PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2008, 07:35 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910
Carrier: Verizon Wireles

darkmaniac7 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
cant seem to get GPS to work no matter what

so ive trued everything ive been on this board since 11 last nite and had all my info/contacts erased and still cant get it, i have an Alltel HTC Touch, have used the alltel firmware, and installed drivers, have tried getting the kitchen to work and have tried gettofreereyder's and cant even get those installed without it saying an error has occured, all i want is the damn GPS to work. if anyone can help or needs more info please post and ill get back ASAP, for now im going to sleep....
Old 07-06-2008, 08:43 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Sprint TP; XV6900 before; XV6700 first
Carrier: was Verizon, now saving on Sprint

fredcatsmommy knows their stufffredcatsmommy knows their stufffredcatsmommy knows their stufffredcatsmommy knows their stufffredcatsmommy knows their stufffredcatsmommy knows their stuff
Re: cant seem to get GPS to work no matter what

I've attached a cab that I used when I had the alltel rom that worked if I remember correctly. Hope this works for you!
Attached Files
File Type: zip ALLTEL_GPS_ENABLE.zip (110.4 KB, 49 views) Click for barcode!
Old 07-06-2008, 10:00 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

darkmaniac7 is a n00b

thanks for the cab but so far been trying with GPS viewer and googlemaps and nothing for the last 10 minutes what firmware did u upgrade with?
Old 07-06-2008, 08:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Vogue (Okta)
Carrier: TCNZ

MattOktaNZ is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmaniac7 View Post
thanks for the cab but so far been trying with GPS viewer and googlemaps and nothing for the last 10 minutes what firmware did u upgrade with?
Try this...

1. Go outside
2. Soft reset your phone
3. Open GPS viewer connected to COM4
4. Put phone down and leave in the one spot (in open area)
Old 07-07-2008, 09:01 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: VzW 6900
Carrier: vzw

640k is just getting started

Try changing your baud rate to something faster.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:40 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Alltel

armus is becoming a great contributor

boy there are some wierd posts on this thread. I'm with Alltel and have fought with the GPS issue ever since the official release. What I can tell you is that the official alltel rom does enable GPS in a very slight way. It does not get a lock in forever but there are upgrades that will make it work within about a minute.

This is what I use because I want a custom rom. See below for other details. Install the leaked sprint rom on top of the official alltel rom.
ftp://up.ppcgeeks.com/Vogue/Users/OM..._0823_Test.exe
Only the leaked sprint rom works. the new sprint rom is incompatible with the rest of this. Once flashed, restart the phone before customization. Don't let it run or else it will screw up a lot of stuff. Now install a good working rom with the updated drivers. I use OMJv2
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...30&postcount=1

Install the Alltel version. I use the full custom as it has the apps for GPS and a lot of other useful apps. You can let customization run on it, and probably should.

Almost home, install PPST.eve for Alltel from this thread:
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...&postcount=139
install to your main memory. From file explorer, go to the windows folder and run PPST.exe. It will offline the radio, upgrade something and then reset the phone.

Optional - but seems to hit some alltel folks like me - when your phone is back up you may get a roaming indicator flashing frequently. Sometimes PPST resets your SID number (does for me and at least one other person I know) Run EPST on edit mode (its in the windows folder). The code to unlock should be 000000 unless you've been really tinkering like I did once. Left soft key scroll down to SID/MSID. You'll see a list of numbers like 120/65565..... if the first number is a 1/65565 your SID has been reset. Only Alltel can tell you the proper number for this, it's area specific. Call tech support and get it - very handy number to have and remember should this happen again. Edit the number and change the 1 to your SID. Hit ok and it will save it and reboot the phone.

Make sure your location settings are turned on, this is under settings>personal>phone second tab. If off, turn them on. I like to reboot the phone after changing this, may not be necessary.

Your done now. Fire up GPSViewer and change ports to Com4, hit open GPS. It may take a minute or three some rare times but it will get a lock.

SIDENOTE: the new sprint rom RC2 does work stock for Alltel Roms however no one has made a custom rom off this that works for Alltel. I would prefer a custom rom as sprint roms in general have too much sprint crap in them (3-sided cube, apps, no alltel blue theme, etc) OMJ3.02 does not get a GPS lock on radio 3.43 for me. From stock RC2, you can load GPSViewer and get a lock in about 20-30 seconds. I'm still hoping someone will come through with a good version for us but there's decidedly too little Alltel support on these boards and as much as I'd like to, I don't have the time to figure out how to make a complete custom rom.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:43 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

darkmaniac7 is a n00b

awesome thanks a ton armus, this is what ive really been needing will work on doing this asap after i get this tom tom maps pack put on my card, and matt that seemed to work but it took me 30 minutes to get it to lock, so i guess that s normal for the alltel firmware? also what does changing the baud rate higher than 4800 do? also when trying to install the leaked sprint rom i get an invalid vendor ID for some reason form the one in your post, whats the cause of that?hmm same thing with the alltel custom rom i keep getting a error 262 or something....any ideas?

Last edited by darkmaniac7; 07-07-2008 at 04:19 PM.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:40 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Alltel

armus is becoming a great contributor

invalid vendor id on the leaked rom? that shouldn't happen at all but it's a bit out of my range. You plug the phone into the puter, run the rom and it says invalid vendor id? never heard of a rom doing that.

OH WAIT! have you run the unlocker? You have to have ImCokeman's 2.31 unlocker installed. will get a link
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...77&postcount=1
be sure you load the 2.31 unlocker. that works with all radio versions 3.x and is required to load any custom rom. my bad, just assumed you knew

The baud rate shouldn't be changed, 4800 is what the hardware uses. The alltel rom locking in 30 minutes is about right, which is why you use the sprint leaked.

Last edited by armus; 07-08-2008 at 10:43 AM.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:45 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

darkmaniac7 is a n00b

lol my bad...wow...yea i didnt think of doing that since i automatically upgraded to the alltel one right away and saw sprint ppl doing the same, i didnt think about the unlocker...wow i feel like an idiot....

edi: ok i flashed to the sprint firmware and it comes up great, i restarted before the customizations, and now i cant connect to my PC or use it or activate it what do i do?

edit x2: kk got it working again something about advanced feature in USB or something its all running now about to test out GPS Locks!

Last edited by darkmaniac7; 07-08-2008 at 03:40 PM.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:13 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

darkmaniac7 is a n00b

alright so it works....just not any better than before i installed the sprint firmware than overwrit it with the OMJv2 alltel firmware then ran the PPST.exe and it still around 7-8 mins for a sat lock, inside or outside.

also ive been playing with the radio settings, with SUPL GPS, canged gps mode frome 2, to 1, to 4 as it is currently and no effect either on that end.

anyone have any idea? is it something i didnt do right?

Last edited by darkmaniac7; 07-09-2008 at 03:59 PM.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue