PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan > Titan Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2008, 11:27 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: xv6800
Carrier: Verizon

Geckotek is keeping up the good workGeckotek is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How to upgrade an xv6800 with the new Sprint ROM

Here are the steps I have successfully used many times to upgrade my xv6800 to the new radio and a custom ROM.

1) For good measure, perform a hard reset by holding down the 2 softkeys while pressing the reset button then press R
2) Just in case record your MSID, MDN, and if you can see it A Key from the PST. You can get there by dialing ##778 Send and using 000000 as your code (I've never been able to see my A Key)
3) Install Olipro 2.4 bootloader (during installation of the bootloader, after disconnecting and reconnecting the cable from your phone, the RUU instructs you to make sure you have an ActiveSync connection. Ignore this, it is not necessary.)
*When complete be sure to disable USB in ActiveSync to get out of the bootloader (File -> Connection Settings -> Uncheck "Allow USB connections") Re-enable this before the next step
4) Install the new Sprint ROM
*DO NOT LET THE SPRINT CUSTOMIZATIONS RUN!!! When the flash is complete and you arrive at the Welcome screen it will ask you to tap the screen to proceed, DO NOT PROCEED ANY FURTHER. If using DCDs kitchen you can proceed to flash from here. I can't speak for others although I believe they will do the same.
5) Finally, install the custom ROM of your choice. I am successfully using DCDs 3.0.1 without any issues.

Things to note:
1) I never let the Sprint ROM boot up and run the customizations
2) I had the slow signal aquisition issue so ran *22802 then hit End as soon as it connected
3) I also re-entered the MSID and MDN
4) After performing steps 2-3 I no longer have the slow signal issue
5) No A key was necessary
6) I never had to run *228 to OTA program (in the past programming with *228 has reversed the effect of re-entering the MSID and MDN)

The theory is that the Stock Sprint updater copies your PST settings out before the install then restores them post-install. This is why I never needed to dial *228 or re-enter my A Key

GPS is running great
Not sure about Rev A, still need to tether and test

If you have suggestions on ways to improve this guide, please let me know.

Last edited by Geckotek; 03-17-2008 at 10:53 AM.
This post has been thanked 12 times.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:30 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: iPhone4
Carrier: AT&T

Certs is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Re: How to upgrade an xv6800 with the new Sprint ROM

AWESOME!!! I am very happy right now, glad you could sacrifice some time for this!
Old 03-13-2008, 11:41 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: XV6900

BrandonXV6800 is a n00b

First of all I would like to say thank you from all of us XV6800 guys

Just have a couple of questions...
"*When complete be sure to disable USB in ActiveSync do get out of the bootloader"
Did you mean to get out of the bootloader?
Im guessing this a easily accessible setting in activesync? (Im at work)
Also when you stated...
"*DO NOT LET THE SPRINT CUSTOMIZATIONS RUN!!! When the flash is complete and you arrive at the Welcome screen, DO NOT PROCEED ANY FURTHER."
How do I stop it at that point?

Those are about the only questions I have. This post is great. I am very excited now to give this a shot.
Thanks so much Geckotek
Brandon
Old 03-13-2008, 11:48 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonXV6800 View Post
First of all I would like to say thank you from all of us XV6800 guys

Just have a couple of questions...
"*When complete be sure to disable USB in ActiveSync do get out of the bootloader"
Did you mean to get out of the bootloader?
Im guessing this a easily accessible setting in activesync? (Im at work)
Also when you stated...
"*DO NOT LET THE SPRINT CUSTOMIZATIONS RUN!!! When the flash is complete and you arrive at the Welcome screen, DO NOT PROCEED ANY FURTHER."
How do I stop it at that point?

Those are about the only questions I have. This post is great. I am very excited now to give this a shot.
Thanks so much Geckotek
Brandon
Thanks, I have made edits. Please review. Please let me know your results and any feedback that might improve this guide.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:56 AM
Lurker

BrandonXV6800 is a n00b

"*DO NOT LET THE SPRINT CUSTOMIZATIONS RUN!!! When the flash is complete and you arrive at the Welcome screen it will ask you to tap the screen to proceed, DO NOT PROCEED ANY FURTHER."

What do I do if Im not tapping the screen? it says, "DO NOT PROCEED ANY FURTHER." Does that mean I get out of it somehow?
Thanks a lot, you are awsome!
Brandon
Old 03-13-2008, 12:08 PM
Retired Staff

Certs is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on rep

It means soft reset before the customizations run. I think you have to wait until the WELCOME wizard has completed, but I am not sure.

To be safe: When the screen says "Your device will customize in 3...2..." then RESET (soft reset, pinhole method) before the countdown ends
Old 03-13-2008, 12:16 PM
Lurker

BrandonXV6800 is a n00b

Okay so...

To perform a soft reset, you just press a pin in the pinhole under the phone. No need to hold it in, im assuming?

and to....

Perform a hard reset, you press and hold both soft keys and then
press and hold the reset button until a screen comes up asking if you
want to perform a full reset. Press 'R' to reset. Then press <spacebar>.

Is this correct? Just making sure. Man, I am defiantly donating to this site. the support is amazing!
Thanks,
Brandon
Old 03-13-2008, 12:18 PM
Retired Staff

/\ Correct
Old 03-13-2008, 12:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonXV6800 View Post
"*DO NOT LET THE SPRINT CUSTOMIZATIONS RUN!!! When the flash is complete and you arrive at the Welcome screen it will ask you to tap the screen to proceed, DO NOT PROCEED ANY FURTHER."

What do I do if Im not tapping the screen? it says, "DO NOT PROCEED ANY FURTHER." Does that mean I get out of it somehow?
Thanks a lot, you are awsome!
Brandon
Actually, you can just leave it on the welcome screen or manually put it into bootloader and move forward with flashing the ROM of your choice.

When it's on the welcome screen, it is connected via AS. I can't speak for other custom ROMs, but DCDs kitchen will take it from there an boot it up to the bootloader.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:54 PM
Lurker

BrandonXV6800 is a n00b

Okay, so I'll manually put it into boot loader. I would like to then load DCDs 3.0.1. Do I have to use a RUU or is this an exe and will boot okay on its own?
Thanks,
Brandon

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan > Titan Development