro 2. We have been our ups... we've been through our downs... we are now married and you know what? I couldn't be more happy - I made the right decision.

I have used many HTC Winmo devices... for that matter I have been a heavy Winmo user since well... hmm... The Hitachi G1000... any of you remember this device?

But I digress... the review of the TP2. So what's the TP2 about... really? SCREEN. REAL ESTATE. Room to move, room to view... room for whatever you like. When I look at the TP2 the obvious jumps outs and hits you upside the head with a hammer - the device is almost pure screen on the TP2 side... in comparison the Touch Pro looks well... dinky. No the TP is not a dinky device at all but once you get the screen on the TP2 a whirl you won't want anything else. 800x480 is a fantastic resolution for viewing websites, pictures, and text messaging. Popping the TP2 into landscape I am treated with widescreen goodness. It's absolutely fantastic. Pop the soft QWERTY and you are treated with plenty of screen REAL ESTATE to view and type at the same time.

Sensativity is WAY up on the TP2 vs the TP. They have made some solid strides. There is a little bit of slack between the screen press and the actual contact (maybe this is because the screen is larger?) and I do not mind it at all. When scrolling through things, closing applications, and just general use you can tell a difference. No it's not as precise as a capacitive iPhone but it is a big step in the right direction... and I can see this as being HTCs last chapter in resistive screens (I am all for it if they can allow me to still use my stylus when I want to here and there.)

There really isnt a comparison from a keyboard perspective. Yes they both can type letters on the screen. One obviously has a MUCH better experience. The give on the keyboard has been mentioned in many previous reviews so I won't go into a long explanation. The lack of a control button didn't actually bug me until someone said something about it. One does have to use the screen for things like c,c,p but overal the keyboard is like no other device I have used with a QWERTY hardware keyboard. Speed, efficiency, and good tactial feel mark a very professional messaging input system.

Here's some applications I use a lot and a bit of information on the experience with the HTC Touch Pro2 versus HTC Touch Pro.

Garmin XT - more to see... in landscape - BAM its perfect - one needs not buy a stand alone GPS device now.

Email - More to see... Cleartype on the landscape... it looks looks absolutely great. TP? Looks okay but nothing like the TP2.

Music - I plug in my headset to the TP2 and listen. TP? I look for my dongle, plug the doggle into the TP, plug my earphones into the dongle and listen. One less step, one less thing to remember... as a matter of fact I had music loaded on the TP but never used it because of the time and energy it took to keep track of one more piece.

SPB TV - Cramped on TP - TP2 with the screen tilt function it's fantastic. I can set up the TP2 and just sit back and watch movies, news, etc... it's great!

Texting - I like TF 2.1 - I really like the contact card and the ability to send text right from TF versus the 6.1 SMS application. Threaded or not TF 2.1 is just better then 6.1. I have an updated ROM on my old TP but the screen real estate mading doing texting in TF 2.1 just a better experience then the TP.

I could go on and on... quick summary of the pros and cons...

Pros:
SCREEN
KEYBOARD
TF 2.1 native
3.5mm socket
Battery Life

Cons:
Sort of miss the hardware controls
Zoom bar needs more uses
Not really happy with the inability to assign buttons to different tasks (I use Voice Commander - don't want to give it up to other applications)
Wish the screen tilted just a TAD bit more!
Wish there was a speaker phone hardware button
Would of liked to have a magnetic stylus
Wish Telus would of packed a good case with the device
Old 08-25-2009, 11:06 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

TripleAgent is just getting started
Re: Time for a review...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiethe3rd View Post
It's been 2 weeks now with my Touch Pro 2. We have been our ups... we've been through our downs... we are now married and you know what? I couldn't be more happy - I made the right decision.

I have used many HTC Winmo devices... for that matter I have been a heavy Winmo user since well... hmm... The Hitachi G1000... any of you remember this device?

But I digress... the review of the TP2. So what's the TP2 about... really? SCREEN. REAL ESTATE. Room to move, room to view... room for whatever you like. When I look at the TP2 the obvious jumps outs and hits you upside the head with a hammer - the device is almost pure screen on the TP2 side... in comparison the Touch Pro looks well... dinky. No the TP is not a dinky device at all but once you get the screen on the TP2 a whirl you won't want anything else. 800x480 is a fantastic resolution for viewing websites, pictures, and text messaging. Popping the TP2 into landscape I am treated with widescreen goodness. It's absolutely fantastic. Pop the soft QWERTY and you are treated with plenty of screen REAL ESTATE to view and type at the same time.

Sensativity is WAY up on the TP2 vs the TP. They have made some solid strides. There is a little bit of slack between the screen press and the actual contact (maybe this is because the screen is larger?) and I do not mind it at all. When scrolling through things, closing applications, and just general use you can tell a difference. No it's not as precise as a capacitive iPhone but it is a big step in the right direction... and I can see this as being HTCs last chapter in resistive screens (I am all for it if they can allow me to still use my stylus when I want to here and there.)

There really isnt a comparison from a keyboard perspective. Yes they both can type letters on the screen. One obviously has a MUCH better experience. The give on the keyboard has been mentioned in many previous reviews so I won't go into a long explanation. The lack of a control button didn't actually bug me until someone said something about it. One does have to use the screen for things like c,c,p but overal the keyboard is like no other device I have used with a QWERTY hardware keyboard. Speed, efficiency, and good tactial feel mark a very professional messaging input system.

Here's some applications I use a lot and a bit of information on the experience with the HTC Touch Pro2 versus HTC Touch Pro.

Garmin XT - more to see... in landscape - BAM its perfect - one needs not buy a stand alone GPS device now.

Email - More to see... Cleartype on the landscape... it looks looks absolutely great. TP? Looks okay but nothing like the TP2.

Music - I plug in my headset to the TP2 and listen. TP? I look for my dongle, plug the doggle into the TP, plug my earphones into the dongle and listen. One less step, one less thing to remember... as a matter of fact I had music loaded on the TP but never used it because of the time and energy it took to keep track of one more piece.

SPB TV - Cramped on TP - TP2 with the screen tilt function it's fantastic. I can set up the TP2 and just sit back and watch movies, news, etc... it's great!

Texting - I like TF 2.1 - I really like the contact card and the ability to send text right from TF versus the 6.1 SMS application. Threaded or not TF 2.1 is just better then 6.1. I have an updated ROM on my old TP but the screen real estate mading doing texting in TF 2.1 just a better experience then the TP.

I could go on and on... quick summary of the pros and cons...

Pros:
SCREEN
KEYBOARD
TF 2.1 native
3.5mm socket
Battery Life

Cons:
Sort of miss the hardware controls
Zoom bar needs more uses
Not really happy with the inability to assign buttons to different tasks (I use Voice Commander - don't want to give it up to other applications)
Wish the screen tilted just a TAD bit more!
Wish there was a speaker phone hardware button
Would of liked to have a magnetic stylus
Wish Telus would of packed a good case with the device
Thanks for the feedback. I had the G1000, lol. Wow, what a difference a few years makes. I am sold! I'm tired of these TP1 issues, just waiting for Sprint now...
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:36 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Carrier: VZW

mrsamtee is keeping up the good workmrsamtee is keeping up the good work

anyone use remote desktop on tp2. with the bigger screen how does it pan out?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2